5.0 out of 5 stars Sound is best of any Hohner chromatic I have played
Published on August 20, 2004 by Syd Logan

1.0 out of 5 stars The six hole is doesn't make sound
The low Fa is hard to make the sound. At first I supposed it was just because the new instrument always need a time to let it become the best status. However after several month later, problem is still there. This hole just like some thing stuck in it. It is the diaphragm's problem. I'm not sure I can fix it by myself.

And unfortunately I missed the return...
Published 5 months ago by Ming Yue

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound is best of any Hohner chromatic I have played, August 20, 2004
Syd Logan (Carlsbad, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
The range on this harp dips down one octave below middle C, which is fairly unique and adds to the overall possibilities of this instrument. Over the years, I have played several of the Hohner Chromatics and while its size causes this chromatic to be a bit more difficult to handle compared to a 12 hole like the Super Chromonica or the CX-12, my feeling is the quality of the sound compared to either and makes up for it in spades (and really, it's just a matter of getting used to the size). I think if I had one chromatic to own, this would be the one.

Note the holes are round, not square like on the 260 and 270. For some, this will mean more comfort. For me, well, I tend to agree, but for the most part, what round holes seem to imply with Hohner at least is the quality (and price) is going to be a bit higher. But that is just my experience with the 270, CX-12, Super 64, and Super Chromonica Deluxe (a higher quality version of the 270).

The other thing to comment on is the slide. It's really good (far better than the CX-12), but I actually get better speed with a good old 270 or Super Chromonica Deluxe. Maybe its because the slide is a bit longer because of the additional 4 holes. It is fast, never sticks, and doesn't make much noise. Still, I would predict any of you upgrading from a Super Chromonica will have to get used to the change, it won't be the same.

If you are a beginner, start out with the 270, it's a great value and it served me well for years. But if you are looking to step up, and can afford the price, I think this harp is well worth looking into.

Update: see also my review of the Suzuki Chromatix SCX-48 12 Hole Chromatic Harmonica, Key of C -- first impression is it has the same higher quality, and while it is only 12 holes, it is also far less expensive that a Super Chromonica Deluxe (price is about the same as the 270)! In fact, it feels and sounds like I am just playing a smaller version of the Super 64, which may make it the harmonica of choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good harmonica but takes in a lot of air, February 8, 2006
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
The sound of this harmonica is very good. The slider is also very smooth. However, one will take time to adjust to this model specially if you are moving from diatonic harmonicas. But once you get used it, it is a pleasure to play this harmonica. One thing that I didn't like about this harmonica is, it takes in a lot of air to play notes (I think it is a fault in my instrument, there is an air leakage) Please ensure that this fault is not there in the harmonica you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOT of meat in this tin sandwich!, May 19, 2005
Mark (Prospect Park, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
To quote that great American Keanu Reeves: "Whoa."

It's a real handful. As a usual player of the Super Chromonica 270, I can say those four extra holes really add heft. The sound is very sweet and mellow, but it does take some wind to play. That 1 blow sounds like a blast from a truck's airhorn! What a powerful sound!

The action on the button sticks from time to time, but other than that, this is the last harmonica you'll ever need.

4.0 out of 5 stars experience after a few years: a great instrument that requires a little maintenance, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
After reading the reviews here I thought I would share my thoughts on my Super 64, now a few years old.

I am now able to get a warm or mellow sound after years of practice. I find this has more to do with my technique than with the instrument itself. Certain notes (especially low notes) require more breath support. Low draw notes require practice and much breath support.

A previous reviewer complained about rattles and pops. From my research, all chromatic harmonicas that use wind savers will have these issues. The wind savers require maintenance. Yes, this is one major annoyannce of owning a chromatic harmonica. Diatonic harmonica owners are spoiled in comparison. Here is how I clean the windsavers when I start to hear an air leak. Pop off the top and bottom plates. Then separate the top and bottom of each wind saver with a mini flat-head screw driver. A dab of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip can be used to clean any moisture that accumulates between the two halves of each wind saver. The frequency of this maintenance depends on how often I practice and the humidity. My windsavers have not fallen off yet. After cleaning, every note plays fine with no rattling or popping. I have also discovered that a rattle or pop will often go away once the harmonica has "warmed up" with several minutes of playing. Residue from yesterday's practice session can cause windsavers to stick together, and a little playing will often break through the residue.

What I love best about this instrument is the feel of the mouthpeice. Hard to explain, but after using fairly inexpensive diatonic harmonicas, moving to this one just felt ten times more comfortable, easier to tongue block, and easier to hit the right notes. The high price of the instrument is justified by a very nice feeling mouth piece.

The slide works well. Tightening or loosening the two screws that hold it in place can adjust how smoothly it slides. I have not had any problems.

A previous reviewer complained of a lack of replacement parts. A couple years ago, this harmonica took a bad fall and one of the bolts that olds the top and bottom cover plates broke. I thought the harmonica was doomed, as this part is not listed on the Hohner website.

Luckily, there is a great repair center in Canada:
Wilson Music Services
Jeff Wilson
P.O. Box 330
Newmarket, ON L3Y 4X7 Canada
Telephone/Fax: 905-853-5082
Email: dr.harp@rogers.com

*This repair center is listed on the official Hohner website for service/repair in Canada.

They sent me the replacement part for basically a couple of bucks. Contact them if you want replacement windsavers.

This instrument continues to challenge me to develop my technique and learn new music. The extended low range and silver mouthpiece are the two things I like most about this harmonica. This instrument requires maintenance as any/all chromatic harmonicas. But I still highly recommend this harmonica for anyone looking for a great sounding, great feeling 16 hole chromatic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hohner Super 64 -- A Love Story, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
Having enjoyed my Hohner Chrometta 12 for many years (so much fun with YouTube music videos and backs (like karaoke), I wanted an extra octave to play with. This beautiful instrument is everything I had hoped it would be. The deep richness of tones with the Super 64 is really a delight. The transition from the Chrometta 12 seemed uncomfortable at first (like the stiffness of a new pair of shoes). But after a couple of weeks of playing it daily, I fell in love with the Super 64. This instrument is truly designed for expression, regardless of the type of music being played (and I have an eclectic taste in music). The Hohner Super 64 is an example of fine German craftsmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the Blues Chromatics, November 25, 2009
Micky "Mack" (Salt Lake City, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
I love this harmonica. Through a bullet mic and a tube amp this harmonica sounds spectacular! It sounds fine without any amplification as well. I wish the price would come down some, but it is a solid, well built instrument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great harmonica!, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
I love this harmonica. Great sound and easy to play.

The slide is easy to clean (take the two screws off of the mouthpiece), and I've found that's what I notice getting dirty/sticky before anything else. Regular cleanings keeps it from sticking. Chromatics will require more air to play than diatonics, so practice your breathing techniques instead of getting frustrated at the harmonica.

This one has 4 full octaves starting at C below middle C. The slide raises each note by a half step, which gives you all of your sharps/flats. The holes are numbered 1-4 for the low octave, then 1-12 for the other 3 octaves. Hole 5 corresponds to hole 4 on a C diatonic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
Sounds are good and the membrane design reduces the chance of sticking reeds.. But the mouthpiece is not as smooth as SCX 64. The design of the front cover is ugly but it doesn't matter if you just care for the sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cadillac of all Harmonicas, September 28, 2010
Juan R. Gomez (Puerto Rico, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
This is an outstanding instrument. Perfect sound and big in size (it requires big hands).
Impressive crafmanship and attention to detail. Buy it, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hohner Super 64 Chromonica Key of C, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C (Electronics)
Bought it, received it, like a lot. The highest hole doesn't play well, I think this is because of an air leak, I don't know, it works some of the time. Took it aprt and put it back together again to no avail, still acts the same. As for the rest of the harp, A+. But because of the 16th hole being tempermental, I have to give it 4 stars.

Hohner Super 64 Chromonica, Key of C