Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 22, 2013
My mom has had bad insomnia for several years, more noticeably in the past year as she recovered from knee surgery that left her in a lot of pain even after her knee had "healed". She tried everything for sleep: melatonin, Ambien, a 1/2 glass of wine, herbal remedies, diets, low/no sugar, the list goes on and on. She already was eating healthy and exercising as much as could be expected, but she could not sleep. I got her DVDs and CDs from the library and she hated them all. Then I thought of this on 1/13/13, and now she sleeps!!!!!!

She doesn't have that blissful perfect sleep that she wants, but now she dozes off and wakes up more rested - without medication for sleep! We've had this for 5 days and the change is definitely noticeable!

The sounds are as listed: ocean, summer night, rain, thunder, white noise and brook.

"Ocean" is perfect, the dogs think the beach is in the bedroom and you think a surfer will walk in at any moment!
"Summer Night" has cricket noises and sounds like riding Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland (without the music)
"Rain" is by far the most relaxing.
The "Thunder" one is odd as you would think thunder is a scary noise for some, but hey if it works for you use it!
"White Noise" sounds just like a fan, a kind of noisy fan, but a fan.
"Brook" sounds bubbly and is my least favorite... it sounds like a brook but also like a faucet running.

My mom listens to this very loud for some reason - I can hear it 2 rooms away - but she can sleep with it like that. I come in and turn it down when I go by her room and she doesn't wake up. The sound is unobtrusive even when it is loud, and when I do hear it I am usually reading or something and it is pretty comforting.

The audio does not sound tinny at all and is very realistic. I was surprised at the sound quality especially when she had it turned up so loud, but it was very good.

I bought this model because it specifically did not have the heartbeat sound - maybe good for kids who have not read Edgar Allan Poe, but not for us!

Note: This one can play ALL NIGHT LONG!! I was afraid the timer feature was the only way to use it as with some other brands/models, but you just turn this on and let it run as long as you want. Thanks to the other reviewer who mentioned that feature.

The unit is very lightweight and I can see how it can be very portable for trips. Not sure how long the batteries would last, so will probably use it with the adapter whenever we can. It is so lightweight, I do think that if you dropped it, it would probably break or crack, so be careful with it.

Definitely worth the money!
1414 comments| 776 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2013
After 1 year and 8 days, this unit heated up and started to melt under the volume knob. Of course it was 8 days out of the warranty coverage. It was in a guest room, and we happened to notice the acrid smell of burning wiring when cleaning the room. The plug in charger was almost too hot to remove from the wall outlet. This is the second one of these too fail; we had an earlier one quit working at the 2-year mark, again due to the volume knob failing. I strongly recommend not buying this model.
review image
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
I bought this item in March 2013 and have used it a total of 20 nights while traveling. At home I use a Ecotunes Duet but it is unfortunately too big to pack with me so I tried to save some money and buy one of these rather than the Nomad for travel. It worked fine for 20 nights in various places but Monday I got into the hotel and plugged the unit at bedtime. My Homedics machine has somehow started playing a man's voice sounding somewhat like a CB radio "looks like a mockingbird" or portions of that sentence over whichever sound I select. I do not have the slightest idea how this is even possible but I tried plugging the unit in elsewhere and again the next night and still getting the same problem (see video for proof).

I called Homedics this morning since the item has a 1 year warranty and it hasn't even been 3 months and told them about the issue. The Homedics representative first told me it isn't possible (again video proof) then told me they have none of these in stock so there is nothing they can do for me. What good is a warranty if they won't honor it??? No offer to replace the unit no offer to repair just said she couldn't do anything for me. I explained to her that it has a 1 year warranty and has been 3 months and asked if she knew how to add and subtract to tell that it is under warranty. They offered to replace it with one of their cheaper units but what kind of service is that? Why on earth would I send in a $20+ unit to get one that costs $6 online..it would cost more for me to ship this to them? This thing is a POS and their warranty support is even worse. Stay away from this device unless you think the guy talking about the mockingbird in the video is relaxing.
7676 comments| 799 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2012
I have this noise machine running 24 hours a day. The sounds help me to fall asleep at night and keep my dog from hearing those little noises outside of my apartment (people walking) that cause her to constantly bark. Helps me sleep and keeps my neighbors happy!
1212 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2012
I would recommend this for anyone who needs noise to sleep. I love it! Works perfectly, puts me right back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night.
77 comments| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
The repeating pattern is hypnotic and can put you to sleep in a hurry. If you want to leave it playing continuously, just turn it on and it stays on. If you want timed operation, just select 15, 30, or 60 minutes. There are different versions of this, so make sure you get the 6 varieties of sound that you like. The SS-2000F and the SS-2000S have the best choices of sound tracks, in my opinion.

Keep away from the SS-2000E if you don't want that annoying Heart Beat!

PLUSES
1-Mine came with a Power Adapter included, so no batteries needed. I give it 4-stars because it does what it's suppose to do, but I can't give it 5-stars because there are a few things that could have made this product better.
2-The repetition of the sound tracks provide a smooth transition from Start-to-Finish and back to Start again. No pauses, no clicks.
3-It's easy to use, just press the button with the sound you want to hear, and it plays.

MINUSES
First of all...
1- I would like to have an Ear Phone Jack, so that there is the option of listening to the sounds privately.
2- I would like some longer tracks. The short tracks put you to sleep, because of the boredom of repetition, however, it would have been more of a pleasure to listen to if each track were 15-seconds in length rather than a mere 3-seconds.
3- My unit didn't look new. It had little scratches and cosmetic imperfections.

Overall it's a really great product and highly recommended. For such a low price you can get a good nights sleep and wake up the next morning feeling well rested. It has a way of bringing on relaxation and removing tension, should have discovered this product sooner.
11 comment| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 29, 2015
Awesome sound machine!

Plug and play! Literally, pull it out of box, plug it in, turn the lower left volume knob to turn it on and continue to turn it to increase volume, press the sound you desire, then press the Timer 1, 2 or 3 times to set the duration of play (if you want no timer just do not press the timer)! That is all you have to do!

Works great when I am with clients. I use it to help create background sound that not only helps calm but also helps drone out hall noise. There is a nice range of volume too.

It comes with a wall plug but you can use batteries as well. Batteries are easy to put in and take out. I use the wall plug but it is great to have a portable option as well.

It has a small footprint and looks stylish. I am very pleased with this devise.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on November 1, 2014
Cheap. We have a 15 mos. who has used this since he was 6 weeks old. Relatively small footprint and not heavy.
Battery life was decent. We used it plugged and unplugged for travel. Takes 4 or 6 AA batteries. Our first model went out after 6 months. We are on our 2nd one and it's starting to flake out on us. HoMedics was excellent in providing us a 2nd one after our first one broke but it is unfortunate that the 2nd one is starting to flake out after 9 months of use. Attached a picture of what the batteries did in the battery compartment. Be careful. These batteries weren't in there for long and not sure why they would have leaked as such. The electrical wiring in the unit does not appear to be very reliable with the dial flaking out and the battery issue.

Pros: Different sounds are nice for variety. Timer is convenient. Power cable is long and light enough for unit to be placed in those higher or lower areas out of the baby's view.
Cons: The volume/power dial is cheaply made and after prolonged use, becomes sensitive. Sometimes you need to apply some pressure to the top of the dial for the unit to turn on. Goes out intermittently, too.
review image
on July 2, 2013
The volume control stopped working after 1.5 months--just outside the window for returning the thing. How convenient. We liked it a lot before the only options for volume were off or fffff.
on February 12, 2014
We bought this unit for our daughters room and it worked great... For a few months. Now it is hard to turn on as if it has a short in the volume button. Also, it has been dying completely in the middle of the night. I do not recommend!