5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, one octave lower than usual, November 22, 2011
John Kleinjans (SF Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hohner 364 24 Marine Band 12 Hole Harmonica (Key of C)
I bought one of these because I wanted a low C diatonic harmonica and I wasn't ready to spring $100 for a Seydel. This thing is lots of fun! It is, in fact, tuned one octave lower than a normal diatonic harp, as I had hoped when I bought it. So you can just go ahead and play everything you already know, but it comes out an octave lower.

With 12 holes, it's longer than a normal harp -- and fatter, too, probably to provide more room inside the case for the longer reeds to swing. Hard to cup in your hands, like you would a 10-hole. The case feels a bit tinny because there are no braces inside to support it. So, I guess, like, don't sit on it.

This thing has the standard incomplete low register (missing the F and A notes, but one octave lower), two *complete* octaves, plus and four extra notes at the high end. Playing in the "normal" register is weird, because the draw notes are lower than the blow notes in the same hole -- it's like at the high end of a normal harp. And the high B note it to the *right* of the highest C note. So, if you want to play there, practice and get used to it. Or play a regular harp for that range.

Like I said, lots of fun. Good for singing, because it plays the same notes that you sing, in the same octave -- not the same notes but an octave higher. But, like, you should alternate singing and playing -- don't try to sing and play at the same time. But you knew that.

I play mostly straight harp ("cross harp in the first position"), so I can't testify how it works for blues in that very low register. It seems to respond a bit slower than regular harmonicas, so it might not work so well for some of those fast riffs. But I think I may massage the reeds a little -- carefully -- and see what comes of that.

That 3 draw is a tough bend, to get the A and Bb notes. It's like weight training for the lungs. Not necessarily a bad thing. Forces you to work on technique.

If you're looking for a low C diatonic harmonica, there aren't many out there. This one's a Marine Band, from Hohner. It works fine. All the notes are there. It's about as in tune as harmonicas get. Good volume. Nice tone. At around $50, it could keep you entertained for quite a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hohner 364 harmonica, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Hohner 364 24 Marine Band 12 Hole Harmonica (Key of C)
It has a pleasant, low tone C sound which blends well a band , or solo performances. I have many harmonicas, but this is my number 1, as far as doing a solo gig.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elated and dissappointed, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Hohner 364 24 Marine Band 12 Hole Harmonica (Key of C)
Last October I purchased this harmonuca in order to reach some heretofore unreachable notes at the lower end. I was very pleased with the instrument to do that...however, this June I purchased an identical Hohner 364 24 12 hole Marine band harp for my playing partner and was dissappointed that the notes of each instrument at the lower end were not the same and that the newer instrument left chunks of varnish (paint?) in his mouth after playing.
Is there any way Hohner can make this right? I also own 3 Hohner chromatic harmonicas and I would like to continue to brag about Hohner's dependability and craftsmanship.
Please advise,