Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: With Lock-On Switch|Change

on March 15, 2006
I now have four of the best quality grinders on the market. Without telling you all the brands I wanted this grinder because of the quality put into Hitachi products. This is a very well made 4 1/2 inch grinder with a heavy duty rating & great quality. The grinder is a few onces heaver but that is why it's more heavy duty. I placed a 3/4" diamond blade in this grinder and had no problem removing concrete & mortar in one pass between the brick joints. None of my other grinders could handle the size or load this grinder can handle. Hitachi puts out fantastic quality tools for pros and homeowners. If you need this type of tool don't waste your money on a cheap grinder, this one will put the others to shame.
on August 20, 2006
We use this grider to trim the hoofs on our dairy cattle. It is the only one that has lasted more than 1 yr. We are on our 3rd one now. A little on the heavy side, but the durability is worth the extra weight. Until we found this grinder, we were going through different one every week to a month. I've bought 3 and I'll buy more.
on August 11, 2004
Price is little steep @ $90 but is well worth it!

Paddle switch is very well designed it locks on easily one-handed ( I tried dewalt's and it did not work nearly as well)

Seems a little heavy @ first but is really easy to handle

Wish they included a case though

Works well with sanding kit
on December 17, 2010
Hitachi seems to specialize in delivering above-average tools at below-average prices. This grinder is powerful, fast, and durable. The toolless guard helps a ton, and can be used as a fence in a pinch (used a diamond wheel and straight edge to cut tile-- worked perfectly!).

There's no a whole lot to say about a grinder, other than lighter is better. This grinder isn't super-light, but not unmanageably heavy. 9 Amps is about all you'll ever need in a small grinder.

I'm not sure I like the paddle switch. I think I'd prefer a trigger switch, which is hard to find on a small angle grinder (they generally either have paddle switches or the sliding switches). The paddle switch on this unit doesn't seem to cooperate all the time-- it will lock on when you don't want it to, and it will fail to lock on at other times. I admit this is probably operator error on my part, but I have struggled with it from time to time.

Overall, this is a capable grinder at a great price. I believe the Bosch and Makita units to be the cream of the class, but they cost a bunch more, too.
on July 17, 2009
Our company uses and abuses 4 1/2 inch angle grinders, and this particular model by Hitachi is the toughest of the bunch. We own Makita, Bosch, Diteq and other brands, but this Hitachi has outlasted all of them under the same conditions. I would highly recommend this tool, as it is well designed and takes a lot of abuse without breaking. We do nothing but concrete grinding, and most of our grinders last less than a year, except for this one. We own 3 of them, as they've proven to be our #1 tool.
on June 2, 2014
Only used it lightly a few times so far, but it is a solidly built tool and easily cut through corrugated metal roofing panels. Guard is easily re-positioned, and the trigger setup is nice once you get the hang of the locking mechanism. I've used it to sharpen garden tools and fix some other random things around the house as well. Very useful tool! I second the other reviewer who was surprised it does not come with a case. Hitachi should at least send a soft case or some method of transport with the tool. As a side note - I was out on a commercial construction jobsite recently and saw the structural steel guys had all Hitachi grinders of various sizes, including this one. I did not ask about them, but those guys would not bring along tools that don't work, I do know that much.
on May 24, 2015
These 9.5 amp Hitachi's are amazing. They are super tough and reliable. Not sure how it compares to bosch or Makita but it will outlast and out perform all the others and the trigger is very natural and comfortable compared to the others.
on December 13, 2013
I have been using this grinder to remove the exterior paint of our apartment and so far so good. The machine was so powerful and I think it will last long. It is far better than my old milwaukee grinder.
on July 22, 2015
Works great but it is heavier than I expected I thought I read it weighed about 6 lbs. It actually weighed 9 lbs which makes it hard to hold on to when your starting to get arthritis in your hands.
on April 9, 2014
Have not really run a lot but it is heavier than my last Milwaukee and Dewalt. The body is also a lot bigger around making it harder to grip giving me less control. If you have very large hands this probably will not be an issue. Hoping the motor will last longer than my last two.

See 1 answered question