4.0 out of 5 stars the new Hollywood Creative Directory
Published 11 months ago by Dagwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated with Spring 2013 HSD
I was so excited when I bought the Spring 2013 Hollywood Screenwriting Directory. I have just finished my script and am eager to send it out.

The directory is not accurate, however, and I have become frustrated. Many times it will say that production companies accept query letters when actually they do not.
Published 12 months ago by Screenwriter2013

4.0 out of 5 stars the new Hollywood Creative Directory, July 22, 2013
Dagwood (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hollywood Screenwriting Directory Spring 2013: A Specialized Resource for Discovering Where & How to Sell Your Screenplay (Paperback)
This is an excellent resource for identifying production companies, with information provided about their genres. It apparently replaces the old "Hollywood Creative Directory" for purposes os screenwriters wishing to contact producers. The "Creative Directory" was published for years and available on hard copy and online, but when they went under a few years ago, nothing emerged to replace it, until now. Some of the entries in the "Hollywood Screenwriting Directory Spring 2013" were out of date (e-mail bouncebacks), but this is unavoidable in any hard-copy directory. Some of the entries were wrong in identifying whether or not a particular production company accepts what the industry condescendingly calls "unsolicited" queries (meaning one not sent by a representative--an agent, manager or attorney; if you're a writer representing himself, your query is "unsolicited."). Because industry practitioners seem to be especially touchy about "unsolicited" material for reasons of lawsuits and maintenance of the general pecking order, which you as an unrepresented writer are at the bottom of, they respond in a huff if you have transgressed their policy of not viewing unsolicited queries. This apparently falls somewhere in seriousness between keying a new car and mass murder. In their highest dudgeon, some even send back your e-mail claimiing they are returning your "material" so that they won't be sullied by reading it. Anyway, best if the directory can get that submission policy information more correct so that production companies can't muster their righteous fury about daring to approach them with an unsolicited query (shudder).

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated with Spring 2013 HSD, July 12, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must., July 4, 2013
A MUST for screenwriters at any level of their careers.
Provides everything a writer needs for script submittal. And it's inexpensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Aspiring Screenwriter., June 25, 2013
This book has so much information about screenwriting. Stuff I never learned in my screenwriting class. I'm so glad I bought it.
Lilly Lavender

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, User-Friendly, May 25, 2013
C. Sanders (Walnut Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Kindle version is especially user-friendly, with links to the contacts based on their submission requirements. Far easier to use than the hard-copy would be for script submissions .

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 21, 2014
I bought the book, spring, 2013. I carefully picked 64 companies that might want my script. I sent 64 letters and e-mails. 14 were the wrong addresses. Four did not accept unsolicited queries. None of the others responded at all, even by simply checking a box on a stamped postcard and dropping it in the mail. It was a disappointing purchase, to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, January 25, 2014
Tons of company listings, easy to read through and VERY easy to navigate on the Kindle. Tons of great contacts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in Getting My Script Out There, November 29, 2013
This book helped me get about 20 "Yes, send me the script" responses. Many of the emails came back undeliverable, but just as many went through and my script is on its way to Hollywood execs. So give it a shot -- and don't hesitate to send snail mail -- some companies still look at their mail. Emails are a dime a dozen these days.

Good luck and thanks for the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Again with the 2013 Directory, November 26, 2013
Once again Hollywood Screenwriting Directory is not accurate where it counts most...I have five letters denying they accept e mail requests. This directory is too expensive to have such poor quality. It can end your relationship with a producer before it can begin. How many production companies just didn't answer my query I would have to guess...probably most don't even wish to receive queries. Too bad, there is a lot of information here, how accurate it is is another question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful directory., June 9, 2013
I will know in the future if this book is as helpful as I hope it will be. But I definitely like how the book tells you the title of the person you will be sending your work to, what genres they want, and their submission policies. Some of these companies accept scripts outright. It took a while for me to realize that the internet wasn't a viable place to learn of agents and the like. So far I've noticed in this book that a writer will be sending their work directly to production company producers, writers, and directors. This review is hopefully full enough to help someone else base a purchase off of it; I might rate the book with ten stars if I get a call back. :) Good luck writers.

Rate and Discover Movies