5.0 out of 5 stars Another Little Pirate Work
Benerson Little has become a recognized expert on piracy and its history.
His latest work is different from his privious 3 books in format and focus.
Each chapter covers a specific pirate and discusses the individuals strategy and tactics.

Published on January 10, 2011 by J. Crivelli

Published 4 months ago by C. Sprankle

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Little Pirate Work, January 10, 2011
Benerson Little has become a recognized expert on piracy and its history.
His latest work is different from his privious 3 books in format and focus.

While readable to the casual reader, this work is useful to the specialist since it fits well with Little's other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Got to Have' book, April 15, 2014
This review is from: How History's Greatest Pirates Pillaged, Plundered, and Got Away With It: The Stories, Techniques, and Tactics of the Most Feared Sea Rovers from 1500-1800 (Paperback)
A very well thought out, illustrated and written book, which I can very much recommend having in any piratical collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Jean Lafitte--but you might find the tales of lesser known pirates like Kanhoji Angria or Cheng I Sao to be more ..., July 7, 2014
C. Sprankle "guitar_mom" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This is a collection of biographies of the world's most famous pirates. All the ones you know are here--Blackbeard, Henry Morgan, Jean Lafitte--but you might find the tales of lesser known pirates like Kanhoji Angria or Cheng I Sao to be more entertaining. While I found the book generally easy to read, I had a couple of problems with it. First, it focuses mainly on the weapons and tactics used by the pirates, especially in the tales of the English and Spanish pirates of the colonial-era Caribbean. Someone with little knowledge of the social and political context in which these events took place is going to feel a little lost. Secondly, while Little graciously praises his editor in the acknowledgements, he could have used a better one. He's inconsistent about defining some terms that might be unfamiliar to the average reader and not defining others. He tends to go off on tangents. Annoyingly, he starts each chapter with a dramatic story from the life of the pirate in question, breaks off just before the climax to give us the back story (which sometimes goes back 20 years or more), then takes up the tale in the appropriate point in the chronology--assuming, of course, that we all remember what was happening when we diverted. All of the illustrations from the book are gorgeous reproductions of pictures from historical texts, but some of the maps are incomprehensible; I would have really appreciated Little giving us one modern map in each chapter. If you are fascinated by pirates and have a good general knowledge of history, I'd recommend this book; otherwise, there may be better options.

5.0 out of 5 stars A readable book about the history of piracy learned many ..., July 17, 2014
A readable book about the history of piracy learned many facts that I was not aware of about earlier pirates

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 19, 2014
great book - great seller

2.0 out of 5 stars Just kinda boring, December 29, 2013
For the hype, the book appears to be uninspired. It was difficult to read because it failed to keep my interest. I'm sure it's full of great information but as someone who used to be a pirate nerd I just couldn't care less about the content.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Poorly Written!, July 26, 2013
I bought this book hoping that it would have more information on actual pirate history than some of the other books out there. I wasn't disappointed on this point. This book had many historical theories on probable pirate tactics that made me a bit over stimulated. However, that is the only good point this book has going for it. As I read the introduction I was captivated, excited, on the edge of my seat! Then I got to the first chapter.... As I read on, I found many typos that confused me, such as to what location the writer was trying to convey. For example, I've never heard of "Wrest" being on the map. (Is Benerson Little Chineese?) Also,in the "Barbarossa" chapter, Little his real name "Aruj." Then, a paragraph later misspells it as "Arji" then goes back to calling him Aruj a few sentences later. Another mishap, in the final paragraph, he talks about how Barbarrossa's younger brother takes up the mantle, which, I believe at this point Little confuses himself due to the point that instead of completing the chapter out by talking about "Hizir" he switches back to Aruj. Since I spent the 20 dollars on this book, I figured that I might as well read on. Bad idea again, the second chapter was just as bad. This time, Little goes off on tangents (like a bad case of ADD) that has litte to nothing to do with the point he is supposed to be writing about. If I wrote a pamplet on candy and titled a paragraph "How it's Made" I would not devote that paragraph on how to eat it instead. Finally, the grammar of the book is substandard. It's almost as if a 5th grader doing a research paper wrote this book. I found myself having to re-read sentences to make sense of what the actual thought was trying to be conveyed. Whoever published this book, should be ashamed of himself. Little had good idea for this book, great in fact, but the editing was just too poor for this to be a must have. Do not pay money for this book! Borrow it from someone or check it out from a library, but for the love of God! DO NOT PAY MONEY!