5.0 out of 5 stars This was a hit with me
Published on April 13, 2008 by - Kasia S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Heard
Published on March 16, 2008 by Uncle Chino

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a hit with me, April 13, 2008
I didn't expect to be impressed with this movie because in my mind it was simply another flick made from a video game but man, I was blown away! In fact it was so enjoyable that ten minutes after finishing it I wanted to see it again, and that rarely happens. Never mind the few geographical errors, this movie is all action and there is no waste of precious minutes on mindless love scenes - the one actually has one cut short by the main hero and it was humorous, how he was all business, him being this monk killer for hire who lives a chaste life. In a way it was like a James Bond character who actually didn't try to bed all the babes, impressive. And Timothy Olyphant was flawless, even thought I prefer men with longer hair he looked cool and totally acted the part, mysterious, brooding but with a heart in there somewhere.

Bald and serious, dressed in an expensive suit, red silk tie and an impeccably crisp white shirt the Hitman is a force to be reckoned with. He's not too emotional but rather straightforward with a little bit of a charm threw in as he works his meticulously planned hits until one day everything changes. In a very short time the predator turns into juicy prey and he must use all of his killer skills to catch the bad guys. Trouble is finding out who the bad guys are, I liked watching this movie without knowing anything about it, but I will just say it involved the Russian secret police and the Interpol chasing the Hitman while someone from the inside of his secret agency was trying to put him in the harm's way. The twists and turns, betrayals laced with action and ferocious weaponry all in one were a feast for the mind and eyes.

This movie was like a day at the beach, the bullets spraying the sky like the morning surf hitting the warm sand. Action galore and clever fights using all sorts of guns and ammo , hand combat and even a sword scene all mashed beautifully, it is all art, a ballet almost , full of grace with deadly intentions, I loved it and can't say enough good things about it.

- Kasia S.

5.0 out of 5 stars It helps that he is a little bit HOT!, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Hitman (DVD)
I really enjoyed this movie....I mean what is there not to like. You have a hitman (the sexy #47) who has been trained from childhood to be the best at what he does. Trained to hold his breath, shoot anything that moves from any distance, armed with sexy weapons and a barcode (tattooed beautifully in his scalp), along with an air of calm (that would make anyone scared who he faces), he is the perfect killing machine and running for his life. Determined to protect Nika, a prostitute to the President of Russia, from who else (her lover), #47 goes about the task of fighting the bad guys and righting what he thinks are wrongs. With a Interpol Cop on his heels, he attempts to uncover the truth about why someone he thought he killed wants him dead and what the whole thing is about. I enjoyed this movie...with its cool fight scenes and nice special effects. It was definitely worth renting on a Sunday afternoon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Heard, March 16, 2008
This review is from: Hitman (Unrated Edition) (DVD)
I had heard a lot of bad things and bad reviews about this movie. I was suprised when I watched it that it was as good as it was. I thought Timothy Olyphant did a good job and that the girl who played his love interest was also good and HOT. The guy that plays T-Bag on the TV show Prison Break was also good. I have never played this game but I thought the story was pretty solid. It kind of reminded me of The Bourne Identity as he is a trained super assassin from a place that churns them out and he has flash backs of good and bad things.

Anyway, the action rocked and it was exciting and entertaining beginning to end. It was pretty good and fun to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Was Amazing, April 4, 2008
Yet another game to movie adaptation, but this one has a major difference. It's actually pretty damn cool.

Timothy Olyphant fits perfectly into the role of Agent 47, an orphan who is taken in and trained by an agency that trains children to be the most stealthy and deadly hitmen in the world. Agent 47 is the best of the best of all the Hitmen raised and trained by "The Organization." He is called in to perform on a hit on the Russian President Mikhail Belicoff, however the hit is a setup and 47 finds himself on the run from Interpol & The Russian Secret Police.
While on the run, 47 endeavours to get revenge and find the truth about who set him up and why. This unravels a tangled web of lies and deceipt as one by one he kills those who have done him wrong, including those who are also members of "The Organisation."
During his streak he comes across an unlikely companion in Nika Boronina who we come to see gives 47 emotions and feelings that he's never encountered before.

This is a really good movie and something that at times keeps so close to the game that you come to think this is a game in itself. Timothy Olyphant plays 47 incredibly and although 47 is conventionally an emotionless character but within the movie we are given emotion that is being held back. That may be a bit of an oxymoron but the way in which Olyphant portrays it is amazing as it's a character that has all this emotion built up inside but is trying to hold it back.
The action, dialogue and cinematography of this film I found to be incredibly intelligent. It has moments in it that you can identify to the game and there's one point in particular which the game itself is given a nod. 47 breaks through the window of a hotel room and it cuts to a vision of kids playing the video game hitman.

Overall this was a very, very good film which I have to admit I didn't really have high hopes for in the beginning. I am glad to say my preconceptions were changed within the first 5 minutes into the movie and I am sure to watch it again.

You should check it out whether you're a fan of the game or not, it's still a pretty special piece.

4.0 out of 5 stars it hits with me, April 19, 2008
This review is from: Hitman (Unrated Edition) (DVD)
Hitman was an enjoyable movie with references throughout towards to the video game series on which it is based on. They picked a good one (Timothy Olyphant-Scream 2, Live Free or Die Hard) to play the title character and he does so with style but also a fierceness as well. He dispatches any and all that come his way or end up and his already dead marks. From hand to hand combat, guns, sword fights with others like him from the Organization that trained, fed, clothed and made them into the powerful yet deadly freelance agents they are.

It is touched on his background with the organization but hope it might be expanded on in a future movie. Entertaining, action packed and loaded with violence add a little bit of storyline and you have a fun and far more entertaining movie than i thought it could be. Usually i'm not too hyped over video games made into movies, but Hitman isn't like that at all.

Very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitman fanatic, April 27, 2008
I thought because it didn't do to well in theaters (there & gone) that it would be mediocere at best, but I needed it for my collection.

Man, was wrong. A well done film, good story line and acting, some things that if you don't play the video game you would miss, but still worth it.

I came with a digital copy for the iPod, and is in full 1080p.

The purist won't appreciate the love story (kind of) sub-plot, but it's not overly done and does not detract from the overall experience.

Not-Rated for a reason, not for the young one's

5.0 out of 5 stars #47 With a Bullet, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Hitman (Unrated Edition) (DVD)
I remember going to the movie theatre and deciding I'd rather see "Hitman" a second time rather than what I'd intended to see. When the DVD came out, I waited for a good price & then grabbed it. I know it's one I'll pull out repeatedly and enjoy.

The film has just the right mix. The most interesting part of the film is how Agent 47 has NO experience with women. Obviously, when Nika comes into the picutre and Olga Kurylenko walks around disrobed, you can see him torn between his biological reaction and his training which keeps him focused on the mission. Timothy Olyphant who was on the TV series "Deadwood" shines in the center spotlight in this film. You can tell that inside the ultra-disciplined assassin lies a human being.

Danish actor Ulrich Thomsen plays Bellicoff with a good journeyman performance. Dougray Scott from "Mission Impossible 2" was also excellent as Mike Whittier the British agent that keeps on the trail.

I liked the unexpected twists in the plot such as having the Russians be ordered to assassinate their own leader. Like "Die Hard" or Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Widescreen Edition), this is a film that picked me up from the first frame and riveted my attention to the end. The performances, special effects and direction were first rate. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this Movie .. lots of action ... a video game come to life !, May 14, 2008
I just loved this movie .. maybe because it is etheral ...
The Lighting of the film is phenomenal, the photography and
framing of the scenes is brillant ... and the action is kind of gory and
violent, but sometimes we watch films to escape reality.

I like the 'stone-cold-ness' of the character - #47 who
barely shows glimpses of emotions. But when he does ... it just
hits you.

Nika (the Russian Brunetted played by Olga ?? - the next James
Bond girl), pulls off coming from slutty prostitute owned by the
syndicate (or whatever this movie terms it) ... to simply adorable ..
and she has a great body ... and this movie is quick to show it ..

And it is strange .. James Bond has his weaknesses .. for booze and
women. #47 resists her advances. Even hits her with a knock-out
dart when when climbs aboard him and tries to seduce him.

Olga is headed for big things (as evidenced by the producers
picking her up for the next James Bond Installment).

I'm hoping there is a sequel. Combined sales of this movie totalled
close to 90 million. I'd say there is an interest.

I have a feeling, when this movie hits cable, it's going to be
a silent sleeper smash ... just like some films like "Eddie
and the Cruisers" died at the box office .. and became an instant
cult classic when TBS aired it .. so much that they had a sequel ..
of course .. though it was great and what the fans wanted ...
it disappeared also. Oh well ....

The remarkable thing about this, was that Vin Diesel was slated
to play the lead and opted out. I would have loved to see Vin's
portrayal of this character as obviously, it was written with him
in mind ... but the actor they picked ... a handsome and popular
actor whom they convinced to shave his head for this role .. created
a cold blooded killer with glimpses of a hidden heart.

It is amazing how some people loved this movie .. and some could
care less. I can't wait to go home and watch it again ... and I
rarely watch a movie more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply liked it!, March 22, 2008
This review is from: Hitman (DVD)
By far this was the best action/ martial arts movie in years. To me it fit and I liked it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hitman, April 5, 2008
I thought they did a good job adapting this title from the game. It could have been a little more in depth, but overall it was a very enjoyable movie to watch.

Hitman (Unrated Edition)
Hitman (Unrated Edition) by Xavier Gens (DVD - 2008)
$14.98 $4.99