5.0 out of 5 stars hard to find
I had a really hard time trying to find planting charcoal for terrariums, and was so pleased when I finally found a decent size bag for purchase on amazon. I literally went all over nyc trying to find this stuff. My terrariums look great!
Published on March 22, 2011 by glitterpony

3.0 out of 5 stars Some dust, some good sized pieces
A little finer and dustier than I'd prefer, but it works. Perhaps it would help if the manufacturers sifted and graded their charcoal. E.g., super fine, fine, medium, and mixed. That would be very helpful!
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to find, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Hoffman 17502 Charcoal Soil Conditioner, 24-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)

5.0 out of 5 stars many uses, good price, March 3, 2011
charwoman (Richmond, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Like the first reviewer, I checked a couple of local outlets before finally ordering this from Amazon. I intended to use it not in soil but to filter water, not for drinking but for bathing and for plant use (both collected rain and city water). I take tub baths and had been looking into chlorine filters for the tub, most of them seeming overpriced. I folded about a cup or so into a bandana and tied it around the tub spout. It took a little adjusting to make sure most of the water ran through it but the usually overchlorinated city water was significantly less chlorinated and did not sting my eyes and nose as it normally does. If I used it for nothing else it would be a good bargain. Going to try making 2-3' hose sections with screen ends when the growing season starts, and using those as a filter, as well as a filter from the downspout to the rain barrels.

A good deal, although I do wish I could have found it in my usual shopping areas. I was surprised there wasn't any horticultural/aquaculture charcoal at the home warehouse store near us, especially considering they sell pond equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars plant charcoal, December 12, 2011
This plant charcoal works very well, keeps my terrarium fresh and keeps plants disease free. A must have for serious horticulturalists

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 25, 2012
I use this under the soil layer in my terrariums. It is awesome! No mold or odor with this stuff in a terrarium. Also small flakes so convenient for situating how you want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for terrariums!, March 6, 2013
I used the charcoal soil for promoting growth and controlling the smell that terrariums may produce due to it's humid nature. I got the idea from Martha Stewart and other DIY terrarium sites. Growth was noticeable within days after the transfer of containers and no smells yet! It's a small bag, but it depends on your mixture of potting soil vs. charcoal soil. Be careful when shoveling or pouring out, especially if used indoors, because it does get dusty.

5.0 out of 5 stars plant-grade charcoal, June 10, 2008
product is great! Size of particles fit nicely in potted houseplant container. Searched many places before turning to the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for orchids!, March 21, 2013
Alice Zindagi (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
I use this stuff in my own custom orchid mix. I do two parts of orchid bark, one part moss, one part charcoal. The orchids seem to love it. I live in a really humid area and the charcoal helps to absorb any toxins or bacteria gathering on my orchid roots. It's a MUST for people who grow Phals.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the trick., February 11, 2013
Oakie (HONOLULU, HI, US) - See all my reviews
It's charcoal. It does what it is supposed to do, sweetens the soil. The chip sizes are the right size for small and large pots and if the plant is already potted,I just sprinkle it on the top of the soil and when you water, the dust will trickle on down. It is well packaged in a re-sealable heavy plastic bag so there is no dust everywhere. When repotting, I rinse the dust out with cool water through a sieve, drain well and proceed with the potting. I've used it for years and this is a favorite brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, January 5, 2013
These are really big bags. I purchased two but only needed about 1/2 of one bag. Volume wise I would say it is about a grocery bag full. This was significanty less expensive then my local garden store (which is why I bought 2 bags, at the price I had thought it would be less product)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, May 10, 2012
GREAT PRODUCT FOR TERRARIUMS, GARDENING AND PROJECTS, ETC.. VERY HARD TO FIND IN STORES, THANKFULLY AMAZON CARRIES IT! WHAT DO THEY NOT CARRY?

Hoffman 17502 Charcoal Soil Conditioner, 24-Ounce