Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BOZ SCAGGS HITS
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 10, 2006
This title was originally issued in 1980 as a 10-track LP, and reissued verbatim on CD in 1990. The album's intent was to provide a hits-oriented overview of Scaggs' 1970s solo work, focusing on the years surrounding his 1976 multi-platinum breakthrough LP, "Silk Degrees." This reworking of the "Hits!" title expands upon the original theme with six additional tracks gathered from late '70s releases, and drops the song "You Can Have Me Anytime."

As with the original ten-track release, this fifteen-track reissue picks up Scaggs' story in 1972 with the Muscle Shoals styled "Dinah Flo" and 1974's Motown influenced "You Make it So Hard (to Say No)." The expanded track lineup adds the string-lined title ballad of 1974's "Slow Dancer," which helps show that the transition from 1974 to 1976 was more evolution than reinvention. U.S. radio listeners will remember the disco-tinged soul and jazz of 1976's "Silk Degrees" LP as a key part of the bicentennial soundtrack. The original "Hits!" lineup of "We're All Alone," "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle" is augmented here with "What Can I Say," "It's Over," and "Harbor Lights." And with 60% of the original album now included here, listeners may start to think (quite correctly) that "Silk Degrees" is a greatest-hits package in and of itself.

Scaggs' follow-up LP, "Down Two Then Left" was enough of a commercial disappointment to have been ignored on the original "Hits!" release; here it's represented by the soulful "Hard Times." The collection is filled out with a healthy dose of Scaggs' decade-end work, including "Jo Jo" and "Breakdown Dead Ahead" from his 1980 release "Middle Man," and his contribution to the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack, "Look What You've Done to Me." The remaining new addition to the original track lineup is "Heart of Mine," taken from Scaggs' 1988 return to recording, "Other Roads."

At 64-minutes this is a generous single disc, but not nearly as comprehensive as 1998's 2-CD set "My Time: The Anthology (1969-1997)." This is perfect for those who (1) want more breadth than they'll get by buying "Silk Degrees," (2) need less depth than the 2-CD anthology, and (3) are fans of the hits rather than Scaggs and his individual albums. If a few of the titles here grab you, this (or "Silk Degrees") are the way to go. If the '70s focus is too narrow, look up the anthology for early classics ("Someone Loan Me a Dime") and material from the '90s. 4-1/2 stars, if allowed fractional ratings. [©2006 hyperbolium dot com]
44 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2006
When I was a little kid and VH-1 still played music videos, Boz Scaggs hit it big in the late eighties with "Heart of Mine", which I still believe is the best pop ballad of the decade. Years would pass and I would pick up albums he would release, the best which was last year's domestic release of "Fade Into Light".

One thing I never aquired was some of his earlier work. I don't even own a copy of "Silk Degrees"! But when I was at the record store and I stumbled upon "Hits!", I found it impossible not to pick it up. It is a refreshing album for a fall afternoon drive. Scaggs is truly one of the great voices of modern times and this collection is proof.
on June 19, 2007
I know that Bob Ludwig at Gateway tends to overaccentuate the high end on his remastering endeavors, but when "Jo Jo" bursted into my speakers on track #2, i was BLOWN away; it was as if the Summer of 1980 blew my way like a big beautiful gust of wind. It sounded GREAT! I've ended up enjoying this collection much more than i anticipated, and am glad i waited until the remastered/expanded edition came out to finally purchase "Hits"! Was also glad to see Sony/Legacy remaster Silk Degrees earlier this year as well, finally. If you're also a Toto fan (which i admit i am--they played on both Silk Degrees and Middle Man), you'll love this collection. I haven't been able to get Jo Jo out of my head all week! Thanks for reading!
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2014
I was a Boz Scaggs fan in his heyday, but had more or less forgotten about him when I started hearing his hits on satellite radio. He recorded some great music, and this hits collection has them all: Lowdown, Lido, Breakdown Dead Ahead, Harbor Lights. and others. His music is as fresh today as it was then.
on September 26, 2007
This upgraded version of the previously released "Hits!" is certainly an improvement over the one released in 1980. There are more songs to show the talent of Boz Scaggs, which is needed in a single disc. The sound is great and it has added songs from "Silk Degrees", which is a treat. I, personally think it's a good overview of his early years. If you are a fan of Boz Scaggs' early work, get this, it has many of the songs that you'll want, especially if you are more of a casual fan.
on March 9, 2013
I have always loved his music. I am still in love with the music of the 70s and 80s; whenever I can find a CD from someone I used to listen to when I was young--I try to buy it. It is so great that Amazon makes this available to those of us who cannot let go of their past. LOL The CD I ordered was in excellent condition--the sound was great and I plan on listening to it for years to come!
Ah, the silky-smooth sound of Boz Scaggs! This hot little album contains some of his best work ever – Miss Sun, Slow Dancer, Low Down, and (of course!) Lido Shuffle. All of the tunes have been digitally remastered, and they all sound absolutely great!

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? This is a great album with a great jazzy sound, and I give it my highest recommendations. If you like good music, then you WILL love this album.
on December 19, 2015
I have liked Boz since the 70's, but he was kind of peripheral to my music tastes so I didn't dig too deep, knew a few songs and liked them.. So I saw this CD and thought it would be nice to hear him again. I cannot believe how many good songs are on this disc! I love the entire thing, it's mellow, relaxing, very nicely produced and a joy to listen to.
on February 7, 2013
What can I say, Boz Scaggs! My husband & I have always loved his
music - no complaints, highly recommend this.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2013
In a recent Real Housewives of Beverly Hills episode, David Foster was asked about his favorite song. "Look What You've Done to Me" by Boz Skaggs was the answer. Foster recalled being in his home about coming up with a song. While playing several tunes, Boz wanted that specific tune and it turned out to be "Look What You've Done to Me." The story was in the back of my mind in ordering the compact disc of his greatest hits. The song is definitely a classic that has endured through time.

I also enjoyed his other songs including "We're All Alone" which is just as powerful as Rita Coolidge's recording. Boz Skaggs has a rich voice and sings beautifully. Every song in this collection has been enhanced and improved by today's standards. Still all the songs are worth listening more than once. I can't believe that this is my first Boz Skaggs compact disc. He is becoming one of my favorite male vocalists.