Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on April 7, 2007
If I had to change my name to anything else it would be to Vincent Luca. This is the name of the Son of the Mob. This was the second book of the series about the son of the mob that I read. Vincent is the first Luca to graduate from high school and make it to college. When he gets there he hopes he will be mafia-free, because he does not like his other option, actually joining the mob. Within Vincent's first week at college his brother Tommy shows up at his dorm and ends up staying for a while.

Throughout the other quarter of the book, Vincent's "uncles", men who work under Vincent's father, start showing up at his dorm with his mother's homemade food. The "uncles" say that they are there to go sightseeing, but Vincent has other suspicions. Ironically Vincent's college roommate is the son of a Congressman. He has a knack for the "five finger discount". Vincent's roommate finds out about the mob connection, Vincent therefore wants his roommate to stay far away from hid "uncles" in case he has any ideas about joining the mob. This is my favorite part of the book

It turns out that Tommy is only in town to find ways to scam money. The "uncles" are only there so they can cause riots at all of the Congressman's speeches.

Vincent's roommate goes out and steals a car, at the same Vincent finds out that his own father is in town, and mysteriously someone important goes missing. To add up to a great grand finale, Vincent and his roommate both follow their fathers coincidentally at the same time. It turns out they are all headed to the same place, the same place the missing person is being held. The question now is whose the good guy and whose the bad guy???

This book was well written and well put together. The author did a good job of piecing together the facts. He alluded, very well I might add, to what it would be like in the mob. It was the kind of book that you felt like you were a part of. It really felt like you knew what Vincent was going through. I would definately reccomend this book to anyone interested in an action packed novel.
on March 2, 2016
~3/5

It has been a long time since I read the first book in this series. A long time. But I’ve had this book on my shelf for just as long, and finally decided to read it. Thankfully, it explained everything I needed to know from the previous book.

Vince is going to college, in the same town as his girlfriend, far away from their families. His family is the mob. And her father is the police officer after his family. He wants to be a film director, she wants to be an actress or singer. But then his family keeps showing up.

It’s definitely hard for Vince to get away from the mob life, even if his father knows he wants no part in it. And then Vince gets roomed with a politicians son. He’s not doing so well in classes, especially filming, his girlfriend is too busy with classes and acting to be with him. His brother won’t go back home, and then all his uncles show up. The poor guy just can’t catch a break.

I liked what happened with his father, how even though he butted into business he didn’t want anything to do with, it ended up showing him how much his father cared for him. It made him realize that maybe his father isn’t all bad, even if he is in the mob. I also liked where he was with his girlfriend in the end; they had a rough time, but they got through it in the end.

Overall, this was an enjoyable book, if a little average.

[More of my reviews are available on my blog, Geeky Reading, to which there's a link on my profile.]
on March 22, 2007
What would someone do if they thought they were finally away from the mob but then it suddenly came back into their life? Vince Luca faced this in the fantastic book Son of the Mob Hollywood Hustle by Gordon Karman.

At first Vince goes off to college happy to get away from the mob which is his father's business. His roommate, Trey, is the son of a congressman. As things go on Vince's relationship with his girlfriend, Kendra goes down hill and he gets mixed up with an evil scheme.

There are multiple things that I loved about this book. First, I enjoyed the plot because it always kept me hooked and I always wanted to know what would happen next. This is shown when Trey steals something and gets caught. When he got caught I wanted to know what would happen to him. Another thing I liked about this book was the theme. The theme teaches people that just because someone looks and acts good around the public does not mean that they don't do bad things and vice versa. Finally, I loved the character development. For example, Trey hated his dad and what he did at the beginning but Trey matures and learns that he actually loves his dad and will help him no matter what.

This book would be appropriate for teens because it has lots of action and suspense and different relationships. I enjoyed Son of the Mob Hollywood Hustle by Gordon Karman and I hope other people do too.
on April 11, 2006
If you like the kind of book that can be funny with a lot of action an romance all at the same time this is the book for you. The son of the mob is the second bnook in the series of son of the mob books. The book is about a high school graduate named vince luka that is going to collage in hollywood to learn how to be a film director but this isnt just any ordinary kid he is the son of a mob boss in New York city. When vince gets to collage his roomate is the son of a fomouse congresman that is running for governer, talk about two different worlds. Everything is going ok until some of vinces fathers cronies show up for a little vacation but vince knows better than that and soon enough the congressmans opponent is kidnapped.

I think this is a great book because it always kept me on my toes and it has a great surprise ending.
on November 21, 2005
Spencer Hook

Book talk

10/10/2005

Per. 2

Son of the Mob Hollywood Hustle

Gordon Korman

Vince goes to collage trying to get away from the family business, but it fallows him to LA where he goes to collage.

Mystery/romance

My favorite character is Trey because he is the congressmen's son but he hates his dad's business so he steals things to get his dad in trouble.

My favorite part in the book is when Vince thinks his dad kidnapped the president of the construction company but it turns out Trey's dad did so he could get more T.V. time.

I think you should read this book because it was very funny how when you think something is going to happen then something totally different happens.

The first event that happens in this story is Vince and his best friend and girlfriend go to collage together and Vince finds out he took the wrong suitcase. The suitcase that he took was his dads but that one had 3-4 million dollars in it. So he calls his dad and tells him to come and get it so he sends someone to go get it. Vince gets almost caught with the money so the other guy had to steal it and for his getaway car he steals Vince's car and he didn't even know it.

The second event that happens is he's making a movie and the only actors he can find are furan students that are apart of his job that cant speak very much English. Then his brother tells them they can make a lot of money easily so the quit the movie and Tommy takes over Vince's job. So Vince has to find knew actors which are frat boys that Tommy scares into doing it.
on August 11, 2013
After reading the first book, this one didn't measure up as well as it should have. Though well-constructed, it would have been nice if there was more thought in the plot. It was the type of book that you read until the end but skipped a few pages of because they contained unnecessary, slightly embarrassing content. All in all, not bad.
on April 6, 2014
My students read Son of the Mob and when we finished they kept wanting to know what happens to Vince, Kendra, and Alex. After reading parts of Hollywood Hustle they are on the look out for their own copy to finish reading.
on February 2, 2010
The item I purchased was sent directly to me within the expected time frame and in just the condition described in the sellers profile. I am happy to add it to my collection of books.
on November 18, 2013
Book one is much better. Would give Son of the Mob Book One 4 1/2 or 5 stars. Book 2 seems a little forced. Still valuable especially for middle school/early high school boys.
on July 20, 2013
I loved the person, but I didn't have high expectations. I was so wrong. This book was more funny and witty then the first. I wish there was a third!