4.0 out of 5 stars The Mother of all Saws
Published on October 31, 2005 by Mark N. Beaulieu

3.0 out of 5 stars problems here
Things I like- very heavy for stationary use only. 12" blade allows using only one setting for crown molding cuts.Wonderfull!!! Don't waste your money on a 10" unless you must have a portable unit. Excellent machining and repeatabilty. Super smooth and well balanced. Handle located in vertical position.Super easy to set up angles.Superb feel.

The following is...
Published on December 1, 2005 by Dusty

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mother of all Saws, October 31, 2005
This review is from: Hitachi C12LSH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter saw with Laser Guide and Digital Bevel Display (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a physically large and heavy saw. I bought it and the Hitachi miter stand to take to jobs sits to do cabnet grade trim work and I'm afraid I over bought. (I'm gonna end up with a hernia or a broken back). The lazer, while accurate, needs to be adjusted with every change of saw position. Plus, my lazer runs out of adjustment to the left side of the blade but has plenty to the right (there may be another adjustment but nothing in the manual). My biggest disapointment is the digital display. It only reads to .5 degree, but you can move the table between the marks and the saw stays at .5 (I can eye ball a half degree as this saw has a excellent miter scale (And a fair bevel scale). I think this feature (and the reason I bought the saw) to be over rated. I've also noticed a somewhat gritty slide action (may need a cleaning)..That being said I have found this saw to be accurate and powerfull. The soft start is a nice feature, but it takes some getting used to as you have to wait for the saw to get up to speed before contacting to wood.

3.0 out of 5 stars problems here, December 1, 2005

The following is just my opinion. You may not agree with me.

Things I didn't like. The saw arrived with a broken laser. The factory gave me the option of taking it to a service center 2 hours away with a 6 week wait or they would send me the part if I would give my warranty.I'm in a hurry so I gave up the warranty. GRRR. This ain't WalMart fellows. Grrr again. Got the laser. It's a worthless one beam unit.You need two beams to locate the blade position guys. Duh. More hype. The digital readout is only .5 degrees. If you can't eyeball .5 degrees your not much of a wood worker.

The design and color scheme looks like a Ninja Turtle on drugs. Ugly, really ugly. Check the mental health of your designer Hitachi. He may have a problem. Now the real biggie- All SCMS have a serious problem with dust control. This saw is the worst I have ever used. The rear post is 5" wide with a sweeping U turn that shoots you directly between the eyes with high velocity sawdust. It even stings. I had to stop and clean my glasses off after 2-3 cuts.I came up with a very radical fix that solved the problem. You may have to live with it.Finally I have read posts that complained of a galling problem between aluminum sliding pieces. Scary since I lost my warranty. End of story. Would I buy again? I found nothing better available so I live with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Saver?, October 24, 2005
One of the big selling points for me on this one was the idea of saving space with the new slider design. Don't be fooled; it turns out the back of the saw is so big that it takes up about the same room as the old style sliders. You will need at least 19" from the back of the fence to the wall! On the other hand, I think the angle D.R.O. and laser features are great to have. Once you start to use the digital angle read out, you will never want to go back. Hitachi has a reputation for making well built and long lasting saws. (I hope this radical new design lives up to their name.) Also... Did I mention how ugly Hitachi's new tool designs are. God I hope they fire their new industrial designer so he/she can go back to work in the tennis shoe business.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used, abused and used them all again, October 28, 2005
There is nothing I can not do with this saw. From the time I took it out of the box I was impressed. It does save space over the old bulky Dewalt I had and the cut is as clean as silk. I can not get over the capacity, digital readout ease of user and the accuracy of the laser. We purcahse this and the Makita at the same time. The Makita saw does not come close in terms of accuracy. The radical look of this saw sets it apart in the shop. I would not normally go for this look but I can not get over how good it looks and perfroms in my shop. I have 10 guys per working in the shop using the saw from 7am - 7PM. You could not purchase a better unit. I got the mail in rebate on the finish nailer as well and this was $189 value. I WISH AMAZON would have played this up a little better on thier site. I almost missed it. The value of the saw with the mail in rebate was icing on the cake.

The best slide I have every used!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good operation, gadgets notwithstanding, April 9, 2006
Jared Emery (Port Angeles, WA) - See all my reviews
The saw's operation is exactly what you'd expect for something in this price range. I was comparing the Hitachi with the ever-popular DeWalt DW708. Since they were sitting side by side in the store, I figured I'd be able to easily make a decision. Wrong!

Pros:

Clean cuts. Smooth rail action. Good fine tuning of the miter & bevel adjustment. Relatively thin laser line. Easy laser adjustment. Good positive stops on standard angle settings.

Cons:

1) The space-saving statement by Hitachi is misleading. Even though the rails don't protrude out the back, the rest of the machine behind the blade is so bulky that it ends up being a wash. 2) No soft startup like Hitachi's smaller saws. Like the DeWalt, the Hitachi jumps when you pull the trigger. I don't know why they don't make this a standard feature on the larger saws. 3) The angle & bevel gauge, while not completely a gimmick, would have benefited from an extra decimal place. There's a lot of distance between, say, 10 and 10.5 degrees.

Conclusion:

It's a chopsaw, and does a chopsaw's job well. Given that lasers are sprouting on more and more saws these days, the digital gauge is the only significant feature that differentiates this saw from the rest. The gauge's lack of super-fine accuracy doesn't make it a must-have feature. But considering the saw is at the same price point with other saws without the bells & whistles, it doesn't hurt to have them. That's why I bought it. And as far as the others' complaints about the saw's design, just look at the other tool manufacturers. Hitachi's not alone; everyone's trying to make their tools more trendy. Personally, I couldn't care less if it looks like a steroid-induced ninja turtle, as long as it does its job.

4.0 out of 5 stars nothings perfect, November 4, 2006
I have owned and operated this saw for well over 18 months. The upside; we were doing 9-1/2 " crown mouldings, in a large upscale house in Mt.Snow, Vermont. It performed well, with only minor challanges. Many of my crew used the saw daily, and as long as they all remembered the cardinal rule of not overtightening adjustments and keeping the saw slide clean and lubed, all miters were accurate and cuts were true and good.

The down side is the weight, which I expected and deal with on a regular basis. No big deal. A lot of the weight is the stand it sits on. I also would like the digital read to be more accurate, giving real degrees in a more tightley callibrated fashion. And, for some reason, the pull stop which allows angles to the right broke off, a bad casting. Overall, it is a good saw, with more improvments needed. So, what doesn't?

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor cutting saw, March 21, 2007
I just finished setting up this saw in my cabinetshop tonight and got to cut with it for the first time. Yikes the cuts are bad! I removed the stock blade and put on my Forrest Chopmaster and the cuts were still bad. The left hand fence had a noticable warp along it's length, and the saw will not cut plumb. It is adjusted plumb, but wanders to the side during the cut. Also it seems to wander a good bit on slide cuts, I could not get a cut close to square when crosscutting a 12 inch wide piece of plywood. I thought this saw was a great deal for the $399.99 special, but now I know why it was on special. Sending it back and going back to my old, but dependable Makita 12" slider. This saw is a major disappointment, and I do not see how it would cut the mustard for any professional.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi was the best, but...., July 31, 2006
I own 4 hitachi slide mitre boxes 2 10's and 2 8 1/2's. I build furniture and install moulding. We bought this saw for use in our shop but promptly returned it. The laser is ok but not neeeded. The digital display only works to the nearest 1/2 degree and that does not help much for fine tuning cuts. The side to side slop in this saw is real bad, most slides have some but i could not get this saw to cut 1 single straight cut. It moves as far as 3/16 in either direction???? The blade wobbles and it is one heavy heavy saw. This is not acceptable for the percision work I do. The head dosent have enough spring to return to the up position itself. Hitachi spent too much time making this saw look pretty and forgot about accuracy. I will buy another hitachi 10in. I do not reccomend this saw to anyone unless you have a pretty shop where the tools dont get used. Hitachi could not give me this saw I would have to use it as a paper weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw, January 9, 2006
What a saw!...Got mine @ lowes @ a discount because the box was opened. I was very skeptical... having spent three times as much as I did for my old miter saw years ago, and no one knew why the box was opened. Any way, when I got it home I found that it had not even been out of the box, and not so much as a fingerprint on it...So I set it up on an existing stand that I used for the old saw, and reviewed the operators manual, checking that all was there that was supposed to be.... and what possible adjustments needed to be made. To my surprise, from the factory, all was as accurate, and right on the mark as would be expected from a miter saw demanding a premium price such as this one does. So I proceeded to spend a couple of hours making test cuts and wound up with a 16 sided 24" ring that was perfect. I bought the saw to complete the remodeling trim work in the house, and being a long time hobbyist (mostly furniture construction), I felt confident to take on a little more intricate design. (Wainscoting,etc;) And am very satisfied with the purchase...I do a lot of research to prevent against "Buyers Remorse" and not having the time or room constraints as some of the other reviewers, I can honestly say there is no remorse here, as with my other Hitachi equipment. I am currently waiting for the free rebate to arrive (Hitachi Nailer) which makes this a great deal even without my discount!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disapointment, October 4, 2006
I owned a Hitachi C8FB2 for 14 years until it was stolen from a jobsite. That saw retained its accuracy for the entire 14 years and it was used almost daily ! I thought of buying another C8FB2 but the 8-1/4" blade is limiting so I decided to go for Hitachi's "top of the line". What a piece of crap this thing is. The procedure for using a sliding miter saw is to cut a shallow kerf while pulling the saw towards you at the start of the cut and then plunge down and push forward to finish the cut. If you do that with this saw the 2 cuts will never line up because there is so much flex in the saw. No matter how hard you try to not flex the saw it will flex sidewards anywhere from an 1/8" to 3/16". The saw is worthless if you are looking for even minimal accuracy. Hey Amazon can I trade this thing in for something else, anything else ?