5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for 9+ month old and his older friends and family
I got the Hohner xylophone/glockenspiel based on previous reviews about this being one full octave (C-major) and true to pitch. The other ones seemed too hokey in comparison. Overall, I am glad I got it. The previous reviewers were right to rave about this toy!

Published on July 14, 2011 by j.w.w.

2.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS for young babies
Published on April 10, 2010 by NY Mama

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for 9+ month old and his older friends and family, July 14, 2011
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)

Our baby has enjoyed hearing the glockenspiel and banging on the notes. So have his slightly older friends (aged 11 months to 2 years) and much, much older parents. The notes don't sound tinny and annoying (at least not to me); they sound more like bells. Our baby also thinks the yellow plastic safety mallet is good for teething on. If he isn't left alone with this mallet, I don't worry about him gagging on it. (It's ~7 inches long).

Sometimes when he gets a little shrieky, the only thing the baby can hear above his own voice is the crystal-clear notes of this glockenspiel. He often stops mid-shriek as we gently brush the mallet across the keys, back and forth. The effect is almost as magical when we use our thumbnail instead of the mallet.

To help everyone identify the notes, the keys are color coded and engraved. For example, the "D" key is yellow and has a capital "D" engraved. Above each key is sol-fa syllable stamped into the blue plastic frame. (Just above the dark blue "C" key is "Do"; above the yellow "D" key is "Re", etc.)

Hohner includes a little sheet music with this glockenspiel, for people who can't rattle off one-octave tunes in C major. The four songs provided are "Little Jonathan", "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", "Beethoven's 9th Symphony" and "Jingle Bells". For those who need a little help with reading sheet music, the printed music notes' colors correspond to the colors of the keys on the glockenspiel. Our baby is fine with hearing us practice our scales, but I've been getting bored with the four-song set. A quick Google search for one-octave tunes and songs did offer some suggestions. There was mention of "Yellow Submarine". It comes close, but is one note beyond the reach of this little glockenspiel. Same goes for "You Are My Sunshine". "Do Re Mi" and "Freres Jacques" work well without much modification. If more one-octave melodies are needed, there is at least one book on the market, such as _Twenty-four Easy-to-Play One-Octave Melodies_.

This toy was made in Israel. Hohner advertises this toy as being free of lead, PVC, BPA, phthalates, and nitrosamine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach Your Baby Music With This Glockenspiel!, June 21, 2010
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
We bought this for our 8-mo old baby and she absolutely lights up whenever we get it out. She figured out quite quickly how to hold the mallet and bangs on the notes to make sounds. It's wonderful that it has a full octave that is musically correct. You can play lots of different songs to demonstrate for your baby--Mary Had a Little Lamb, Twinkle Little Star, Frere Jacques, Do re me, etc., and it comes with a few songs to play, too. Very durable--we had a 3-year-old over who was very hard on it, and it stood up to his ambitious banging!

The mallet also attaches to the back so you won't lose it. Generally, just a wonderful introduction to music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super tone and durability, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
Finally decided on this after trying out lots of similar items in stores and finding they sounded off and annoying. Our 7-month old loves this, but we keep the long, skinny mallet away from him for now. He has fun pounding on it with a teether or a link. The keys are nicely balanced, it really sounds lovely and can't wait to see him figuring out different sounds and colors.

UPDATE: Baby's now 13 months old. Still loves this. It has stayed tuned and sounds sweet despite his ever stronger BANGING! Can't imagine the plastic ones doing that. Still have the original mallet put away, but we have wooden blocks that sound just as great when banged against these keys. He bangs so hard sometimes that the pounding leaves color on the xylophone keys, but they're finely balanced and sound just like new.

5.0 out of 5 stars On pitch!, February 12, 2010
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
So glad to have finally found a xylophone with correct pitch! Would love it even more with two mallets.

5.0 out of 5 stars On pitch, excellent quality, what else can you ask for?, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
Pro:
1. On pitch, just like a real musical instrument, while it's safe for kids.
2. There's a place for the mallet when you turn the xylophone around - it holds it nicely. Also, it comes with a little carrying bag, with velcro and handles on top. Very easy to carry.
3. There's a little music book with 4 songs that's playable on the xylophone - Little Jonathan, Old McDonald Had a Farm, Beethoven's 9th Symphony, and Jingle Bells.
4. Excellent quality. Made in Israel.
5. Bought this for my baby who's 7 months old, clearly too advanced for her (the packaging said for 12mo. and up) but she loves teething on the mallet for now.

Con:

Only con I've found so far is that the mallet is plastic, no rubber on it so that when you use it on the xylophone, it's hard to produce a clear, crisp sound.

2.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS for young babies, April 10, 2010
In many ways this is a great toy, we like the sound, weight, bright colours BUT the mallet is VERY DANGEROUS for small babies, especially those teething who will stick everything in their mouths. Although the edges are rounded that will not prevent the ends getting STUCK in your baby's mouth. While happily playing and chewing my nine month old got the end of the mallet JAMMED between the roof and bottom of his mouth. Horrible experience, fortunately he was fine but it could easily have become a real nightmare. DO NOT GIVE THE MALLET TO BABIES. Save this toy for when chewing and exploring with the mouth are long over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality xylophone, June 27, 2010
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
We bought this xylophone for our 1-year-old granddaughter, who enjoys banging on different objects to hear the noise each of them makes. I looked locally, but all I could find were xylophones for older children. She loves it. But, better yet, the tone is so clear, it makes an enjoyable sound when played and is easy on the ears. Since she has only had it a short while, I can only guess as to its long-term durability, although it seems quite sturdy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great... but too loud at 95+ dB and can damage hearing!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
This is a great sounding xylophone with clear notes. Build quality is excellent. However, we were disappointed with the weighting of the mallet that comes with it. With a fairly large weight at the end, it's very easy for our 2 year old to bang the xylophone pretty hard making it very loud.

We tested it using a couple of SPL meters and noticed that most keys got to around 85 dB just at about 1 feet away. The B key even hits over 95 dB! That's much too loud for a child to be hearing up close and kids shouldn't be exposed to that level of sound for very long or it will damage their hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for a starter instrument, December 28, 2009
After lots of searching I settled on this model for my 10 month old boy. He's still a little young for this but will grow into it. This is the perfect design for young kids and is well made - in Israel. The pitch is excellent and the design is sturdy. Rounded edges are nice and safe and the kid can't pry off any of the notes. It gets dropped a lot. The mallot is just what you want too, as they will stick it in their mouth and run around with it, so you don't want the standard stick. Worth the exra money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel (Baby Product)
I bought this item for my 1 year old son. He absolutely loves it. I agree with the other reviewers that the sound quality is nice and bright. I love the holder on the back for the mallet. Great purchase. I would have given it five stars, but some of the keys have scratched already (one month). Still highly recommended for curious toddlers!

Hohner Kids HMX3008B Glockenspiel