5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine
UPDATE: Good news, machine has so far worked flawless. The bad news, my son broke our sliding glass patio door using this due to a flying rock. The shield, in my opinion is too small. You have been warned.

**************************************************************************************

Very pleased with this purchase, great value, hard to...
Published on May 24, 2010 by PeterPumpkinEater

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Trimmer When It Works, 3rd Rate Customer Service
This is a powerful trimmer that starts easily every time. In over a year's use it's run flawlessly, including the trimmer head.

Published on July 26, 2011 by Tom D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, May 24, 2010
This review is from: Hitachi CG22EASSLP 21.1cc 2 Stroke Gas Powered Straight Shaft Grass Trimmer (CARB Compliant) (Lawn & Patio)

Very pleased with this purchase, great value, hard to believe this comes with a 7 year warranty!

First things first, it is light-weight compared to my old Poulan. It's not feather weight, but for the power, I don't think it gets much better. I ran the machine for 45 minutes straight. (I have almost two acres of mostly trees and a lot of fencing). My arms were tired, but the fact I could run the machine that long without my arms falling off is remarkable.

The engine and power transmission are very smooth with little vibration. You can set the unit down on the ground while running without it bouncing away. Throttle control is perfect and precise. You will be running this unit at half-throttle most of the time, unless you like stripping bark of your trees.

String feeder works fine, I had to bump it a few extra times, but I was using the line that came with the machine. Note to self, order a spool of string, they only load with a few feet. I have not had a chance to load string, so I can't tell you the process on that.

I took down a 20'x20' weed infested garden in about 15 minutes, mostly full throttle all the way. It has the power when you need it.

The only hiccups I could complain about is the on-off switch is in a bad location. I inadverntly turned the machine off three times. However, staring it up was a joy. One pull in choke position, and a second pull in open postion and your off and running. Plus, no smoke!

Also, the shield is not much of a shield, get on the wrong side of the trimmer and you will get sand blasted with grass and mud.

All and all, you can tell the quality of this is very high and with 7 years of future abuse ahead, I think it will be no problem at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars An efficient weed killer, June 1, 2010
I got this string trimmer to tackle a quarter-acre of weeds. I bought a house last Winter and the yard had not been cared for in over 2 years. The back is full of huge broad-leaf weeds with 2' roots and garlic-mustard plants. I bought the Hitachi based on its reputation for durability compared to the chain-store brands like Poulan, Weed Eater, Craftsman, and Troy-bilt.

I've only had it for a month now, but it works great. This trimmer has no problem at all running for 90 minutes at a time and getting coated in weed juice. I definitely recommend wearing eye protection as this trimmer is easily powerful enough to fling chunks of weeds into your face. The .095 line is very durable and doesn't break when it hits the occasional rock or tree.

The price may be high when you compare it to the cheaper entry-level models on Amazon, but with a 7-year warranty I think this trimmer will still be around when I finally whack my last 5-foot weed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Trimmer When It Works, 3rd Rate Customer Service, July 26, 2011
Tom D (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The problem is it leaks gas, in my case because of a rotten hose from the fuel tank to the carburetor (see posted picture). At first I noticed the tank was empty and there was a strong gasoline smell in the garage. No explanation so I only filled the tank about a third and it worked fine. Next time I filled it and it leaked again, then stalled out after starting like it was starved for fuel. On easy dis-assembly it was immediately clear one of the hoses from the fuel tank to the primer bulb was disconnected and on further inspection it was clear it was rotten.

I called customer service in Norcross, GA and spoke with a woman who first wanted to know why I thought they should cover this under warranty. I explained the product was a little over one year into a seven year warranty. I had to listen to her read something about proper fuel mixtures. Then she explained that since I didn't have an account with Hitachi, I'd have to take it to their service center, only a 33 mile drive. I asked if I could buy the part and after emailing a parts blowup and finding the part was $1.38, she explained I couldn't buy it from them anyway and besides it's out of stock for at least another month. The customer service representative explained how Hitachi is pinching every penny.

No big deal, I can buy a piece of fuel line from Amazon or a local auto parts store that carries fuel lines for small engines, but this is completely opposite my experience with a Troy-Bilt trimmer. The Troy-Bilt people were anxious to make me happy and shipped a whole gear box and trimmer head under warranty in a heartbeat without any receipts from me.

As great as this trimmer is, it's worthless if it doesn't run and with the OEM fuel line they pinched one too many pennies. One star for being unwilling to help me get this running again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even More Reasons to Buy this Trimmer, June 21, 2010
On the side of the box of the Hitachi I found the word "professional". "Yeah, right," I thought. However, I have been through trimmer purgatory. My first attempt was an electric Black and Decker 36V beast. It trimmed for about 15 minutes and then checked out. Determined to get more power and reliability, I bought a Craftsman 4-stroke. Plenty of power, but so heavy my arm started hurting after 10 minutes. The Poulan and Husqvarna 2-strokes also failed to impress. Husqvarna still makes good high-end equipment, but the lower end model is nothing more than a more expensive Poulan. Furthermore, I don't want my trimmer to be a blower, chainsaw, rototiller, or anything else. I want a good trimmer. Last, I tried a propane trimmer, and it was underpowered and kept dying on me.

This particular trimmer fit my budget at $[...]. I lucked out and bought it on sale, but it is worth the retail price (Hitachi is also giving a $[...] rebate right now, so my cost with tax was only $[...]. I love the one-piece shaft, as I have had other trimmers break at this point. It is incredibly lightweight, so I experienced no fatigue. It has power. Lots of power. My yard now has clean lines everywhere I look. I wish I had started with the Hitachi. I would have saved so much time and effort, but I can rest in knowing that the next 7 years (at least) will be trimming fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Stars, July 21, 2010
I use a string trimmer to clear the edges (around trees, fence, driveways, landscaping, etc.) before cutting the grass & was disappointed when my old trusty split-shaft Toro started to head south.

It was no fault of Toro trimmer, but more just the total hours of operation. Since purchasing our new home about 5 years ago, it'd been put to very heavy use trimming & tilling the yard into shape.

After looking at all of the pro line brands available at local dealers, I was leaning toward just getting another Toro. I'm so glad I stumbled on to this one at Amazon. The great reviews of the similar solid shaft Hitachi also hold true for this one.

I've used it twice & replacing the string is a breeze. The weight is balanced perfectly, very easy starting, & plenty of power. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design & the 7 year warranty for home use is just another big plus.

One thing nice thing I've noticed, compared to other models, is these ease of trimming near chain link fences. This one doesn't grab when getting close, like others & is probably due to a better clutch design.

I'm almost disappointed when I'm finished using it, because it's so comfortable to operate. I have no more of that annoying stiffness in the upper middle part of my back afterwards (thank you Hitachi).

*** After 3 years use the bump knob (called button in diagram) wore out. Best price & availability of parts is through searspartsdirect. Hitachi doesn't sell parts directly to the public & will refer you to one of their distributors. Trimmer still runs great, but I haven't tried any attachments. Purchased a tiller for a large landscaping project, so I never tried modifications to make my expandit attachment work with it.

The bump knob has been backordered for 6 weeks, so I picked up a Husqvarna 537388101 Universal T35 Tap Advance Straight Shaft String Trimmer Head Prewound With .095-Inch Line at hardware store, which had correct L/H threads & installed fine without need for any of its included adapters. When the Hitachi bump knob arrives, I'll have a spare head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, September 22, 2010
Theodore Kobernick (Vancouver, WA United States) - See all my reviews
We just received this a month ago, so I can't comment on its durability -- but the seven-year warranty suggests that it will be durable.
Thirty years ago I bought a Stihl brushcutter/trimmer, used it to clear the brush from my three overgrown acres, used it on neighbors' places, and fairly wore it out. Ever since then, with no brush to clear, I have bought light-duty string trimmers, and bought , and bought and bought! They all died in a year or two. But they were light and cheap. The latest one was dying, and I decided to get something more durable -- but not as costly as Stihl.
This Hitachi is about twice the price of the cheapies, but half the price of the Stihl. The customer reviews here at Amazon.com persuaded me to get this line trimmer.
It was well packaged and arrived on time. At first I was disappointed that it had no harness; but when I used it, no harness was needed. It is a little heavier than the cheapies. It's much stronger and more quiet than the cheapies. Right away I used it for trimming some grass, then set it to work on a job for a sharp shovel -- removing up to two inches of turf which had grown over a concrete walk in our back yard. Here's the "WOW!" It tore off all that turf.
I turned it over to the maintenance man for our apartments. He declared that it is great. He uses it for trimming and to maintain the sharp edge between the grass and sidewalks.
One word of caution. When the trimming season is over, empty the gas mix, and run the tool until it is completely out of gas. A fouled carburetor will disable even the best engine. NOTE! ANOTHER READER TELLS US TO USE "STABIL" IN THE GAS TANK. HE HAS HAS AN ENGINE RUINED WHEN HE RAN IT EMPTY. I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT EXPERIENCE. PLEASE LOOK AT HIS COMMENT TO MY REVIEW. (Oct. 2, 2011, and my trimmer is still going strong.)
p.s. If you buy a particularly good or bad product, it will be great if you share your experience in a customer review. For me, these reviews are what make Amazon.com my marketplace of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best (curved shaft) string trimmer you will find anywhere at this price!, May 9, 2011
Frankly, I'm amazed at how the prices fluctuate virtually daily on the Hitachi/Tanaka trimmer twins (yes, they are exactly the same except for the colors of their motor housings and string trimmer guard down at the business end of the trimmer).

The Hitachis are generally about $15-30 cheaper than the Tanakas, but on any given day, that differential will change.

Another thing, for some reason, Amazon has removed the links to the $20 Hitachi mail-in rebate form (although they still have the links on the pages of the Tanaka trimmers; go figure).

SO, if you don't mind getting a curved shaft (versus the straight, solid-shaft) Hitachi-branded trimmer, you will not be able to beat today's price. As I'm writing this, today's price is $1 3 9. 99 before rebate. Do a google search for "Hitachi trimmer 2011 rebate" to find and print out a copy of the rebate form, good through June 30th purchases, and you will get this great trimmer for less than $1 2 0!

It uses the same engine as the $40+ more expensive straight shaft model. The basic differences? The straight shaft model has a solid steel drive shaft connecting the engine to the transfer gear housing at the trimmer head end. The curved shaft models have to use a flexible drive cable because of the curved shaft.

The operational differences? People say the straight shaft trimmers give you better reach into and under things like wooden fence lower railings, raised decks, swing sets, etc. Also, the straight shafts are longer and put you the operator a little further back from the action (and things that fly out because of that action).

People also say that the solid steel straight shafts have more cutting torque at the head due to less give compared to a flexible cable shaft, plus people believe a solid steel shaft will last longer.

The possible downsides? The longer straight shaft puts you further back from the action so you can't see quite as well at the trimmer head to make finer position adjustments to get the exact cut and control you want (i.e., when using the trimmer in a 90 degree mode to act as a driveway or sidewalk edger).

Also, the straight shaft puts you not only further back, but it also puts you at a different position than a curved shaft - with the curved shaft you're more "on top" of the action. When using a curved shaft trimmer in the 90 degree position for edging, you're also in a better viewing position to fine-tune the cutting than you would be with a long straight shaft trimmer.

Finally, straight shaft trimmers have heads turning in the counter-clockwise direction - opposite from curved shaft trimmers. That can take some getting used to. Early on, you will find yourself being pelted by debris because you're not used to the different head rotation and find yourself being in the path of thrown debris when you try to use the straight shaft model exactly how you used to use your curved shaft trimmer.

If you can live with all of these changes, then you will NOT find another such high-quality trimmer for anywhere this no-tax, free shipping, price! Don't delay, the Amazon price is likely to change within hours...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely happy, May 17, 2012
We have some property by a lake a couple hours from our home. I got this trimmer for use there, and it is stored there. The first or second time it was used, one of the locking tabs broke off of the cutting head case (the part that you remove to add cutting line). Although it can be used as is, it is obviously more secure with both locking tabs in place.

I tried to get warranty support from Hitachi. I received a response to my first inquiry a week after I submitted it. I was directed to a parts distributor, but that parts distributor informed me that they do not do warranty work. I then contacted Hitachi customer service again, and was told that they would not send a replacement part, that I had to take it to an authorized service center. I explained that doing so would require several hours of driving and that all I needed was a replacement part. I was told that they would not provide the part, that my only recourse was to go to a service center.

Hitachi advertises their warranty on this product extensively. Apparently, however, that does not apply to replacement parts.

The product itself does work well, but it should not have had a broken part so soon and I am not happy with the service policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST TRIMMER I HAVE OWNED, May 28, 2010
I USED TO BUY THROW AWAY TRIMMERS EVERY FEW YEARS. THEY WERE LOUD, HARD TO START AND VIBRATED SIGNIFICANTLY. OUT OF THE BOX THIS TRIMMER STARTED IN TWO PULLS, ITS QUIET AND VERY SMOOTH, THE THROTTLE IS RESPONSIVE. YOU CAN FEEL THE QUALITY IN THIS MACHINE I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS MISSING. I HAVE A NUMBER OF HITACHI POWER TOOLS AND ALL HAVE BEEN EXCELLENT. THIS TRIMMER IS NO EXCEPTION. ALSO HITACHI OWNS TANAKA POWER TOOLS. TANAKA IS KNOWN FOR COMMERCIAL GRADE HIGH QUALITY. THIS TRIMMER IS THE SAME AS TANAKA TCG22EASSLP. LOOK AT THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF TANAKAS WEBSITE IT SAYS, HITACHI/KOKI.

B. CIRULLO

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, note other brand split shaft devices will not fit, January 9, 2011
My Ryobi weedwhacker died, I liked what I read about this Hitachi elsewhere, and I had some hope of fitting my now-useless Ryobi saw, blower, etc. onto this unit (I believe that Ryobi is the same size as several other brands that take attachments) but even though they look extremely similar in photos, the Ryobi devices will not mate with the Hitachi. One is too big for the other to fit by a small margin. Perhaps this winter I will look for a way to modify or adapt them to do so. I do like the Hitachi's operation and handling very well and recommend it, but Amazon ships it in the "store box" only, so check for damage carefully, there are parts rattling around inside. Earlier I had purchased one from Amazon's Warehouse Deals (a returned item apparently) at a small discount over "new" and they had not taped the box well enough before shipping, it arrived virtually destroyed with parts missing from the box. Taped it up again, shipped it back at Amazon's expense and ordered a new one which got here OK.

$249.99 $185.00
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.