Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Holding Your Ground: Preparing for Defense if it All Falls Apart
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on October 20, 2012
I've been a Preppie - OK half a Preppie - for some time now.
Living in South Africa, our conditions, the make-up of the potential raiders including their possible weapons and mode of attack, differs somewhat from what you are to encounter in the 'States.
Nevertheless, I found the basic theory sound, and most of the tactics very applicable with minor adaptions to suit our local circumstances.
What I did like a lot, was the thorough explanations given for doing things in a certain way.
Initially I expected to see some more info on other matters like food, and other things to be stocked, but then there are half a zillion good books and sites that cover that part of the SHTF scenario.
All in all a very thought provoking book that make you see your defense plans in a different light.
on July 16, 2013
Now most nights/evenings I take some time to myself. Recently I took the time to catch up on some reading and to break in a few new books I had purchased from Amazon, so here is my review of the few books I recently read.

The two books I have read were by Joe Nobody, and were titled “Without Rule of Law”, and “Holding Their Own”. Without Rule of Law is more of manual that doesn’t tell you how to do anything. Now that’s not saying it’s a bad book, that is actually not a criticism to the book at all. Buts its not meant to teach you how to perform any of the actions covered, what it does do is get you thinking about different things you could do, what could keep you and your family alive, what gear would be useful and why, and what strategies might be best during a time (or time line as Joe Nobody covers in his book time and time again) of true emergency. Now the author does believe in raiding areas with supplies if needed to keep your family alive, and some people may find that upsetting, but I believe it has its place and I applaud his writing and input on the subject, I know he really opened my yes to a few subjects that I was oblivious to. Overall, a good book and worth the money to read just to broaden your horizons. The book is 190pgs and ends with an excerpt from the book “The TEOTWAWKI Tuxedo” which I am interested in reading. Note, if your active or prior military your not going to gain allot from this book, but you may pick up a few things that could be very helpful. The second book called holding their ground is a survival fiction story. And while similar in writing as “Patriots” is approached by a different angle being set in the Texas city then later the desert country. Again, getting you thinking. It’s a 318 pg book, and is written in a way that even by the end of the book the couple is not back to normal yet. So its keeps you waiting to buy the next book. But it’s written in a way that simulates a real relationship between the main characters that are married. Don’t really see this allot, and it really brought me into the book and made me laugh out loud on several occasions, and very realistic. If you were to ask me which book I had to choose between the two, I would say read this one. Cause the tactics the author describes in the first book I mentioned, are used in the second. So you can actually read Holding their own and already gain what’s in Without rule of law. But there are still things in the second book that are not covered in the second, so choice is up to you.
on December 5, 2011
This book was purchased with the intent of giving me additional ideas on how to get through the possible difficult times facing us. Knowing how to utilize your assets and make them work without destroying your property or making yourself standout to others is an important concept. This book accomplished that very well. The author, Joe Nobody, has background and skills that come out immediately and hold your interest as well as teaching you what to do, when to do it and how it would work. The knowledge and skills he helps you build is a tool in the box when you need it.
The only reason I didn't give five stars is that he tells you what needs to be done on your house but not nearly enough details on how to do it. He gives examples but without specifics. That may be my shortcoming but I'll bet I'm not alone. Otherwise, it's on my high recommend list to people who want to understand and master the techniques of surviving in our potential future.
on December 7, 2014
This book goes into a lot of detail, its a long read you will need to do a little math. it gave me fdifferent look at my current situation and how to be prepared with knowledge that you may not find in any other book. This book is not a sit down and read in 1 night like most of them you really need to think for your self but its worth the time invested.
on February 10, 2013
The author does a very good job explaining his methods and ideas in easy to understand easy to follow laymen terms. The only thing I have found that I don't really care for in Mr. Nobody's books is his constant reference to the use of very high dollar products, like night vision rifle scopes and things of that nature. I've never been a fan of throwing $ at a problem to try to solve. If you can get past that aspect the rest is what I would call quality information.
on November 1, 2011
Pro: Well thought out, detailed and systematic approach to home defense in situations ranging from a status quo environment up to major societal upheaval. While any reader might quibble with the individual elements or scores assigned, the value of this book is in its forcing you to quantify where your home security plan's strengths and weaknesses are. As Eisenhower said, "Our plans will almost always be worthless in combat, but the process of *having* planned is invaluable."

Con: Terrible copyediting - spelling and grammar mistakes abound. Lots of white space, book could have been 20 pages shorter with more efficient page layout, though it does allow ample space for marginal notes.
on March 4, 2013
this book makes you rethink your plans for prepping and any other plans you may have. the way its written makes it an easy read.
the dirty tricks thats used in here will realy make you think, some almost put me in a panic. the guerrilla warfare and the snaching of children children are ruthless, scary stuff. hope it does not come down to that
on December 19, 2012
Good book, enjoyable to read, offers many good suggestions - not the kind that require you to spend tons of money or try to sell something, just good common sense ideas that you may not have considered.
on March 2, 2013
This book has a cool little work sheet if you are an analytical person like me. It helps you get your mind right about what you are doing. I like his philosophy and I believe he is approaching the whole idea correctly.
on May 28, 2012
Good review of my military training. Made me start looking at my location in a realistic manner. Also realizing the weakness of this location and the need to have a bug out plan. Gave me an idea how long and under what conditions staying is feasible. I heard an interview with this author on The Survival Podcast. I recently ordered 3 more of the author's books. Cant wait till they get here!!!