Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 198 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
This is a "one sitting" book that kept me turning the pages until wee hours of the morning. Few authors possess the keen ability to help readers come into a grasp of the nature of God's holiness, but through this book Dr. Sproul (along with his wits and unique sense of humor) is able to help us understand better and transport the reader into the presence of God.

We often hear many talk about how God is love, yet why do fewer ever speak of His holiness and justice? The Holiness of God reminds me yet again that my salvation (through Christ's propitiatory death) is an act of mercy and grace by God (not an obligation), since His absolute holiness demands only justice for my sins. Dr. Sproul helps readers dig deeper beneath a superficial surface of what it means that God is holy--bringing us into a deeper understanding and love of who God is, a greater awe for His absolute holiness, and reverence in worship. As the famous Reformed preacher Jonathan Edwards once wrote: "A true love of God must begin with a delight in his holiness, and not with a delight in any other attribute; for no other attribute is truly lovely without this."

One of my favorite chapters carries an intriguing title: The Trauma of Holiness. Why and how does holiness invoke trauma? Many other religions have invented god(s) who brought only comfort. Even Sigmund Freud espoused the theory that people invent "god(s)" to help them deal with scary things, to serve as a "crutch," so to speak. In this book Sproul draws a contrast by demonstrating how the one and only true God has certain characteristics distinct from those that would normally be attributed by the common man. Our true God possesses a uniqueness (an awesome "otherness"). After Jesus miraculously calmed the storm in the Sea of Galilee, the disciples felt uncomfortable and terrified (yes, terrified) upon realizing that they, in their sinfulness, were in the presence of the Holy One. What a contrast to those popular man-made ideas of God invented only to bring comfort!

This book helps us to see better the God who is--who not only brings comfort in time of need, invokes our adoration and praise, but also in whose Holy presence drives us to our knees in reverential worship.
44 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2000
This book is unlike any that I have ever read in that it puts the LORD in His rightful place; on the throne, high and lifted up,exalted.
RC Sproul has a wonderful grasp on the Holiness of God. This book is a must read for any Christian who is serious about furthering his or her walk with the Lord. Holiness is not a topic that is preached on, and that is unfortunate, because the Bible tells us that without holiness "no man shall see the Lord." Dr. Sproul's work is compelling, yet easy to understand. I highly recommend this book, and I am willing to discuss it in more detail, so feel free to send me an email.
on August 5, 2006
Holiness on God's level is simply incomprehensible ... Sproul is not. God is Holy, man is not ... but ... we must be made Holy.

So ... how far are we from Holiness??? Sproul points out that the distance between man and angels can be hypothetically measured. God said we were created a little less than angels. However, the Holiness distance between man and God is infinite.

Sproul effectively places God's Holiness at the root of the old testament "hard stories" of God's Justice (e.g. Uzzah struck down 'protecting' the Ark, the sons of Aaron vaporized for using the wrong incense) ... these are particularly difficult and frightening acts of God that are seemingly inconsistent with a loving and merciful God (at least for me). Sproul walks you through the seeming paradox quite effectively. No prophet could bear to look upon God's Holiness (they thought they wanted to). Why? ... the incomprehensible distance between man and the Holiness of God is deadly. As Isaiah said ... 'I am undone' ... by mere proximity to the Holy Being.

Sproul gets down to the simple fact that Christ is our only bridge to God's Holiness. Only Christ can reflect the face of God to man. Sproul's rationale for bridging the infinite gap by 'justification through faith' in the Lord Christ is well written.

Holiness is a topic that seems to drag authors into being over wrought. Words simply do not communicate the incomprehensible I suppose. Sproul does an excellent job being readable, understandable and avoiding being over wrought on this heavy topic.
on March 28, 2008
I told someone recently that I was reading The Holiness of God by Sproul and they looked at me like I was an alien. They responded with surprise that I had not read it and went on to rave about the book. Sometimes books get a bit too much pub and then don't live up to the hype; however, this book is not one of them. The Holiness of God is classic Sproul and it is a much needed message for the church of any age, but in particular, the message of a transcendently glorious God is desperately needed today.

Sproul starts off the book in a chapter entitled The Holy Grail. It is in this chapter where he recounts a story of how God forever changed his life by revealing the majestic holiness of the God to him. From this point on, Sproul says he was captivated by the holiness of God.

The chapter on Isaiah 6 entitled Holy, Holy, Holy is just plain awesome. Sproul combines transcendent theology with passion and delivers it in a clear, lucid manner that is engaging to the soul.

For example,

"To be undone means to come apart at the seams, to be unraveled.... [It is] personal disintegration.... [Isaiah] was considered by his contemporaries as the most righteous man in the nation. He was respected as a paragon of virtue. Then he caught one sudden glimpse of the holy God. In that single moment, all of his self-esteem was shattered. In a brief second he was exposed, made naked beneath a gaze of the absolute standard of holiness. As long as Isaiah could compare himself to other mortals, he was able to maintain a lofty opinion of his own character. The instant he measured himself by the ultimate standard, he was destroyed--morally and spiritually annihilated. He was undone. He came apart. His sense of integrity collapsed."

"There is a special kind of phobia from which we all suffer. It is called xenophobia. Xenophobia is a fear (and sometimes hatred) of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign. God is the ultimate object of our xenophobia. He is the ultimate stranger. He is the ultimate foreigner. He is holy, and we are not."

This is just great stuff. And it serves as a timely tonic for our current age that seems to have chiseled a God who looks and acts more like our little buddy than the transcendently enthroned King of kings.

Sproul also writes about Christ's holiness. In the chapter, The Trauma of Holiness, Sproul shows how Christ demonstrates his utter differentness and superiority over everything by calming the ferocious storms. Peter's response should be the model, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man." (Luke 5.8).

My only criticism is Sproul's insertion of a chapter on Martin Luther. I was jamming along, just drinking up the radiant holiness that this book was warming me with and then...bam....a chapter on Luther. Now, I have nothing against Luther, but, it just seemed a bit unnecessary and out of place. Perhaps others disagree.

Overall, I think the book is a must read. I am catapulting it to the `top-ten' status.
on December 5, 2012
R. C. Sproul is on of the greatest Bible teachers of our day. I first bought this book some years ago and was so blessed by his view of God that I could not put the book down untill I finished it. Of course I almost finished it at the book store standing reading it at the shelf. I knew I had to have this book. Now I give this book to young preachers that I know, because there is one thing we need in our day and that is a proper view of God. R.C has done a wonderful job. The God most people have in their mind is not the God of the bible, but a god they have created in their own mind. Untill we get a clear view of the true God, the God of the Bible, we will never have a clear view of ourselfs. We don't hear this God preached from most pulpits across our land today, but this is the only God there is and this God is the one we must answer to. Get this book and read it.
on December 27, 2006
I believe that R.C. Sproul's book, "The Holiness of God", is one of the most important theological books of this generation and that history will prove that to be true. Many reasons are obvious---the easy readability, the engaging humor, the correct use of many biblical texts, the fascinating look into the personal accounts of Martin Luther's life and how that relates to one of the most critical periods in world history (the Reformation), Sproul's masterful exposition of Isaiah's encounter with the living God in Isaiah 6, and the ease at which Sproul is able to unpack and distribute to the reader a true sense of that unfathomable yet foundational characteristic of our awesome God, namely, His holiness.

The reader is left with a deeper, more profound understanding of God's holiness and His separateness from us and, at the same time, a greater conviction of his own depravity and unworthiness before our God. This results in true spiritual growth in Christlikeness (as the Scriptures demand) as one's understanding of God's character is challenged and his sinful heart is exposed in order to be confessed and cleansed.

The truths of this book truly set me free (to love and worship my Lord as never before) when my unsaved father died unexpectedly last year and I wrestled (as Jacob did with the angel of the Lord) with my Heavenly Father and His supposed "injustice" in sovereignly sending my earthly father to an eternal hell. I read it, prayed, cried, and agonized for months until the truth of God's holiness and justice pierced my aching heart with peace and acceptance. My God became bigger, more sovereign, more just, and more loving and merciful in my eyes as I more deeply realized the truth (as Romans 9 teaches), "What right does the pot have to say to the Potter, this is unfair?". No explanation necessary.

I must highly recommend this book and suggest that you give a copy to everyone you know, believer or unbeliever, if you want them to be exposed to the foundational truth of God's awe-inspiring holiness and to be transformed into His likeness.
on March 9, 2006
I cannot recommend this book more highly. Of all of the aspects of the character of God, R.C. Sproul confronts what is arguably the most important for us as created beings to understand. I have yet to talk to someone who has this book who does not also refer back to it time and again to grow in some fresh way in grasping the holiness of God. It is provocative on many levels only because of Sproul's fidelity to the Word of God, the Bible. It is written on the level of a primer but broaches subjects many scholars shy away from. For most, reading this book will change your understanding and relationship with God.
on July 7, 1999
For those who are looking for a book which will give them warm fuzzies of God and his relationship with man, this is not it! This book acurately describes the holiness and sovereignty of God in a way which no doubt, many modern readers may find troubling. Man's response is now (as it has always been) either one of hatred to this infinitely holy and sovereign God, or one of adoration. soli Deo gloria!
on July 26, 2005
I have been an avid reader my whole life. In the last several years, since I first heard the Lord's call in my heart, I have read many, many books on theology and apologetics. Other than the Bible itself, there are two books which have had the biggest impact on my thinking and on my faith. One is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. The other is "The Holiness of God" by R.C. Sproul. This book is absolutely brilliant. It was penned by a man who is obviously very much aware of his own profane nature in the presence of a holy God. Any Christian who is serious about his or her faith needs to read this book. I'd recommend it for non-Christians as well with the following caveat: it will hurt, but it will give you a real understanding of the God whose justice demands payment and punishment from every one of us, and by whose mercy sent His own Son to make the payment that we never could in a thousand lifetimes. It brings home the awesome mystery of what holiness is, what it means that God is holy, and what it means when He tells us to be holy. It brings you face to face with God the Father, about whom we sometimes forget as we focus on the Son.

Sproul cites examples, from the Bible and others, of persons who have come to know God as He really is, and what their reactions were. Martin Luther, trying to make himself holy but failing miserably, and in so doing coming to know the only Holy God. Isaiah, crying out, "I am undone!" Simon Peter, seeing Jesus calm the storm by His very voice and crying, "Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!" He also relates his own first profound experience of God's holiness. With a degree in philosophy, he appeals to the thinker, but he also makes his points in a way that the average layperson can understand.

Another important thing Sproul does throughout the book is to define "churchy" words like "righteous," "woe," "glory," and of course, "holy". Words that don't spring up in everyday conversation and tend to call up images of fire-and-brimstone preachers are properly used and defined, when some other authors and even some biblical translations avoid them because they sound too archaic. He calls us to realize the importance of understanding these words as they were originally used, as modern synonyms often don't have the same profound meanings.

My recommendation: Go ahead and buy it. If you check it out from a library, you'll end up buying it anyway.
on October 7, 2014
Too much of christianity (yes small "c") starts with themselves, or rather the 'human' element to understand 'god' (yes, small "g"). R.C. Sproul unmasks the fallacy of starting there and points to the real starting point: GOD!

My favorite take away is: GOD should have/could have, at the rebellion of his creation, smacked HIS hands together and destroyed all HE had created and NOT let it continue in its reckless rebellion against HIS authority and holiness. Not only that, HE allowed, even planned for, the death of HIS SON at the hands of the little rebellious creatures...so that many might be saved!

Incredible...