5.0 out of 5 stars A new, refreshing take on the genre
Published 18 months ago by Dylan James Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasted (or postponed?) premise
Whatever Hugh Howey recommends I'll look into, and he mentioned this one somewhere. I love concepts of civilization setbacks, where "devolved" people in a low-tech future wander through the rubble of our present, and crave for or struggle to understand the stuff we take for granted today. I bought Hive the minute I saw this passage in the blurb:

"Nearly two...
Published 17 months ago by Daniel Milford

5.0 out of 5 stars A new, refreshing take on the genre, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
Azina is a mercenary, the no-nonsense female leader of a group of misfits who earn their living as hired guns. A group of ‘prospectors’, searching for the forgotten wealth of a planet struggling to rebuild two centuries after a zombie plague, have gone missing in a sealed bunker. Azina and her team of diverse mercenaries are assigned to find the small group. Once inside the bunker they stumble upon a buried city and things quickly turn chaotic. The city isn’t as deserted as they thought, and what crawls from the darkness is a horror mankind thought it’d never see again.

Hive, by Griffin Hayes, is a short novella which feels shorter than it is because the outstanding prose drags you along at breakneck speed. The characters have their quirks but each one is identifiable and come alive off the page; even Bron, a larger than life man outfitted in steel plates with twin 20mm cannons built into his arms. He’s some dude you definitely want on your side. But the joy of this book’s characters is the lead, Azina: told in first person present tense, the musings of Azina are simply awesome, and immediately pull you into her skin.

“Pennies is fiddling with the cuff of his tunic. His eyes keep dropping to my breasts and I’m a second away from knocking his teeth straight into his nasal cavity.” There, right there, on page one, you know Azina is not to be messed with and you instantly admire her demeanor and bad-ass attitude.

The world Hayes creates inside the crumbling subterranean city is just as life-like as the characters thrust into this horrific situation. It’s Earth, a shopping mall with stores such as Armani, Ralph Lauren, and Chanel—only it’s two hundred years after the zombie apocalypse and the place is a collapsing hell-hole filled with the nightmares of past horrors. And these horrors lend a new, refreshing take on the genre, which only serve to increase their danger, and heighten the tension of Azina and her gang, trapped in the depths with them.

Perhaps you think I’m gushing with too much praise, but like dark blood gushing from the cleaved skull of an undead Zee, this praise is worth being spilled.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasted (or postponed?) premise, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)

"Nearly two hundred years after the planet was ravaged by millions of undead Zees, the human race is still struggling to rebuild. The Zees may be long gone, but so too are centuries of scientific advancement."

Alas, I feel a bit misled. As it turns out, the Zees aren't "long gone". This basically reads as a zombie story, and what little is said or revealed about earlier times is either confusing or uninteresting where it should be compelling. The writing isn't bad, per se, this just wasn't what I was looking for and it failed to suck me in. That said, the next installments might deal with more interesting issues, but the reason given for the end of our civilization isn't nearly fascinating enough for me to continue reading this series.

Give it a try if you like steampunk, ShadowRun or zombies. Otherwise, I can't really recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars DEFINITELY WORTH THE READ!, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
This novella was so much better than I thought it would be. I've read quite a lot of zombie books the past year and with the exceptions of "Hollowland" by Amanda Hocking and "Solstice" by Donna Burgess, they're all rather the same. "Hive" doesn't add anything new to the zombie genre, but it's well-written, a little different, terrifying, and in the span of eighty pages, I became quite attached to some of the characters. It's definitely a worthwhile read and horror fans will love it. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hive., June 18, 2013
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
This story was so good, that before I was even halfway finished I went and bought book 2! Plus I ended up buying 3 other books by this Author. I'm thinking I've found me another new go to writer. Mr. Hayes writing is smooth, and you get to know and love his characters so much, that they almost become a part of you. I'd recommend this book to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love zombies?, April 26, 2013
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
If you love zombies this book is for you! Great futuristic book about a group of very different individuals who encounter zombies while searching for something else entirely! I'm not exactly a zombie fan but I am a griffin Hayes fan so I figured I'd check this out. Great story great characters. Check it and his other books out!

5.0 out of 5 stars The future is bleak. Zees are coming!, September 11, 2012
Horror_Nerd (Drew,Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
Two hundred years after the planet was ravaged by millions of 'zees', humanity is struggling to rebuild. The Keepers of Knowledge seek out old world technology and when some of their prospectors go missing, they hire Azina and her band of mercenaries to search for them.

A point comes where one can only stomach the same basic ideas of zombie literature before they get tired and look for something different. "Hive" a novella by Griffin Hayes is a fresh take on an over saturated genre. From the method of infection to their behaviors, these creatures are not those you are used to reading about.

The pacing,characters, and plot are all handled well and make for a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next!, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
I love zombie fiction. When I heard about Hive, I really wanted to read it, and wasn't disappointed. It's exactly the kind of zombie story I like. Hive is set far into the future, which is far more appealing to me than zombie fic that takes place during the initial outbreak. I think it's more fun to imagine the lasting effects of the zombie apocalypse rather than read or write yet another version of how they come to be. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I read those, too. I just love the world-building in apocalyptic tales.)

I don't tend to read novellas, but am glad I read Hive. For .99 it's a steal. A fair amount of the free or bargain priced books I've gotten for my kindle are painful to get through. Hive is nothing like those slushy books--it's actually pretty fantastic. The cover is just perfect, too. Creepy and graphic, and indicative of what's inside.

The story moved along at a good pace, with the action scenes clear in my mind, (which is so important for something action-heavy like this). The voice was great, very engaging. I pictured the MC almost like Frankie from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow... fierce, badass, and likeable despite (because of) her hardness. I'm usually not even a fan of first person present POV, but Hayes does it so well that it adds to the story, not detracts.

I thought the characters were realistic and well rounded, although Ret could probably have used a bit more. However, given that this is a novella, he did a great job fleshing out the characters. Even with the low word count, some of the characters were more real than those in beefier books. For example, I was really drawn to the character Sneak.

That's the problem with novellas--I wanted more! (But that's just me being selfish, and not a fault of the author's .) I could easily have read this at 80-100k words and not been bored. The world Hayes built was really rich, and I loved all the hierarchy and structure, because that's what people do. It made sense. Luckily for us, this is the first in the series, because it seems a lot of the questions Hive left me with will be answered later on. Good! Because in the short time we had, I really grew to love these characters.

Which brings me to my only real critique. The ending felt pretty rushed to me. Of course, the ending was jam-packed with action, I mean... hello, zombies... and of course action moves quickly, but maybe not quite that quickly. As a reader I wanted a little bit bigger payoff at the end. But like I said, I don't tend to read novellas, so expecting a novel ending for a novella is perhaps a bit unfair. Still, I think everyone would've reacted a little differently than they did. A little introspection would go a long way here, other than just 'the world's not ready for this.' And maybe that's why it feels rushed--because the MC doesn't really think about things at the end. I think a few lines of introspection would give more of the emotional payout a reader is looking for.

And that's me nit-picking, because I wanted more, because the story was so good. Hayes created some really original zombie mythology here. The whole concept of the hive itself--being able to sense the others, their communication--it was so unique, but it made so much sense. It doesn't violate my sense of zombie cannon, but instead, I feel like it's the missing piece of zombie lore that we're gifted with.

Also, I feel like I must mention that the night I read Hive, I had an Amish zombie inspired dream. Hive was good, I really, really, really wanted more, and it gave me a fantastic scary dream. Why aren't you reading it yet?

Post-apocalyptic zombie tale with original mythology, strong characters, engaging voice, clear action scenes, and the promise of more? I'd definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Batch of nothing, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
Book has a great start, we get introduced to a gang of " finders" who are looking for 4 lost members of the city. After squeezing thru a very tight slot into the 200 plus year deserted city sewers they discover one of the lost. Before their eyes he starts to turn into a zombie. That is at the start of chapter 4 and all the way to the end its lob the zombie head off the neck. Such a promising start and such a ho hum drum end

3.0 out of 5 stars Different…, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
In this apocalyptic tale the zombie virus halts the body from deteriorating completely. So these zombies have been trapped for two hundred years just waiting to be let loose.

It's a different take on the zombie genre. Could use some editing, and some rewording. Maybe it's way the author wanted to say it, or maybe its me. I'll definitely check out the next book if nothing more than to see what happens to Azina.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
the book was interesting and very descriptive. very well laid out and also had action. ready to ready the rest of the series

Hive