Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.7 out of 5 stars17,873
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 2, 2011
I have read the first LOTR book a few years ago when I was younger, but I was more into movies than reading at that point in my life. I purchased this kindle version of LOTR ( all 3 books ) and I absolutley love them. This is definitley the best three fantasy books ever written and if you are an avid reader like me, LOTR isnt just a must, its an absolutle mandatory to read.
on January 4, 2013
I love this product. It takes you on an adventure, but the text (pronunciation, knowing what the word means etc.) is not suitable for young children. It is also violent for little children. But, I LOVE IT.
on August 27, 2001
How nice to pick up The Hobbit again as an adult. Even years later, this book is delightful. It's such a pleasure to follow Bilbo and the dwarves to the Lonely Mountain, and it's a pleasure to read some of the other reviewers, kids who've read the story over and over like I did. This is a great edition, the Alan Lee drawings and paintings are gorgeous, and he appeals to the Tolkien-phile with incredible attention to the details of the story. Two quibbles: one map is in the beginning of the book and the other at the end - how odd, it keeps the reader flipping back and forth. Why not just put them both up front together. Second, some pages fell out of my new book even before I'd read them. That's a bit disappointing when you've paid a bit more for the fancy illustrated hardcover volume.
on December 11, 2012
The Kindle version of this wonderful title includes JRRTolkien's drawings of key scenes (Beorn's Hall, the Troll's camp). The text is formatted well, and the book is only a couple dollars. I bought this to refresh my memory before the movie came out, and I was not disappointed.
on December 23, 1998
National Pulic Radio aired this version of the Lord of the Rings when I was about 6 years old and we (shame, shame on us) taped it. I listened to those tapes until they wore out! As a gift, my parents gave me this boxed set a few years ago. I know practically every line and I still cry at the end. It is, in my opinion, the best story ever translated into an audio version. This version is true to the book moreso than the movie or any other audio recording. The characters draw you into the story and you become a part of it by creating your own vision of "Middle Earth" around their voices. Every time I listen to it, I think of home and my family because, for us, it was (and still is) a family activity. This is a book and audio recording every family should own!
on March 5, 2016
I first read this book(s) when I was 8 or 9. Each time I read it I find some new and interesting bit of lore or knowledge. This book is for all ages and all walks of life. Enjoy the story (it is better than the movies), marvel at the poetry and songs. Try to find the hidden bits of mystery and magic. And when you think that you have found everything that there is to find and enjoy, read them again and find that you missed something marvelous. Enjoy them for the years that I have.
on October 23, 2012
I've read this wonderful tale too many times to count over the years. With each reading, I appreciate even more Tolkien's amazing world of language, cultures and geographies, along with his wonderful ability to spin a story. It was convenient to have it in electronic reader form, but I missed the maps from the books. There is only a general map in the front and it doesn't do the job of the maps in the original three book set. Reading Lord of the Rings is like reading a historical account of a great war. Any such account needs maps for reference and context. For that reason, if you want the best enjoyment of this great story, get the printed versions.
The Hobbit is about a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. He goes on an adventure with a wizard and 13 dwarves. He finds a ring and goes to the Lonely Mountain. A person named Bard kills a dragon. They have to fight a war of goblins, elves, humans, dwarves, and more goblins. I will not tell you the rest of it because I don’t want to spoil the end. If you want to find out what happens read this awesome book.
My favorite part of The Hobbit is when the dwarves kill the army and Bilbo goes home with treasure. I like that part because it made me feel good when they won and Bilbo got to go home rich. I also like the goblin tunnels because it is like a mine and there is a lot of fighting. Another part I liked is Mirkwood because there are giant spiders.
I can make a text to text connection to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Both of them have fighting and war.
I recommend this book for advanced second graders because it is hard and it has violence. Now for an adventure!
on December 26, 2015
So worth it and so portable. I have never read this series, until now. I have owned the series several times over the years but could never get very far. I found these simple leather editions are easy to take anywhere and I'm actually getting through them this time. Buy this product. It is well made and sturdy, the only thing I wish it had was a little built in bookmark in each book.
on December 16, 2012
The first time I read The Hobbit was many years ago, and I decided I would like to read again before watching the movIe. I didn't remember much about it except that I quite enjoyed it as a young child. This time I also enjoyed reading it, but to a lesser degree.

Perhaps the best thing about The Hobbit is that it sets the stage of how Bilbo Baggins came to possess the Ring of Power, relating the necessary background for The Lord of the Rings. My main issue with The Hobbit is that it was, as opposed to The Lord of the Rings, specifically written for children. The plot is very predictable and told in a fairly childish manner, and lacks the more mature style of The Lord of the Rings.