Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hold Up the Sky
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 22, 2010
I have read many of Patricia Sprinkle's books, and this is my favorite. It is rare that a book makes me cry and laugh, but this one did. These wonderful women and their friends and family became real to me as I read. As with the other reviews, I didn't want this book to end, and I hope we get to meet the characters again.
on June 13, 2011
I loved this book! I felt like I really got to know and understand the characters, which the author developed with care. This book is about those complicated, wonderful, blessed, painful relationships we have with our sisters.I was sad when the book ended, and even though the ending was a bit predictable, it felt comfortable as an old quilt.
on February 27, 2013
This is a truly Southern story of women and the way they handle the burdens and blessings life has dealt them. It is also a story of friendship among women. Book got a little 'preachy' at times but never overstepped. The lives of these women, their families and a summer of dreadful drought kept my attention to the final page. Then I had to re-read the first chapter to get the meaning of all the different tapestry threads woven throughout the book.
on April 21, 2010
This is the first Patricia Sprinkle book I have read and I loved it! She is a great storyteller and you come to love and admire her characters....only problem with the book is that it ended!! I will definitely read more of her work.
on September 27, 2012
Exciting events in Hold Up the Sky will keep readers wanting more of this story and more from author, Patricia Sprinkle.

Three ordinary Southern women and a Hispanic immigrant face multiple problems. Eventually they must work together canning vegetables and spend the time quarrelling. Then one of them honestly shares the truth about her situation. The others follow with their stories and all realize they've misjudged each other. They weep together and become supportive friends.

This well-written, intriguing story portrays independent women with immense problems who find that sharing makes life so much better. The youngest woman searches for a husband who unexpectedly abandoned her and their child. She solves his murder and finds love and her dream future. Two proud women have faced divorce and abuse. The other one knows she may die, but continues to help others. Hold Up the Sky proves that women are strong, caring and wise. A GOOD read.
on March 3, 2011
This book is one of the best that I have read this year. The author portrays four women in crises, and they all come together for each other. Each woman has her own problems, but finds the important things in life.
This is a book that any woman can relate too, because our lives are not perfect, and problems do come into play. Having others to share with you and be there for you, even though they are working on their own situations, is a blessing.
This book should be made into a movie. Women would not only relate to the story, but would learn some important lessons that life does change, but there are solutions.
on February 11, 2016
I borrowed this one from the library and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me awhile to understand the two main characters--I misjudged them in the beginning. By the middle of the book, I was on their side and loved them by the end. There was plenty of heartache to deal with, but, that's real life. I was definitely smiling by the end and came to identify in some ways with all four of the ladies (the central characters). The setting is in my home state and I had no trouble picturing the scenes. I recommend the book.
on February 13, 2012
The first part of this book, in which you're getting to know the different characters, seems a bit slow, but don't be fooled by that. By the time they're canning things, you can't put it down.

I find this book to be really inspiring, in two ways. The first is Mamie's "God's tapestry" explanation of things. Dark threads and light ones mingling make the overall picture. It a very good analogy for how He deals with us.

Also, I think it's inspiring in the way that it deals with the strength that women often don't know that they have. Ms Sprinkle shows very clearly that we can choose to feel sorry for ourselves if things aren't perfect or we can choose to "hold up the sky".

I've given copies to a lot of people, and I really recommend this as a gift for women. (Not meaning to sound sexist- I just haven't a clue what the male take on it would be. :)

If you've read any of my other reviews, you know I don't give 5 stars lightly, but Hold Up the Sky deserves every one of them.
on February 5, 2013
This was a story with many layers and some of the layers I could take to task in my own life. I read it in two bedtime reading sessions and couldn't put it down. I hope other readers will enjoy it as much as I did.
on February 7, 2014
I love southern writers . Patricia Sprinkle is now at the top of my list of "must reads". Love her references to Georgia's Cherokee Indians. Her people are my people. I see the faces of my southern family and friends in her characters.