• Presents a comprehensive evaluation of the history and culture of Thailand from prehistoric to contemporary times
• Written by an internationally renowned historian
• Chronology of Thailand's history ranging from early times to the modern period
• Includes two high quality maps of Thailand
• A select bibliography provides suggestions for further reading
• A glossary clarifies unfamiliar Thai terms
The people of Thailand call their country "Ratchaanachak Thai"—Kingdom of Thailand. During two periods of history, Thailand was called "Siam"—in 1855–1939 and 1946–1949. By any name, this nation has a truly unique culture due largely to its status as the sole Southeast Asian nation that successfully resisted western colonization.