5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing collaborative work, September 20, 2011
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
I opted to pre-order the set - which included the limited edition record you see next to the book - sometime in the summer. I all but nearly forgot about it until it arrived at my doorstep this morning - hand delivered by the wonderful postal worker himself - Note to self: Bake this man some cookies.

I couldn't wait to rip the package open and devour it entirely. Of course, I was just starting my day of jobless anticipation - I've been answering every phone call in hopes it's an opportunity, but only get bill collectors (which I have half the mind to ask if their hiring). I put it on hold. Snapped the above photo and started off with the DVD which features short films, tiny stories, music videos - my favorite was "They Can't Turn the Lights Off" - and live records. I followed this by reading the book in one sitting - it wasn't that hard, but to digest the magnificent beauty of the images presented upon the pages, mixed in with the words was an overwhelming sensation that I do not think I can fully describe. My personal favorites, oddly, are the first and last features in the book.

The book itself, actually, reminds of me the children's stories I used to read when I was a kid. The way they were written. It's as if the book is for adults who never stopped being children, as well as, those who forgot how to play.

Sadly, however, I cannot review - if that's what I'm doing, anyway - the CD that includes 17 original songs because I haven't gotten that far. But the book is amazing. It's more than amazing. It's probably the best collaborative work I've seen in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing effort by Joe and his team., October 10, 2011
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
I'm kind of surprised to see this recollection has received so few reviews thus far, because it is simply amazing! The DVD, it is both honest, personal and artistic, and very well-made. The book, though not very abundant in content, is visually satisfying. I especially love the Prologue...it seems to have been written by a cynical self, yet never ceases to find a real home, however painstakingly it takes.

The CD is what I love most about this recollection. Besides from Nothing Big, Sick Again and Words We're Wailing that feature Joseph Gordon-Levitt as vocalist, which are great (this may sound biased since I would hail anything his), all other songs are nicely produced. This may not be a CD for everyone, but if you know Joe enough to understand his type, you'll fall for it right at the first listen.

Overall, a very neat collection. And while waiting for Premium Rush, which will not come out until Jan next year, I have this to quench my thirst for JGL. Already anxious for his next product!

5.0 out of 5 stars SuperFANtastic, October 26, 2011
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
OH YEAH!!! When I first heard about this project, I got excited. JGL, his collaborators and crew hit a home run big time.

First of all, there is superior content and quality productions. The collective talents of these individuals results in very unique and quality work.

I am overjoyed that I got this CD/DVD/Book collection and am happy to contribute to such a great program that JGL has established through his website. I can only imagine where he is going to take it from here.

The best part is that there is nothing mainstream here, but it is all mainstream worthy, especially some of the short movies and especially the music.

I can't express how impressed I am of this compilation.

Excellent Job Joe!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational Art, October 10, 2011
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
This is a high-quality product with a lot of great content. The key piece is the book itself, which features a lot of interesting poetry and short stories, some of them so short that they are called "Tiny Stories". The best part is that everything within the book - the words, the illustrations, the photographs, everything - were contributed by creative people all over the world. The collective talents of these individuals results in very unique and quality work.

Also included is a DVD with 36 original short films and videos (most are between 1-5 minutes long). There are several short films that are really great - one of them screened at the Sundance Film Festival. Also included are 4 music videos, 9 Tiny Stories, and various other documentary-style videos, including an appearance by Robert Redford.

And don't forget about the CD with all of the best musical collaborations, presented in the form of a radio broadcast. There are 17 original songs included, with a run time of 57 minutes. I was very impressed by the music, all different styles and genres are represented.

I have been a frequent visitor to the hitRECord website, and I have enjoyed what I have seen there. I was happy to buy this book and support this wonderful production company, which encourages collaboration from people all over the world and gives those who are talented a chance to show off their skills. This set is the best of both worlds: independent-style creativity packaged in a professional-quality book. I can't wait for Recollection Volume 2!

And to those who love the "Tiny Stories" as much as I do, you may also be interested in this product: The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed, November 22, 2011
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
The HitRECord RECollection Volume One is a definite must have for all those who love art. It's a great book, cd, and dvd. The art and design of the entire package have been beautifully rendered.

5.0 out of 5 stars HitREcord, January 2, 2012
This review is from: HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 (DVD)
this is a wonderful project,please go to HitREcord's website and check them out.the collection is varied and is good for a few hours diversion.can't wait for volume 2.thanks amazon for making it so easy to order.HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1

HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1
HitRECord Recollection Vol. 1 by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (DVD - 2011)
Used & New from: $13.94