Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM

Color: Cyan|Style: Holga 135|Change
Price:$29.30 - $69.99

on October 29, 2010
I've been shooting with my DSLR for a while now, and I never really had a use for film cameras until I got intrigued by the toy camera phenomenon that's been sweeping the nation. I thought about getting the Holga 120, but after doing extensive research on the cost of developing 120 film in my area (about $12 per roll, which has 12-16 exposures), I decided to go with the 35mm camera, where if I'm using Snapfish, i can get the whole roll developed for $3-5 for 36 exposures.

I must say, the Holga 135BC is a fun little camera! I took it on a trip to the mountains and got some great shots of the fall foliage. The vignetting (black corners) came out on about half the pictures; some of them came out without much vignetting at all, which was surprising. There haven't been any light leaks, which may disappoint some users, but I know there are some mods out there (involving drilling holes into the side of the body) to create that effect if you wish. Double exposures are quite easy to do. I recommend using ISO400 speed film for best effects, especially when you're just beginning. The aperture is pretty much set at something like f8 and the shutter speed is around 1/100 (though this can vary), so most indoor pictures and even outdoor pictures in overcast lighting came out dark and dismal. I kind of wish I had bought the one that comes with a flash unit (holga 15b) but I'm gonna purchase that separately. The ones I took in sunlight are great though, so i recommend taking your Holga outside on a pretty day for your first roll. As for loading and unloading the film, it's quite easy to do. Just remember to press the film release button on the bottom of the camera before you rewind your film to avoid stretching or ripping apart your exposed film.

Overall, i think that the Holga 135BC is a wonderful little camera, great for those of us trying out a plastic camera for the first time, and a great attention-getter in public. I would definitely recommend it!
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
My experience with Holga cameras started with the 120N model, which is the medium format film equivalent of this camera. I absolutely love the 120N; I take it everywhere along with my digital camera and tend to get my best photos with it. I decided a year ago to try out the Holga 135. After many rolls shot, developed, and processed by me, it has consistently failed to live up to expectations.

The main problem with this camera is it's lens is too narrow. The classic Holga 120 has a fairly wide angle lens, but the narrow 135 captures only a fraction of a person's view compared to the 120 model. For this type of camera, which has almost no settings to begin with, a wide angle lens is more desirable- it's easier to either take a few steps forward or just crop the final image with a wider lens than having to take 50 steps back to try to cram all your surroundings within the narrow frame. There is a Holga Wide Angle Lens Adapter that you can buy and attach to the 135, but it causes too much distortion for my tastes.

The other issue is the 35mm film. The 120N takes medium format film, which has about 4-5 times the surface area as 35mm. So even though the lens is plastic, because the negatives are so huge, most photos (properly focused) come out very sharp and crisp in the center of the frame with the classic vignetting and blur toward the edges. The 135 produces much smaller 35mm negatives. As a result, pretty much all the photos look pretty dull from edge to edge, lacking any sort of crispness whatsoever. Because of how the 135 is designed, there is no natural vignetting and no light leaks (if you're into that).

If you're considering trying out a Holga, I'd highly recommend the 120 model. If the size and scarcity of the film intimidates you, rest assured that it is really easy to learn how to develop black and white film yourself in your own bathroom, or you can just drop the rolls off at Walmart and get back prints in 2 weeks. The 120 and the 135 are completely different cameras, and the 35mm version unfortunately does not produce any of the desirable "Holga-ness" that you may expect.
on March 18, 2011
There are lots of mentions of the technical specs and the vignettes and stuff so I'm not going to go deep into it. But I will say the bent corners does work. I have yet to experience many light leaks with this camera. But being a simple and fully analog camera, modifications and fixes are easily done at home. A warning though: the 135 is not as easy to modify and disassemble as the 120.

Many digital buffs like to say there's no point in the inconvenience of film and hard-to-control cameras like this when things like vignetting, grain, and blur can easily be done digitally. All I can do is shake my head and say "you miss the point entirely" to them. First off, the joy of the analog process is a factor. Now I'm sure others will want more solid reasons. Alright. Speed. There are no on and off switches. Photographic moments can be fleeting. I can't tell you how many moments I missed by trying to pull out my camera from my bag, or waiting for it to turn on. With this nifty guy you just lift it up and click the shutter. It's as fast as your hands will go. In addition the lack of controls not only puts your focus on the subject rather than settings, you come to expect "imperfect" shots anyway so once you understand the basics of using the camera you can take shots really fast and not mind what simple settings there are. Another big plus, portability. You may hesitate to bring an expensive DSLR out to a demanding hike or rough neighborhood. But a sub-$50 camera not so much. Also if you're a fan of candid shots, people are less intimidated having this pointed at them than a digital "real" camera. The clumsy clack sound the shutter makes will also alert them far less.

If you are the adventurous types, total unpredictability is a pro. As an iPhone user I have plastic camera simulation apps. It's not the same. You look at it and select and shake for a different effect and it's like photoshop on auto. Plus, no film wind techniques and light leaks, no personal interior mods or character unique to your own camera. The grain achieved digitally doesn't even match the warm analog grain and blur. Another thing usually seen as a disadvantage is development time. All I will say on that is the feeling of waiting for your film to develop, it's like Christmas presents. It all really makes photography exciting again. This is further heightened if you develop your own film. At that point you're involved intimately in every step of the process of making the image, so when you come out with something, it's just... Special.

All in all I highly recommend this fun little camera if you want to break away from stale digital perfection for living, dynamic shots you can inject your own character into. You may have a little trouble controlling it at first so don't use your first roll on your grand vacations or first dates or anything. But once you get the hang of it, this Holga will do you wonders. Seeing as the price is relatively cheap I also recommend having several of these for different films and effects. Personally I'd recommend other kinds though like the TLR (great for waist level candid shots, low angle) or another style of plastic camera. I own the TLR as well as a Diana Mini. But more important than what you own, have fun!
on August 16, 2011
What I love about this camera is the imperfections you get. Don't expect perfect pictures every time you use this little camera, but that is part of the fun. It is very easy and yet hard to create good photos with it. It is nice to have minimal controls, and yet you can do so much with them. I do wish that there were more accessories for it, but the ones that are around are great!
While I was looking for a camera, I figured that shooting with 120 film would be hard, as it is expensive and harder to come by. So 35 mm is a very nice choice. I take this baby with me almost everywhere I go. And look around online for websites that give tips and tricks for the camera, there are plenty out there.
I recommend this to anyone who is trying to break free from the digital camera world.
on August 18, 2015
This is a review for the Holga 135 BC version NOT the holga glo which i believe may be a bit different. I have the Holga 120N and love it so decided to get the 35mm version as well, specifically because you can get more exposures out of a 35mm roll and because it's known for it's vignetting which I love. So far, so good. Out of a roll of 36, I got 32 great photos. There are many on here giving the camera a bad review. It is a plastic camera, also known as a "toy camera" but if you know how to use it, and what it's capable of then it will be a great relationship. I used 100 speed film outside on a sunny day as my first roll and even in very contrasty shadow areas, it did a pretty decent job. I love the softness of the images and the darkened corners. 4 of my images I wasn't happy with because the composition was off, but that was completely my fault. I imagine with 400 speed film it would do even better. If you are going to use this camera indoors at all I recommend at least 400-800 speed film and/or a flash. Personally I like a small flash i purchased for my Holga 120 which was only $12, it does the job for simple purposes. Overall this is what I love about the camera: Compactness, lightweight, image qualities, easy to use, easy to focus, B capability, tripod socket for long exposures, hot shoe to attach flash, inexpensive. Also, if you're looking for a decent reasonably priced lab to get your prints check out Dwaynes Photo Lab in KS. I am not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer for many years.
on July 31, 2010
This is my first Holga, so I can't really compare it to any of the other Holga models. I love that it takes 35mm film and is incredibly easy to use. It's also extremely compact and lightweight. It is a plastic camera, so it feels flimsy (not that I expected otherwise), but I've dropped it twice now and it's been totally fine.

The pictures are the quality I expected. Being able to do multiple exposures is nice. I love the bent corner look and the way the colors turn out. For the price I paid, I'm very happy with the camera, and have a lot of fun using it. So far I've only used the 400 ISO Lomo film, and that's worked out nicely. All in all, it's a nice break from the predictability of digital photography. Do keep in mind that you'll need an external flash if you want to take any indoor or night photography. Without it, photos are very grainy or don't come out at all.
on September 12, 2011
I've used this camera just as much as my other 35mm cameras. The secret is to know your camera a bit beforehand so shoot some test rolls in varying light conditions. You don't need the cable release adapter to make this work with a cable release, the filter adapter, macro and close up lenses all work correctly with this camera. I recommend purchasing the flash unit as well.

This camera will scratch the back of your negatives, which is not a big deal if your just scanning them in since it usually wont show at all. If you plan on putting them in an enlarger you'll need to glue some felt or other fine material to the film pressure plate so it doesn't scratch.

Also the sunny / cloudy setting is kind of weird, its puts a rectangular aperture over the lens that really only shaves about a MM off either side of the lens..I generally ignore it and just shoot on cloudy.

Sadly, they have improved the quality of the lenses and all but eliminated the light leaks from the newer models now.
This takes great photos, but they are nothing like the original Holgas. I've still enjoyed this almost as much as my older Holgas however, and with a little practice you can take some great photos
on September 5, 2013
I received the 35mm Holga Glo NOT the 120 which is pictured (the information IS correct as listed 135mm) for a phenomenal price that was much lower than the one currently listed. Its was also the best price on the web considering it was basically half off!

Its fun because it really does glow in the dark and its a Holga. This is my second 35mm Holga. Looks great and super happy with the purchase.
on February 2, 2014
I NEVER write reviews. I'm a senior in college, it's not my thing. but reading everyone's reviews scared me before my camera came in the mail, so disregard them. here it is:

I hate digital because i'm always traveling with my sports team and having this camera is a good way to remember trips. My dad had a crappy camera when he was in college and I want to have solid memories like him, not digital.

Anyways I tried a roll of film out. People say it doesnt work indoors. If there's enough light, they come out. People say only 3 or 4 pictures develop, my first roll, 20/24 came out (the 4 were taken in way too dark of a room).

the pictures are soft, not blurry, and come out cool and different each shot.

Basically, everyone was saying you need to know about cameras and f/8 or f/11 settings and stuff but just point, click, and it'll be just what you want.

I love this thing,
on January 2, 2015
This camera will last forever, longer than your smart phone, dslr or any of today's digital cameras. great little camera with lots of options including long exposure, multiple exposure and any 35mm film stock can be used. easy to use for beginners or advanced.