4.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Text Book
Published on November 14, 2012 by R&B

2.0 out of 5 stars A History of Russia
This wasn't book I was looking for so therefore I sent it back; one of the difficult things to do in choosing a book without actually physically reviewing the copy.
Published 9 months ago by John Apostal

4.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Text Book, November 14, 2012
This review is from: A History of Russia, the Soviet Union, and Beyond (Hardcover)
I purchased this book to learn the complete history of Russia - or at least have access to any period in it's history up to the present. Well, this book certainly is giving me that! The beginning is traced very far back in time when tribes roaming over the vast area from present day Europe to China roamed in and out of the present day Russia fought, intermarried to some extent, spoke different dialects, and took on still different identities. This early history introduces many names of peoples, languages, individuals, and places - truly more than I could connect with any continuity. So although the text does not read like a novel, the combination of its organization, chapter and section heading, along with the very complete index make it very useful to me. The book is arranged chronologically only to some degree, but chapters (all about equal length) emphasize different aspects of the society - government, politics, peoples, economics, leaders, foreign relations and wars, comparison of agriculture verses industry, etc. This makes the book the powerful resource I wanted - one I could put aside then come back to when I wanted particulars - usually about a leader, or period. I've yet to read through to the present, Putin's leadership, but have read over enough periods in Russia's history so far to understand where names like Marx, Lenin, Trotskii, and Stalin fit. I'm beginning to understand why the culture of Russia is very different from the US perhaps mostly because of it's vast area, climate differences, subcultures, classes, poverty, and some very cruel difficult periods. No small revelation is the importance that revolution has played - even to the degree that it has been considered inevitable and necessary by many of Russia's leaders. The evolution of the form of government into present day communism is just beginning to become clear as I continue the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Textbook for Russian History class, May 15, 2014
A good textbook for my college class, though it could go with a new edition, because a lot has happened in Russia in the past 12 years. To make up for that gap, our professor showed quite a few videos, especially those concerning the ongoing Russia/Ukraine conflict. I certainly learned a lot more about Russian history because of this book and the class. Recommended if you want an in-depth, hard core study of the world's largest country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like new, February 20, 2013
Heavy hardback, great condition. Worked well in my Russian History class and covers the history of Russia from early Rus times all the way up to the end of the cold war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very resourceful and interesting, May 27, 2012
I originally ordered this book for my Russian History Class. This booked proved to be a very reliable source for Russian History. I would recommend it to everyone. The chapters are clearly divided well, so it is easy to fine specific information on different years in Russian history or even important events.

2.0 out of 5 stars A History of Russia, April 29, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A History of Russia, the Soviet Union, and Beyond, October 3, 2005
Robert P. Watrol (Rossford, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This is a required textbook for a Russian History class I am taking and so far the book is a better read than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great!!!!!, October 3, 2010
They send it right away, and the book was in great condition. I recommend it ^_^

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST SHIPPING!, September 21, 2009
The book was exactly as described/listed. The seller shipped the book right away, I got it not too long after buying it. Pleasure doing business with seller.

A History of Russia, the Soviet Union, and Beyond
A History of Russia, the Soviet Union, and Beyond by David MacKenzie (Hardcover - September 11, 2001)
$274.95 $220.97