5.0 out of 5 stars Decent oxy-acetylene welding googles, flip up shade
Okay, there are two groups of folks looking at this item, Steampunk costume folks and welders.

For the welders:
- Well built, inexpensive
- Both the clear and shaded glass were flat and well-attached
- The ventilation on the goggles was especially good

For the steampunk folks:
- The googles themselves are rubber-plastic, would...
Published on January 21, 2009 by Michael A. Duvernois

3.0 out of 5 stars Hobart Gas Welding goggles
I recently received my pair after ordering them from the seller 'Bravofun' with free shipping option. Within 3 days of my order, the product arrived with some amount of dirt and dust inside the faceless but that did not bother me much and I am satisfied with this product. Kind of Flimsy

THE PRODUCT HAS NO MARKINGS. NOT EVEN THE ANSI SAFETY STANDARD MARKING. DO...
Published on July 8, 2011 by Nick-VA

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent oxy-acetylene welding googles, flip up shade, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Hobart 770129 Oxy/Acet, Goggle - Flip Front, 50mm Eye Cup Shade 5 (Tools & Home Improvement)

For the welders:
- Well built, inexpensive
- Both the clear and shaded glass were flat and well-attached
- The ventilation on the goggles was especially good

For the steampunk folks:
- The googles themselves are rubber-plastic, would need decoration
- Strap is decidedly modern looking
- There is (safety) text on the lenses
- Look pretty good and are cheap

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits over glasses, shades are replacable!, May 24, 2012
Lenny (FREMONT, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Pros :

Filters are easily removed, and can be replaced with darker filters (e.g. #14 for viewing the sun)
Fits over glasses
Vents (4 of them) to prevent fogging
Flip up design convenient

Cons :

Not very flexible, does not fit well on the sides
Bottom part cuts rather uncomfortably into my cheeks

Long description :

I was very amused to read in the reviews that hardly anyone bought this for eye protection or welding. Most seem to find it a great costume accessory. It does look like a pretty good prop for a mad scientist or steampunk costume. I didn't get it for welding either - I bought it assuming that the filters can be replaced with #14 filters so that they can be used for viewing the sun, and I'm happy to find out my assumption is correct.

The other nice thing about this goggles is that it fits over prescription glasses easily, something I specifically looked for.

The flip up element consists of one plastic lens in front, and the 50mm #5 green glass filter behind it. They're held in place with a plastic ring that screws into a plastic thread to hold them in place. The goggles part is also removable using the same ring attachment, and consists of one plastic lens. There are two notches on the ring for fingerhold when unscrewing / replacing the ring. See the photo (one lens removed) for a better description.

There are two vents above and two below. They're angled to prevent most dust from entering. I'm not sure that makes much of a difference, though, because there are large gaps on the upper left and right corners (near my temples) large enough for me to stick my fingers in easily. I also tried the goggles on while wearing a disposable 3M N95 mask. It fits about as well as when I'm not wearing the mask, and the mask cushions my cheek somewhat, making it actually a little more comfortable.

Which brings me to my next point - I don't see myself wearing this for more than 1/2 hour, as it digs into my cheeks. Field of view is somewhat restricted, though the 50mm lens means that it is quite usable.

Overall, I'd say this is a good buy at the price for either as a costume accessory, for general eye protection, and for viewing the sun if you replace the #5 filter with a #14 (next total eclipse in North America - August 21, 2017!) especially for those who wear prescription glasses. If it had been more comfortable, I'd give it a 5. As it is, I'd give it a 4 for utility and 5 for value.

4.0 out of 5 stars be careful, May 16, 2012
Amazon search directly me here for solar eclipse glasses. This is bad because after a bit of research, it shows that you need at least shades 14 to use it to watch the sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Horrible outfit, August 14, 2010
I got these for my Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog costume and they ROCK.
They cause an indentation on the forehead if you wear them like Dr. Horrible; but Moleskin can solve that problem.
See you at Dragon*Con!

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, comfortable, economical, December 7, 2012
I found these to be worth the price. Heck, for the price, I'm thinking about getting a back-up pair! They're comfortable even when I'm wearing glasses. They feel secure, no slippage. The flip-down lenses are dark enough for oxy welding, but can still be used as sunglasses in a pinch (more on that in a sec)!

The glass in all 4 lenses are heavy-duty. They're all replaceable, which is great for two reasons: the outer lenses will get damaged from sparks etc after a while, and I can get a prescription filled to replace the inner lenses! They're just fine with my glasses on, but I'd rather have one less thing on my face that can fog up.

When my motorcycle helmet's shield had to be replaced, I used these as cycling goggles. They kept the wind (and bugs) out of my eyes. The tint on the flip-down made fine (if oddly green) sunglasses, the fact that they were flip-y was convenient as heck. And some of the looks I got were priceless!

For Steampunks and Horribles: as far as I can tell, these ARE the ones used in Dr. Horrible right down to the funky-patterned elastic (just need a little paint), and can also be modded easily for any Steamy costuming. Get some spraypaint made for plastic from the hardware store, mask the lenses before applying, and voila. The blue part pictured and the black vents are flexible, easy to cut and/or poke holes in to mount decorative hardware. Just remember, once painted or otherwise modded DO NOT USE TO WELD WITH, they are no longer safety goggles, they are an accessory!

Overall, very satisfied, thinking about getting a second pair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for., February 22, 2010
Not what I would consider professional equipment, but it will do for the little oxy-acetylene work I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosplay, June 17, 2014
I bought this from my Doctor Horrible Cosplay. It exactly what I need. I did however had to put a piece of foam in it so it rest on my head more comfortably.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hobart Gas Welding goggles, July 8, 2011

THE PRODUCT HAS NO MARKINGS. NOT EVEN THE ANSI SAFETY STANDARD MARKING. DO NOT USE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN A COSTUME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them., June 24, 2012
I got these for my Dr. Horrible cosplay and they do not disappoint. If color is a problem for you some model paints can help that.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUAHAHAHAHAHA, January 3, 2013
I pretty much exclusively bought these to be part of my Dr. Horrible costume. They are awesome and do the trick!