Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 28, 2012
While this paperback book is very nicely illustrated with a sampling of Hokusai's work and a brief outline (7 pages) of Hokusai's life (and worth the Barnes & Noble retail price), it is not a paperback edition of the hardbound book, and should not be listed as such. The hardbound book is 288 pages and this paperback is 93 pages.
on December 21, 2010
Hokusai (pronounced with a silent U) lived from 1760 to 1849. A prolific artist, he worked in a number of different media including woodblock prints and painting on silk. An astute and successful businessman, he was known by 30 different names during his career. His most famous work is the "Great Wave off Kanawaga", a woodblock print that is part of his renowned series, the "Thirty Six Views of Mount Fuji".

This large and weighty volume gives a luxurious and comprehensive overview of Hokusai's life and artistic output. Matthi Forer, an expert on the artist, writes lucidly and informatively about his subject. I suspect the primary attraction for many would be the exceptionally realistic quality of the large sized photographic reproductions. As someone unfamiliar with this artist, I was thrilled by the richness, inventiveness and variety of Hosukai's work.

The general printing standard (sourced from Malaysia) is very high, with the use of very good paper. The pages are folded as is the custom in older Japanese publications. A sensual treat from Prestel and highly recommended.
on April 23, 2011
I purchased this book as a 50th birthday present for my partner... he loved it, I love it, and many people who have flicked through it love it, its production value is fabulous in that it tries to reproduce the images as closely as possible to how they would look in real life by making sure ink and paper replicate it as far as is possible. Also it is beautifully bound. Its extremely good value was an added bonus. I would highly recommend this book.
on January 27, 2014
It is a good reference, a great collection of Hokusai's block prints, paintings, and drawings with detailed explications on each one. I particularly like the oversize pages that allow for larger prints and greater details. The colors are fresh and clear, and the paintings don't lose the light transparency between ink and washes. This book is a labor of love. You will very soon forget the cost. I have.
on February 5, 2011
I purchased this book as a Christmas present for my wife who has a love for Japanese prints. It definitely hit the mark as her favorite gift. (Sorry, kids!)

I would echo Mr Zetler's review in every way. The richness of presentation of Hokusai's works is almost organic. One is drawn into the pages. Even the smell of the volume is delicious.

The copy of the book which we received was perfect, and it had no registration faults. It may be that Mr Fallat's copy had a defect that was unique to it. However, I would suggest that a purchaser inspect a newly-received copy to make sure it is perfect.

The wider, oversized prints are, indeed, split in the center in order to present the full work for enjoyment. At first I was turned off by this, but my wife felt that this does not detract from the print. I would have preferred those prints to be presented on a page which could be unfolded for viewing, but my bride felt that the constant unfolding and folding of the pages would eventuate in their being torn. She knows better than I. I do feel that a choice was made by Prestel, and this book is so beautiful that I believe they decided correctly.

This is an expensive book, but its quality is so high that it is a bargain.
on November 24, 2015
Gorgeous larger than life reproductions of Hokusai's work and incredibly scholarship make this book a treasure. The exceptionally large format is a bit unweildy, but allows for reproductions of prints in great detail, and more than compensate for the cumbersome size.
on August 1, 2014
his book is Wonderful ! Everything I adore about Japanese prints is in this book. If you want a book to learn to draw these prints and try your own hand at how good you can become.. This is THE book to have. Hokusai (U is silent) is the way to go for me. I only wish I had known about this book before I spent time and money collecting a dozen others. It's all here for me. It's a paperback and opens perfectly so as to allow you to trace and learn.
on August 23, 2015

Villages eternal May.
Ukiyo-e beginning.
Methods and manners.
And refined lines.
And colors of star fields.
Actors talents.
Rose and yellow color.
Japan quest.
Seals are etching.
A swift-world.
In the development of sailing.
And ancient past.
As is the way of singing.
Kabuki theater.
You planted a lot.
After all, we are always sensational.
Beautiful world away.
Gallery!
on December 27, 2010
This collection of Hokusai's life's work provided the introduction I desired; however, there is a major error in production of full page plate 136 resulting in a page protruding, on a diagonal, one inch outside the book's cover.
Beautiful art, quality paper and binding.