5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Light For The Price
Published on December 7, 2012 by J. Alden

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Bulb, but not a Winner
I've been testing a variety of LED light bulbs recently and the low price of this bulb and its cousin the 990 lumen, 12 watt model compared to other LED bulbs I've purchased proved to be a deal I couldn't pass up.

Published 24 months ago by Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Light For The Price, December 7, 2012
I'm a big fan of LED lights, but in all my research, I've learned a few things about LEDs. First is, that it's hard to get the color temperature you want just by reading labels. As you may know, the lower the number, the warmer the bulb. A true 2700 temperature is close to your typical incandescent bulb. 3000 is a typical halogen and cool white is about 4000. Lastly, daylight is about 5000. Now with all that being said, what is the best light? Typically in a home, people prefer warm light. We're used to incandescent bulbs and we always try to get that same tone when buying alternate CFL or LED bulbs. The strange thing is, it seems different manufactures claim different things. I suppose if someone claims 2700, it might be true that light in the 2700 spectrum is being disbursed somewhere in there, even if the overwhelming light produced is actually more like 3000 or 3200.

Now I don't know what standards are out there, but I'm sure disappointed that there is not some kind of consortium to rate true claims of temperature. Why am I dedicating so much to light temperature? Because LED's are still somewhat new to this type of lighting. They still don't make the volume it takes to be competitive with CFL's. We're buying online where we can't see examples of light. Even when going to Home Depot or Lowes, we don't always have the bulbs we want to see on display in a working lamp. I've seen many reviews on many different LED bulbs and one of the biggest complains is light color (temperature). The next complaint, or maybe even the top complaint, is the light power, or Lumens.

LED technology has really exploded in the past decade. If you see the running lights on some of the newer cars like Mercedes, those LED's down there are REALLY bright. Now it's a balancing act for the manufactures to create efficient LED lights for the home that are of the right color temperature and right lumen power. In my opinion, Philips are making the best LED lights for the home period. You know, those yellow looking bulbs? Yeah, those are amazing and my home and my rentals are full of those. The reason I don't simply buy everything Philips is because they cost a lot and I don't always want to use $29 bulbs everywhere. My kitchen for example.

Before I go on to reviewing the HitLights, I want to explain one last thing to people that are still learning about the technology. LED's run on DC power and our household uses AC. There must be conversion in the fixture. LED performance largely depends on correctly engineering the fixture to manage the heat generated by the LED, which causes deterioration of the LED chip itself. Over-driving the LED or not engineering the product to manage heat in high ambient temperatures can result in overheating of the LED package, eventually leading to device failure. Adequate heat-sinking is required to maintain long life. This is why you'll see very cheap LED's get bad reviews because they are failing. The LED itself is usually the most reliable part, but a bad circuit or small head-sink can simply ruin it all.

So now that I've gone in the very basics of LED's, I hope to give a fair review of the HitLights bulbs. I, like most of you, go by reviews. We can't see products in person usually, if on Amazon, but we help each other with reviews. So here I am. Initially, I had never heard of this brand. Typically, I don't trust unknown brands, but I like to give "new guys" a chance. Even if these guys are not so new. I actually don't know how long they've been around, but they are new to me.

I've purchased at least 6 brands of LED lights in the past years, and as I've mentioned already, the Philips to me, are the best. But they are not necessarily the best bargain. My kitchen has 8 recessed 4" cans and I wanted something that would replace the small (no longer made) Ikea CFL bulbs I had in there as they kept failing and are no longer made. When I installed the cans I put more in that usually needed, but I wanted a nice spread of light, so 8 cans it was, and I planned on using lights that were equivalent to about 40 watts. In all my review reading, I kept coming back to these. I actually waited a week or two before pulling the trigger. Now, the only thing I can't review is how well they're built. I can't tell if they will start failing in a year or two, so I'll go by what I have now and update this if I ever need to.

I was happy when I opened the box because they are physically a little smaller than most I have purchased, and that suited me just perfectly. They sit in the recessed cans perfectly and emit a color temperature very close to a halogen. Closer to 3000 than the 2700 they claim, but in a kitchen, I have no problem with the light being a little whiter than 2700. For many, this might not be warm enough, but as I said, for me, in this application, they are perfect. Also, they are a little brighter than I expected. In a strange way, you can't have too much light in a kitchen, if like me, you cook a lot. The biggest plus is the price. At today's price of $10.88, you really can't beat them. Especially if they come anywhere near the claimed 50,000 hours of use that LED's are fully capable of. Lastly, you should know that these are not dimming bulbs. These are simple on or off. Again, for me, that is perfectly fine.

I expect the price of LED bulbs to drop, like all evolving technologies, but consider these bulbs a good investment. Your power bill will start to drop, and you might not be replacing bulbs for another 10 years. Hopefully.

Last little tip to consider if you're a first time LED buyer. LED's emit light in one direction, so most of these type bulbs throw light outward only, and the half globe helps disperse it to the sides as well, but nothing will be thrown back like a traditional bulb. The Philips that I keep mentioning throw light in all directions because of the design of the bulb. I suggest, for important locations where this is crucial, to look at the Philips. I use them in table lamps. I would never use these HitLights in lamps with shades unless you are okay with lighting up only the top of your lamp shade.

****UPDATE****

1/27/14 Over a year gone by, bulbs are still working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value LED bulb that uses low power and has a remarkable lifetime specification!, February 5, 2013
Length:: 5:56 Mins

This 380 lumen bulb actually performed well and it is rated at 40 watts equivalent comparison to an incandescent bulb. To our uncalibrated human eye it was only slightly dimmer than a 15 watt CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) that was rated to be the equivalent of 60 watts. In my tests of 6 bulbs this was the dimmest but I expected it to be because of its lower rating. It did deliver a good performance and it used 1/10 of the power of a 40 watt incandescent bulb at only 4 watts of power usage. (Actually measured with a wattmeter)

The color was close to an incandescent bulb but no matter what the specifications say about light frequency they are always slightly off in color. This bulb is a good buy for the price and you will save money on your electric bill by using it. In addition 40 watt incandescent bulbs are rated at an average of 1,000 hours of operation while these LED bulbs are rated at 40,000 hours of operation. That is 40 times the life of a major brand of 40 watt bulbs that cost about $1.60 each. Compare the cost of 40 of those bulbs to this one LED bulb and add that to your savings. (Compared to GE soft white 40 watt bulbs sold on Amazon)

The one thing that is yet unproven is the actual life of this LED bulb in long term testing. Being used 8 hours a day for example this bulb will last over 14 years based on its specifications. This is a good product and I rate it at 5 stars.

I was provided a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, August 18, 2012
Mike S (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I decided to order LEDs for the first time having done some research online, and this was one of the bulbs I purchased. For comparison's sake, I ordered A19 bulbs from 3 different manufacturers:

LED Dimmable Light Bulb, 830 Lumen Omni-Directional, A19, Warm White, Lifetime Guarantee by G7 Power
+ The color of the light was ok, not perfect. It's warm but definitely on the whiter side (3000K).
- Emitted a buzzing noise wherever I installed it.
- I think it may have blown out the socket on one of my lamps. Good thing I didn't like that lamp.
- The bulb was heavyweight and large. It actually dragged down an arm of a multi-arm lamp I own.
- This and the LED Dimmable Light Bulb, 900 Lumen, BR30 or PAR30 Replacement, Warm White, Lifetime Guarantee by G7 Power have a 3-second cooldown after you turn off the light. Seems to be a theme with this company's products.
Overall:
Disappointed in this product. I wanted to like this company since it felt like a local, grassroots company trying to get a footing in the market, but unfortunately their products seem inferior to Philips.

Philips 417048 Dimmable AmbientLED 8-Watt A19 Light Bulb
+ The color of the light was a perfect warm white that matched my existing incandescents and CFLs perfectly (2700K).
+ The bulb itself was lightweight and compact in size.
+ It turned on and off instantly with no warm up or cool down.
+ The bulb has a matte finish where the light emits, so when you handle the bulb, it doesn't feel like you're getting fingerprints all over it.
- I think it looks ugly, but if you can put it where you can't see the bulb, it doesn't matter.
Overall:
Extremely pleased with this product. Will be buying many more Philips lights!

HitLights AffordIX 9W Cool White LED Bulbs, 700 Lumen, Replacement for 60 Watt, UL Listed
+ The color of the light was super white. I ended up not liking it anywhere inside the house, but it's perfect in the garage! It makes my garage feel like an office parking garage, which I think is cool (6500K).
+ The bulb is SUPER compact and lightweight. Fits great in my garage door opener!
+ Instant on and off - no warm up or cool down.
+ The bulb is the closest in style to a traditional incandescent, so I'd say it looks the most pleasing in physical appearance.
Overall:
Pleased with the light as a garage light. Could also be a decent bathroom light! Will be buying more of these to fill out my garage lighting. Definitely wouldn't recommend for general usage. It's super-white.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work fine, June 1, 2012
I installed four of these in two hanging lamps, each with two bulbs. The lamps are enclosed so ordinary bulbs overheated and did not last long.
After installing the LED bulbs in one lamp I compared the brightness with the other, which still had two 40 Watt incandescent bulbs. The light pattern was different because these LED bulbs are somewhat directional (with the base up, most of the light goes down), but the illumination was perhaps somewhat better.
These lights don't claim to work with a dimmer and they don't. Fortunately my wall mounted dimmer also has a switch, and I never used the dimmer anyway.
Now with only 12 Watts of power dissipated in each lamp, they don't overheat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bulb for small rooms, August 14, 2012
I bought 3 led light bulbs to compare recently, the Hitlights Afford XII (box claims 990 lumens, 12 watts), Afford IX (box claims 770 lumens, 9 watts), and the Ecosmart 60 Watt replacement (sold by Home Depot, box claims 850 lumens, 13 watts). Of the three, the Afford IX is my favorite, with the Afford XII a close second. My wife agrees with me. The Ecosmart was the most expensive, at about $24, while the Afford's sold by Amazon are several dollars cheaper.

Both Hitlights bulbs have a much more bluish light than the Ecosmart, which is close to candlelight color. I've read some people complain about the bluish color, but both me and my wife think it looks much better than the Ecosmart. The Afford boxes claim a color temperature of 6000K, which is right in the middle of what many people call daylight, which is generally 5500-6500K. It does make colors look more daylight-ish, which we prefer. I also noticed the Afford lights are quite a bit lighter (weight, not a pun) than the ecosmart.

Light output wise, the Afford IX seems, to our eyes, to put out about as much light as the ecosmart, even though the ecosmart claims to have a higher lumen output. The Afford XII is very bright, almost blindingly so. If you are putting these in a small room, I would recommend the Afford IX over the Afford XII. The Afford XII is for large rooms.

I uploaded a picture comparing the light output of both bulbs. The picture was taken with a very small aperature and fast shutter speed so it is intentionally dark. Use this picture only to judge the color output and RELATIVE brightness. Both bulbs lit up the room I took the picture in quite nicely.

If the Hitlights have one flaw, it is they are slightly spot-lighty. Emphasis on the word slightly. They will light up a small room with ease. The XII bulb also flickers for just a moment when I turn it on. But the flicker is so brief, my wife missed it until I pointed it out to her. You have to be looking for it to spot it.

Overall, I much prefer the Hitlights bulbs over the Ecosmart. They are cheaper, put out more light, use less electricity, and have better color. They also weigh less, although that is a minor thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Bulb, but not a Winner, December 27, 2012
Tim (Southern Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Upon opening the Amazon box and examining the light bulb packaging itself, I found two misspellings. This always worries me when I see something so obvious, mostly because if I caught the error, I would think the manufacturer would have as well.

The bulb itself looks like the one pictured on the page here. It's roughly the size and shape of a standard incandescent bulb and should have no problem fitting anywhere a traditional bulb would go.

Upon installing the bulb in a small table lamp with a shade and turning it on, I found the bulb produced much less light than I expected, but did have the correct wavelength or "temperature" of light indicated in the product description. Part of apparent lack of lumens might be due to the bulb being somewhat directional. It throws way more light through the end of the bulb and onto a small area of the ceiling than a traditional incandescent light bulb. Concentrating more light in one area means less light gets spread around to the rest of the room.

In fairness to the manufacturer, it does state on the box that these bulbs are to be used in "TOTALLY ENCLOSED RECESSED FIXTURES," though the product description on the Amazon product page incorrectly indicates these are suited for "desk lamps." Anybody ever see a "TOTALLY ENCLOSED RECESSED" desk lamp? Me neither. I knew from experience and the image on the product page that this bulb would be poorly matched in a standard lamp, but figured at the selling price, I'd find some place I could use it. In the end, my father liked the white light this bulb produces and gave it a home in his dresser lamp.

The positives of these bulbs:
- comparatively inexpensive to other LEDs
- seem to not produce as much heat as other bulbs I own
- they are much lighter (in weight) than my favorite LED bulbs

The negatives of these bulbs:
- somewhat directional light
- apparently dimmer light than the 40 watt incandescent or a competing 440 lumen LED I tried in the same fixture
- embarrassingly bad packaging
- product application not fitting the description on the product page

These bulbs are simply "okay" in my opinion. After trying some other much better LEDs, I know a five star bulb when I see it, and these unfortunately just don't measure up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value LED bulb that uses low power and has a remarkable lifetime specification!, February 6, 2013
Length:: 6:12 Mins

I did some evaluations of this LED bulb and compared it to several other wattage bulbs and different technologies of bulbs. I have put those results into a video for your review. One thing that you have to consider as you watch the review is that the camera is not as versatile as the human eye when seeing different frequencies and colors of light bulbs. Based on that statement I ask you to trust my wife's and my opinion of the quality and brightness of the light bulbs. This is particularly important as this bulb's light is rated at 6000 kelvin which is very cold white light that the camera liked but our human eyes could not see the same brightness.

This 770 lumen bulb is rated at 60 watts equivalent comparison to an incandescent bulb. To our uncalibrated human eye it was dimmer than a 60 watt incandescent soft white. In my tests of 6 bulbs this was the whitest light color and was not a warm light at all. It did deliver a reasonable performance and it used about 1/9 of the power of a 60 watt incandescent bulb at only 6.9 watts of power usage. (Actually measured with a wattmeter)

The color was a very cold white that the camera liked and thought was much brighter than our human eyes perceived the actual light to be. This bulb is a good buy for certain applications like a downward shooting light in the ceiling like in the garage or in a can light. You will save money on your electric bill by using it as the power consumption was much lower than a 60 watt incandescent bulb. In addition 60 watt incandescent bulbs are rated at an average of 2,000 hours of operation while these LED bulbs are rated at 40,000 hours of operation. That is 20 times the life of a major brand of 60 watt bulbs. Compare the cost of 20 of those bulbs to this one LED bulb and add that to your savings.

The one thing that is yet unproven is the actual life of this LED bulb in long term testing. Being used 8 hours a day for example this bulb will last over 14 years based on its specifications. This is a good product and I rate it at 4 stars. Having tested lights rated at 2700 Kelvin and 6000 Kelvin we preferred the 2700 Kelvin light color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Products personally!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: HitLights 10 Watt UL-Listed A19 Warm White LED Bulb - 20 Year Lifespan, Replaces 75 Watt - 3000K, 900 Lumens, 110 Volts, E26 (Electronics)
This 12w bulb has a very nice, warm look to it. The note says 750Lumens. and that the description says that it will replace a 100W. Personally, the 100w warm white is equal to 900-1000Lumens neither 750 nor 1750 as last reviews.The difference is the traditional light give 360 degree. and the LED give 120-140degree. So from the downside point, this 12W LED light will give you the feeling of 100w. This would be good for ceiling locations where you don't want much light going up. Anyway, I'm looking forward to not changing the bulb for around 10 years.

Let's see.

5.0 out of 5 stars LED Light Bulb 6W 120VAC, May 31, 2012
This is an energy efficient low wattage light bulb. This product was low cost with a brightness and warm color that are a perfect match for a 40W bulb with only 6 W consumed (80% PF, 8 VA measured with a power meter). The bulb flickers slightly for about 1/2 second on startup then comes up at full brightness. In most reflectorized fixtures you would not notice the directionality as incandescent bulbs are also directional in those types of fixtures. This is not a good choice for a table lamp unless you want indirect light. It arrived in good condition and performed exactly as expected and promised.

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, October 3, 2012
Well, may be I was too optimistic towards this LED light bulb. I bought four bulbs and they look fine; but the fact is that just four days after receiving, one of them got out. It is supposed to work 50 000 hours!