Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on November 22, 2006
Like many reviews I have read, I too can say that after exhaustive research I chose this model over the Panasonic (which to me was a close second). I like the "day" "night" settings and the black enhancement works wonderfully (despite reviews I have read to the contrary).

However, I had the same problem with the internal speakers as the reviewer from Melbourne, Fl (I too live in Central Florida). Hitachi tech support was no help. They had me disconnecting wires and reconnecting them and even sent me a software upgrade that did no good. Finally I called the store where I bought it and had their guy come (Sears). He was there 1 minute and made an adjustment on the audio settings on the cable box to HDMI!! It was the Bright House box setting causing the trouble. I'm sure the lady in Melbourne was smart enough to check her settings on the TV itself (another reviewer evidentally thought she was not)

Well enjoy the TV if you buy one. The Sears guy said the plasma will soon be obsolete and Laser TVs are on the way!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 22, 2011
We purchased this television almost five years ago and it's still holding up nicely. The picture is crisp and clear with no distortion, it is viewable from many different angles, and has provided us hours and hours and TV and Wii playing pleasure.

The one thing I really *don't* like about this television is the sound. It's been almost five years and I still can't get the sound to where I feel it is crisp and clear without being "hollow". I constantly play with the sound controls and although there are MANY options, the sounds is never really that great. I'm not looking for booming stereo-sound, just something that doesn't feel as if the music is vibrating the whole television and the voices aren't mumbling. Sooner or later we are going to have to invest in a separate sound system, but I sort of feel that if you invest a good bit of money in a good television, the sound should be up to par with the rest of the features.

I know this television is no longer available, but if anyone is looking to buy one second-hand or has the opportunity to own one, I thought I might share a review.
on November 20, 2006
This is the best plasma for under 2K. 281 trillion color combinations, 3 HDMI ports! Easy to mount, easy to hookup for surround sound. I've had this for a week, bought at Circuit City for $1600. I looked at the Panasonic, LG, Sony and Mitsubishi. Hitachi had the best picture of all of them.

Bottom line, if you don't have 4-5K to spend like most people, this TV will make all your friends think you spent that kind of money!
on March 24, 2007
I purchased this set through the Amazon "free shipping & no interest" plan. Truth be told, I decided in this set after visiting BestBuy three or four times to compare sets. For this set the final cost of Amazon's financing is competitive with the best flat out purchase rates currently available. Aside from comparing the build and picture quality in store, I also did a fair bit of online research on this Hitachi set. Needless to say, reviews are mixed, but ultimately the image in store convinced me. I also own a Panasonic plasma (their industrial PHD8UK series) that has phenomenal picture quality. The only make that eclipses the picture quality of the Panasonics are the high end Pioneers. However, I do not feel there is a large enough gap in PQ in order to warrant the steep markup for a Pioneer. Now the Hitachi 42HDS69 has a respectable picture quality. Specifically, the resolution is a step above the Panasonic and other non 1080p sets, the color is a bit off and definitely a step down from the Panasonic 42PHD8UK, and the blacks do not have as much depth as the Panasonic. Keep in mind that I am making my judgements strictly from standard definition TV programming as most top tier brand names will manage high def programming and DVD playback admirably. With the hitachi, on the lesser grade channels I see some horizontal white streakiing artifacts which are isolated to those specific channels, and IMO related to how the set renders the images with its higher resolution. The bottom line is that the picture quality, with tweaking, is comparable to the highest end sets. The build quality is very solid, slick looking and definitely looks more durable than the commercial Panasonic line that has sold very well and seems resistant to discounting. It may be a risk purchasing this set as there appears to be a fairly high degree of variability in the performance of the units. I think I got lucky and received a winner. If you are risk averse, I would highly recommend the Panasonic industrial series - of course do your homework. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend the Hitachi 42HDS69 as well, and absolutely prefer plasma picture quality over LCD - plasmas are still way ahead of the pack and 1080p will not be mainstream in the next 5 years, it will take longer than that and by then I will be ready for an upgrade.

RE my Amazon purchase experience, I purchased this on monday and received the set today, Saturday March 24, 2007. Impressive to say the least. The shipping was professional, the came when they said they would and full service. I have a feeling though that this response time depends on the brand that you purchase as I tried purchasing a Sharp LCD set in January that never arrived. I had to cancle the order mid-February.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon August 29, 2014
We purchased it for our 25 wedding anniversary in 2006, partly for ourselves and also for our teenage son who wanted a really great TV to play games. For some reason he ended up disgruntled (there was a lag time between when he played and when the TV responded). If we were gamers ourselves this might have been problematic. As it turns out, our son is now playing games on his own big screen TV in his own apartment and we are still enjoying our TV in our empty nest. In addition to watching our favorite TV shows, we also enjoy streaming films. Easy to use. Still a great TV after more than seven years. Marriage still going strong after 32 years.
on June 21, 2007
It has been more than a month now, since my wife and I purchased this tv. Let me tell you... It is a amazing. We have a near-500 dvd movie library, and this television is amply the centerpiece of the livingroom.

We first noticed it at the local PX (as I am military), in the electronics department. Of all the hd lcd's and plasmas there, THIS model drew "the crowd." It's not just the sleek design, it's all in the picture. CRYSTAL CLEAR. I mean CRYSTAL CLEAR! The brightness was amazing too. When you think of high-definition, it's tv's like this one that come to mind.

It has many, many perks, but one of my many favorite features is the VIEW FROM BEHIND! Yes, it has soooo many different connections and it can support. It is because of this tv, that my wife and I decided to completely upgrade our home theater system. The back of the system clearly shows you that it is a system you can build on. (From conventional rca, to s-video, to component, to hdmi...and we are talking about multiple connections for each)

You definitely get your money's worth.
on January 5, 2007
This was my 1st flat panel HDTV. Its great. Size is excellent for the average size room. Picture quality is very good with just a digital signal but unbelievable with a HD signal. Sound is good "out of the box" but again excellent when hooked to a home theater system. Recommend use of HDMI cable to achieve maximum performance from this unit. I shopped features vs. price for a number of similar sized units and this was, by far, the best value.
on July 4, 2015
I bought this brand new from best buy. In o7 when 08 models were released. I specifically asked and they found one in stock in back hidden. I was able to buy for less than 700 bucks,so i have owned this tv for 8 years and it has a plethora of inputs,many not offered on newer tvs. With some calibration offers a great picture,deep and rich. Also has built in cooling fans! i keep all my sensitive electronics on auto voltage regulators power conditioners
on April 5, 2007
I read all kinds of reviews on every type of TV out there. I already own a Samsung 50 inch DLP and wanted something that I could hang on the wall in the bedroom. For the price, this is a great TV. Friends have come over and saw some of the NCAA games on it in HD and agreed that it had a picture that was equivalent if not better than the DLP. I recommend this TV for any person that loves to watch anything in HD.
on November 14, 2006
Bought a scond one for our bedroom after owning the first two months . This after going to Best Buy and comparing Panasonic, etc. side by side. Even better that the new Sony 1080p's, in my humble opinion.

'Nuff said.