4.0 out of 5 stars This is the Civil War resource for you!, June 12, 2008
D. K. Hayes (Central Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
I used History Pockets: The American Civil War as a welcome enrichment to my 5th Grade US History textbook. Students enjoyed the variety of projects as well as a break from their textbook. While appropriate for all students, this book is of particular value to students who are hands-on learners. Parents liked the fact that their children came home with a concrete example of learning. I use a variety of resources, but the History Pockets series is the most valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a unit study, September 13, 2008
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
recently purchase about 8 of the titles in this series. We started with the Civil War pockets since my 10 year old son is most interested in American War History. (After this one I intend to go back in time and do the Ancient, Native Americans, Explorers, Colonial America, REvolutionary and Moving West.)

These books are the backbone of my American History curriculum for our homeschooling. I then supplement the sections we are most interested in with library books, videos and internet sources. In addition to history we are learning United States Geography. Each section, we pick a state to learn about that corresponds in some way to the lessons. For instance, we are currently doing the "Leaders" section in the civil war book so we are listening to a boigraphy of Robert E. Lee and studying the state of Virginia, his home state.

My 6 year old son isn't getting into it too much but needs the hands-on activities as well as the practice sitting still and listening to me! Especially for him I like to read a picture book that corresponds with the activities. (the older kids aren't too old for picture books either and seem to enjoy it)

My 10 year old son is really enjoying it and wants to do it everyday. He enjoys taking his time and making the coloring and crafty parts very neat. He says that he likes this class because afterwards he has something he created which can help him remember the material- and he feels proud about the nice work he has done and can show it to "Papa" when he comes home from work.

My 11 year old daughter is a little less enamoured but is willing. It does seem to be growing on her - especially the additive geography that we are doing.

The prep time is pretty minimal- making a few copies, organizing supplies, getting the corresponding library materials and doing some internet searches perhaps. We also hung a large timeline on the wall and are hoping to add something to it one of these days. So many ideas and too little time!

To sum things up, I have found the Civil War Pockets to be well laid and easy to use. When supplemented with other materials, and put into context, the "pockets" can offer a well rounded HISOTRY lesson for up to grade 6 or 7(Evan Moore also published Literature Pockets).

5.0 out of 5 stars Help little ones learn history, May 28, 2010
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
I really like this book. Has good information and activities that help children learn and remember history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally worth the purchase!, November 14, 2013
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
I've used this book for a couple of years now with my fifth grade students. I absolutely love it. There's hardly any preparation needed--just lots of construction paper. My students get excited about each activity we use from it. While we also spend time in the textbook, the history pocket activities better serve to engage students, emphasize key factors in the Civil War, and help students retain the information. It's also easy to complete an activity in 20-25 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars History Pockets - American Civil War, July 8, 2009
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
I have just received this. I can't wait to use it. It has wonderful activities to give students a good overview of the Civil War. Many books of this type repeat the same activity for different topics. This book does not. Each pocket has unique activities to keep the students' interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars love pockets!!, June 12, 2014
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
Pockets are a great way to engage your students. They are creating and having fun learning at the same time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes History fun!, May 2, 2014
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
I chose these for my kids because I thought they would make learning about history fun. We used them as soon as we got them.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, March 6, 2014
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
Awesome, kids and I are doing the civil war for history for homeschooling and I hate crafts so this book has been a lifesaver I don't always follow the directions, in fact we use store bought folders instead of making them but The kids love history and actually look forward to it now! Just by doing the coloring and discussing it they learn so much - I have 3 kids so I just make copies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice, February 6, 2014
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
The history pockets civil war has been great and informational without being dry and boring and my kids like the activities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 11, 2013
This review is from: History Pockets: The American Civil War (Paperback)
The History Pocket series books provide a lot of relative information and provide many very relative activities for the students.

History Pockets: The American Civil War
History Pockets: The American Civil War by Evan-Moor Educational Publishers (Paperback - December 1, 2007)
Used & New from: $17.10