- File Size: 1388 KB
- Print Length: 487 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Anachron Press (July 28, 2014)
- Publication Date: July 28, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00M81489S
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #55,613 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$18.99|
Save $14.00 (74%)
Hollow Space: Venture - A Space Opera Adventure (Xantoverse Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 487 pages||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Similar books to Hollow Space: Venture - A Space Opera Adventure (Xantoverse Book 1)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
He has run a number of tech-based businesses, built large-scale web-applications for healthcare and tech companies, worked in rat-infested workshops, and scoured the back streets of London looking for stories and fine beer--which he found in abundance.
Find out more about the Xantoverse books at: www.xantoverse.com
Top Customer Reviews
This new world has many races including human, all with a great well developed history and culture. I would say for those who are watching the current show Defiance this will give you a very good idea of the array of races and cultures. There are a multitude of characters with rich back stories and history's that are artfully weaved into the story.
This is the first book in an epic space series Hollow Space: Venture. The story grabs you right away with fast paced scenes of the crew of the Venture. Their ship the Venture is the last colony ship of the Human race and they are in a battle and on the run from a ruthless enemy. Just as things look like the may turn out they find out space has a way of pulling the rug from under them. The crew of the Venture ends up in an uncharted part of space known as Hollow Space, a part of space that shouldn't exist. They make their new home on the space station Haven, this a fantastic beginning to a multi-part space adventure.
I found the main characters Sara, Kina, Ti and Dylan fascinating in their development and personal journeys. The story grabs you and doesn't let go, the action and tension are gripping. The action and life on Haven is complex with the many races living and existing together. The rules are fast and loose and the people they can trust are hard to find.Read more ›
It has characters you'll become attached to very quickly, a whole new scifi world, and fast paced action.
I read an advance review copy of this book.
The characters are well-rounded, balanced, and mostly escape stereotypes. Their development takes engaging, surprising turns and makes them into real people affected by real events, forever. That, plus a solid grasp on various alien races, really sold me on the characters. None of the new species we encounter are all One Culture Aliens; they have spectra of personalities, stereotypes, and people that break those stereotypes. If anything, the human characters are the least-developed species in Hollow Space, which speaks to the nature of the environment if anything.
Plus, it has action. It has gunfights that mean something to the plot. It has pilots that are just too good at navigating deadly debris fields, with all sorts of creatures you would not expect to see in space. It has all the cool, mysterious background stuff that keeps you reading. But mostly, it's fun. This is a fun book, and I had tons of fun reading it. I wish more books took a solid concept, grounded characters, and just let fly with the plot. Barnes and Grant make it look easy, and there's a lot to recommend in this novel. Highly recommended.
Space opera is a genre that I've loved since I was a kid. I grew up with my dad's Flash Gordon stories, John Carter of Mars, and even Buck Rogers. Then the modern classic hit the screens in 1977 and I was hooked for life. From there it was onward to Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek (mostly TNG and DS9), and finally Firefly came along and injected a few more vital ingredients to the mix.
The Xantoverse stories, beginning with Hollow Space: Venture, promise to do everything their predecessors have done, and a whole lot more. The characters here are complex and richly detailed. We get blendings of our favorites, a synthesis of canonical archetypes, who, in their complexity, prove infinitely more compelling and exciting than those who came before. This is a truly original cast that the authors have put together, and the surrounding spacescape is no less enchanting and intriguing.
We get space pirates, space monsters, fantastic alien species with all manner of threat and curiosity about them, rival gangs, morally corrupt and morally ambiguous antagonists and protagonists both. It's a treat to have read the story, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next one.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
There were times I could only read a few pages at a time - it became "Seriously, they never catch a break, yet magically emerge". Read morePublished 1 day ago by Glen G
"Hollow Space" is a dangerous and fantastical place made complete with it's own menagerie of aliens. C.F. Barnes has quickly become a favorite author of mine. Read morePublished 22 days ago by Kindle Customer
I was swept up in the story and look forward to more books about these characters and Hollow Space. It's refreshing finding a book without a bunch of foul language.Published 27 days ago by G. Miller
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Genetic Engineering
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Marine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera