4.0 out of 5 stars Fun addition to our study of early American history
Published on January 9, 2007 by teachingmytwo

3.0 out of 5 stars A little better than the other History Pockets
While the History Pocket books are great for making a book, they are a little boring by themselves. There is too much coloring and not enough learning. We have learned more by reading library books, the encyclopedia, watching an educational show, or talking about the subjects.

Published on May 20, 2007 by A. bauman

3.0 out of 5 stars A little better than the other History Pockets, May 20, 2007
This review is from: History Pockets: Life in Plymouth Colony, Grades 1-3 (Paperback)

When we purchased these, I liked the idea. But, after wasting a lot of our homeschool day with the children coloring (by day 3, coloring had turned into scribbles) I decided to use these as supplemental activities. We read and do art projects. We talk about the subjects.

My kids liked their pilgrim puppets, the diorama of the room... and that is about it...

We have several of the HP products. Now, we let the kids chose which ones looked "fun", and skip the rest.

While it is nice to have a book to look at afterwards, I feel they do not serve a great purpose. (And they are a waste of printer paper and ink.) They are nice if you need a "work sample" for school, but I feel they are just "busy work". History can be learned in much more interesting ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun addition to our study of early American history, January 9, 2007
I used this with my children, ages 7 and 9, to supplement our study of the colonies. It is a fun, hands on way to learn about the different aspects of colonial life. There are eight chapters with simple projects to do in each, and a pocket to store the things in for each chapter. The eight chapters are Voyage to the New World, The New World, Building a Village, Home Sweet Home, The Family, Working in Plymouth Colony, Going to School, What Did the Pilgrims Give Us? The projects involve paper, cutting and pasting, some writing, coloring, diaramas, and a vocabulary page for each chapter/pocket. My only complaint is that some of the projects get pretty repetitive, lots of cutting and glueing. I have other History Pockets books and we will probably only use parts of them, rather than do all the projects in all the pockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars History Pockets Plymouth Colony, October 10, 2007
We loved this product. We use it as an addition to our current curriculum, My Father's World. We liked the books and the word cards in addition to the other projects. I would recommend this product to anyone. 12x18 construction paper can be found at Millers Pads and Paper on line. Great hands on project with easy to follow instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars love pockets, June 12, 2014
Pockets are a great way to engage your students. They are creating and having fun learning at the same time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 3, 2014
MK (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I teach 2nd and 3rd grade and the History Pockets are a great resource - especially for Core Knowledge schools. I find the content most appropriate for high functioning 3rd graders. I can't imagine a 6th grader doing some of the activities. Some seem too primary for that old of a kiddo.Crafty and hands on, much better than worksheets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Supplemental Resource, February 23, 2014
The projects in this particular book can be a good supplement for Pilgrim studies, especially for homeschoolers who are looking for particular activities and ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for homeschoolers!, December 10, 2013
Great history lessons incorporating interesting and memorable crafts and vocabulary. This is my second history pocket and I am not disappointed. I love the ease of using this along with the ability to use from Grades 1 - 3. Great for homeschooling and I can use this additional years and go into further detail along with doing more involved crafts so it doesn't seem repetitive. Love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, November 8, 2013
My 6 year old just started this yesterday and loves it. She is a very active child and it has been hard to get her to focus on seatwork in math and writing. I still had to encourage her a lot in the coloring and cutting parts at times (to me these are super easy), but she really got into presenting what she did and did her own oral report because she wanted to. She liked "teaching" us the information she learned and it has helped her practice her reading skills exceptionally. She is also learning by repeating the content without becoming bored. I'm impressed, because the learning seems to be in the long term memory instead of short term from just covering it briefly. My child had trouble sitting still/listening in public school last year and we are homeschooling this year. Thanks for a great resource Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars homeschool approved, November 2, 2013
SUPERMOM (APPLETON WISCONSIN) - See all my reviews
i homeschool so this worked awesome with what we where learning for the month my daughter liked putting it together thanks for fast delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Some fun projects, July 11, 2013
I got this book to teach my 3rd grade students about the Pilgrims. It really involved a LOT of copying and organizing on my end, as well as purchasing quite a bit of supplies. I think if I was home schooling, it wouldn't be so bad, but for my 15 students it started adding up. If you do this, I would definitely stretch it out over about 2 weeks of school. We did ours in about 3 days because of when I got the book, and it was TOO MUCH coloring, cutting, and pasting for that short a time. I will use this again, but will definitely spread it out over a longer period of time to do only 1 pocket a day, and I may not do all the pockets. Also, some things were difficult for my 3rd graders to do on their own, so I felt like I spent the whole time rushing around helping them cut tricky things, tie string, etc., so if you are working with younger kids, keep that in mind. The students DID enjoy the projects, for the most part, and it was really nice for them to have this artifact to take home right before Thanksgiving, but it was pretty labor-intensive on my part. Again, if you home school, I think it would be much easier since you don't have to do everything x15-30 kids. All in all, I am glad I used this book.

History Pockets: Life in Plymouth Colony, Grades 1-3
History Pockets: Life in Plymouth Colony, Grades 1-3 by Jill S. Norris (Paperback - January 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $10.52