4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV
After months of reviewing plasma/LCD TV's I was set on buying the Panasonic 60U. Last month Hitachi came out with this native 1080i resolution TV. The picture beats Panasonic in every aspect. Rich blacks and true color will keep any viewer extremely happy. With 3 HDMI inputs, this TV is built for the future. I've only had the TV for a week, but I am very...
Published on July 20, 2006 by Big D

3.0 out of 5 stars awesome value
Pros- Price value is huge,I got mine for about $1,500 after taxes. Nice quality image with 1080i ability, stylish simple design, the swivel base stand is nice, outstanding connectivity choices including 3 HDMIs. The built-in speaker audio is above average for a flat panel, and low volume level isnt an issue. I have digital cable, and all of the non HD programing looked...
Published on December 10, 2006 by A. Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV!, November 13, 2006
This review is from: Hitachi Ultravision 42HDS69 42-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I had been hunting for a new flat screen tv for several months. At the beginning, I found this Hitachi and was very impressed with it's picture quality and price. Consumer reports rated it and the 42" Panasonic as good deals so I compared the two a number of times. I found the picture quality to be very similar but the Hitachi simply "felt" larger due to the wide enclosure as opposed to the box-like case of the Panasonic.

I have found the colors to be excellent and the overall picture quality is outstanding. With the HDMI, you are able to upconvert non-HD shows from 480i to 480p and the resulting picture quality is terrific. I had a crt projection tv with component cables prior to this and while the picture on that tv was good, it can't hold a candle to this. By the way, one reviewer mentioned that she couldn't get the internal tv speakers to work with the HDMI cable. They will work, just use the TV "Audio" menu to turn them on. One nice feature is the ability to use the tv speakers as a center channel speaker. That way you don't have to try to find a place on your stand for the center channel as well as all your electronics.

I purchased my tv at a local store on sale (seems like plasmas are ALWAYS on sale) for $1499 plus tax. Amazon is a good place to think about purchasing since there is no tax and no shipping fee. So far it is one of the best purchases I have made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plasma!, November 20, 2006
Jacqueline L. Smith (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This is the best plasma for under 2K. 281 trillion color combinations, 3 HDMI ports! Easy to mount, easy to hookup for surround sound. I've had this for a week, bought at Circuit City for $1600. I looked at the Panasonic, LG, Sony and Mitsubishi. Hitachi had the best picture of all of them.

Bottom line, if you don't have 4-5K to spend like most people, this TV will make all your friends think you spent that kind of money!

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy purchase, March 25, 2007
I purchased this set through the Amazon "free shipping & no interest" plan. Truth be told, I decided in this set after visiting BestBuy three or four times to compare sets. For this set the final cost of Amazon's financing is competitive with the best flat out purchase rates currently available. Aside from comparing the build and picture quality in store, I also did a fair bit of online research on this Hitachi set. Needless to say, reviews are mixed, but ultimately the image in store convinced me. I also own a Panasonic plasma (their industrial PHD8UK series) that has phenomenal picture quality. The only make that eclipses the picture quality of the Panasonics are the high end Pioneers. However, I do not feel there is a large enough gap in PQ in order to warrant the steep markup for a Pioneer. Now the Hitachi 42HDS69 has a respectable picture quality. Specifically, the resolution is a step above the Panasonic and other non 1080p sets, the color is a bit off and definitely a step down from the Panasonic 42PHD8UK, and the blacks do not have as much depth as the Panasonic. Keep in mind that I am making my judgements strictly from standard definition TV programming as most top tier brand names will manage high def programming and DVD playback admirably. With the hitachi, on the lesser grade channels I see some horizontal white streakiing artifacts which are isolated to those specific channels, and IMO related to how the set renders the images with its higher resolution. The bottom line is that the picture quality, with tweaking, is comparable to the highest end sets. The build quality is very solid, slick looking and definitely looks more durable than the commercial Panasonic line that has sold very well and seems resistant to discounting. It may be a risk purchasing this set as there appears to be a fairly high degree of variability in the performance of the units. I think I got lucky and received a winner. If you are risk averse, I would highly recommend the Panasonic industrial series - of course do your homework. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend the Hitachi 42HDS69 as well, and absolutely prefer plasma picture quality over LCD - plasmas are still way ahead of the pack and 1080p will not be mainstream in the next 5 years, it will take longer than that and by then I will be ready for an upgrade.

RE my Amazon purchase experience, I purchased this on monday and received the set today, Saturday March 24, 2007. Impressive to say the least. The shipping was professional, the came when they said they would and full service. I have a feeling though that this response time depends on the brand that you purchase as I tried purchasing a Sharp LCD set in January that never arrived. I had to cancle the order mid-February.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent television that has stood the test of time, August 22, 2011
We purchased this television almost five years ago and it's still holding up nicely. The picture is crisp and clear with no distortion, it is viewable from many different angles, and has provided us hours and hours and TV and Wii playing pleasure.

The one thing I really *don't* like about this television is the sound. It's been almost five years and I still can't get the sound to where I feel it is crisp and clear without being "hollow". I constantly play with the sound controls and although there are MANY options, the sounds is never really that great. I'm not looking for booming stereo-sound, just something that doesn't feel as if the music is vibrating the whole television and the voices aren't mumbling. Sooner or later we are going to have to invest in a separate sound system, but I sort of feel that if you invest a good bit of money in a good television, the sound should be up to par with the rest of the features.

I know this television is no longer available, but if anyone is looking to buy one second-hand or has the opportunity to own one, I thought I might share a review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture!, April 6, 2007
I read all kinds of reviews on every type of TV out there. I already own a Samsung 50 inch DLP and wanted something that I could hang on the wall in the bedroom. For the price, this is a great TV. Friends have come over and saw some of the NCAA games on it in HD and agreed that it had a picture that was equivalent if not better than the DLP. I recommend this TV for any person that loves to watch anything in HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi Ultravision 42HDS69 42" Plasma HDTV, January 5, 2007
This was my 1st flat panel HDTV. Its great. Size is excellent for the average size room. Picture quality is very good with just a digital signal but unbelievable with a HD signal. Sound is good "out of the box" but again excellent when hooked to a home theater system. Recommend use of HDMI cable to achieve maximum performance from this unit. I shopped features vs. price for a number of similar sized units and this was, by far, the best value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our first HDTV, November 14, 2006
Bought a scond one for our bedroom after owning the first two months . This after going to Best Buy and comparing Panasonic, etc. side by side. Even better that the new Sony 1080p's, in my humble opinion.

'Nuff said.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mix of bad and good experiences, January 31, 2008
Jonathan M. Davis (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This was one of the first affordable, large, high-def TVs to break a certain price barrier ($1,500), and as such it was my first HDTV.

Setting this thing up in my living room, I was floored. I turned all the lights off and watched nature showson PBS with abolute awe, smiling ear-to-ear, breathing in the incredible high def scenery that was before me.

It's hard for me to review this TV subjectively against other TVs that are out there because I've only ever had this one HDTV, and the HDTV bar keeps rising. I just bought my parents a 46" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV that supports 1080p for just a hair more money ($100 or so) than when I bought this Hitachi a year and a couple months ago.

That said, my TV is not obsoleted yet. This TV supports 1080i, and vertically speaking it supports 1080p with the 1080 pixels, but not the 1920 pixels, so the pixel dimensions are a bit stretched. If you connect a computer, it'd look stretched horizontally and full of jaggies. But a true 1080i signal, such as that coming from my Xbox 360, looks absolutly perfect; jaggies are only visible from up close.

The number of connectors on this thing is perfect. I can only wish other TVs supported as many. And it has a built-in QAM tuner and an OCUR CableCard slot, so if you don't need a recorder in the mix you can watch high def digital TV from either analog or digital cable right from the get-go (without a receiver). It takes my Xbox 360, my DVD player, and my Blu-ray player, two of which are HDMI, plus I have an HDMI port on the side to spare (and then some other connectors as well). I was able to plug two different computers to it without too many issues. My one complaint about the features is that there aren't any independent digital audio inputs. Also, my Blu-ray HDMI hook-up didn't pass-through from the TV's optical out successfully; I don't know if this is an HDCP limitation or a limitation of this TV model, but I have to connect both my Blu-ray player and my Xbox 360 directly to my audio receiver to get digital audio out of my TV while using those devices; my DVD player, on the other hand, works fine with HDMI to TV and TV optical out to my receiver.

On the video quality side, while the color and detail are awesome, I've noticed some odd erratic behavior in some HDTV scenes along color highlights; white, noisy pixels pop in and out around bright areas with each frame. Just when I think there's something wrong with my TV, the cameras switch or the scene changes and it looks fine again, so I figure it's just bad film processing or something. But this has happened so often, with so many channels, that I'm convinced that there's something a little wrong with the decoder or something. It's rarely distracting but I notice it from time to time.

I had my power supply replaced once. This was a month and a half of downtime because the local repair shop's billing account with Hitachi was screwed up at Hitachi. Be warned, on two counts: Hitachi HDTVs fall apart fast, and they as a company don't have their act together while maintaining their records.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Gorgeous, June 22, 2007
M. Gould (okinawa, japan) - See all my reviews
It has been more than a month now, since my wife and I purchased this tv. Let me tell you... It is a amazing. We have a near-500 dvd movie library, and this television is amply the centerpiece of the livingroom.

We first noticed it at the local PX (as I am military), in the electronics department. Of all the hd lcd's and plasmas there, THIS model drew "the crowd." It's not just the sleek design, it's all in the picture. CRYSTAL CLEAR. I mean CRYSTAL CLEAR! The brightness was amazing too. When you think of high-definition, it's tv's like this one that come to mind.

It has many, many perks, but one of my many favorite features is the VIEW FROM BEHIND! Yes, it has soooo many different connections and it can support. It is because of this tv, that my wife and I decided to completely upgrade our home theater system. The back of the system clearly shows you that it is a system you can build on. (From conventional rca, to s-video, to component, to hdmi...and we are talking about multiple connections for each)

You definitely get your money's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME TELEVISION, May 25, 2007
D. Novak (Wesley Chapel, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted to buy a plasma screen for my husband has a surprise, so I did a lot of research. The Hitachi Ultravision received the best reviews overall. My husband couldn't be happier. The picture is stunning. One thing I noticed, as with all TVs, the closer you get, the fuzzy the picture gets. I wouldn't view this set or any other set closer than five or six feet. Ours is in our workout room in front of the eliptical machine which is about six feet away from the set. The picture is fantastic. Delivery was a breeze and fast. The gentleman who delivered the set made sure that I checked the item for any cracks or defects. He was extremely helpful. I bought the two year warranty with this and the suggested wall mount. My husband said the wall mount was easy to install.

Hitachi Ultravision 42HDS69 42-Inch Plasma HDTV