4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but beware the Kindle Edition
Published on April 21, 2011 by manda600

1.0 out of 5 stars who typed this thing?
Published on March 19, 2011 by bkluvr

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but beware the Kindle Edition, April 21, 2011
I really enjoyed this story. As compared to the first book in the Hollywood Headlines Series, Scandal Sheet, The Perfect Shot had far more action and intrigue. The plot of going on the run with a movie star while on a mad dash to find a missing flashdrive, all the while trying to keep the world famous celebrity from being recognized was fast-paced and incredibly interesting (and the side story of an old Hollywood unsolved mystery was great too). The only complaint I have with the story is that I wished the romance between Trace and Cam could have been a bit more developed, as it was with the hero and heroine in the first book of the series. When they're allowed to banter the chemistry between the two is great, as it was in the scene where they were bonding over a similar past while sharing a hotel room, but these moments are few and far between as compared to the mystery. Also, until the finale of the book, the romance seemed one-sided. Cam's attraction to Trace was obvious, as was the fact that she'd fallen in love with him, but other than saying she was pretty and seeming to find some of the things she said and did amusing you really don't get the sense that Trace is in love with her until the very, very end of the book. Unlike the first book in the series, there are no stolen moments, no almost moments, no kisses until everything wraps up. It seemed like a loss because there was a lot of potential there for a more well-rounded romance.

Additionally it really should be noted that if you are considering purchasing the Kindle edition, BUYER BEWARE. It leaves much to be desired. Whoever transferred it to ereader format did so with numerous typos and several occasions of words being omitted, repeated, and misspelled; missing punctuation; formatting errors resulting in large gaps before the next chapter of text appears, and instances of improper indentation as well as spacing issues. It's not horrendous enough to make it completely unreadable; it's surprising how many internal corrections the brain will make. However these sorts of careless errors would not pass muster on a high school essay. They certainly should not have been allowed into a professional publication. I love my Kindle, but I truly wish I had my money back on this ebook to go buy the print version instead, which is what I would advice anyone else to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars who typed this thing?, March 19, 2011
This review is from: Hollywood Secrets (Hollywood Headlines Mysteries #2) (Kindle Edition)
I adore my Kindle, and have bought hundreds of books on it, including a few self published ones. This is the first one that appears to have been typed by a person who doesn't speak English. I'm not joking. There is on average, at least one typo per page, so many in fact that I haven't been able to finish the book, and will probably ask for my money back. These are not misspellings, they are the work of someone who pressed the spellcheck button, with no comprehension of a word's meaning. If I were a hard working author like Gemma Halliday I would seriously consider getting a contract with another publisher. The story itself, as with all of her others, is adequately entertaining. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an author out there who could overcome the glaring and never ending errors in the production of this manuscript.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!!, March 30, 2011
As with all of her books, I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. Cam is a photographer with a tabloid paper trying to do her job when she witnesses the kidnapping of Trace, a big Hollywood star. She finds him, but in the process runs across a dead body and a mystery. Cam and Trace team up to try and find the killer before Trace is next in the body bag.
I love the chemistry that develops between Cam and Trace as the story moves along. I read all of the High Heels mysteries, plus SCANDAL SHEET, the first in the Hollywood Headlines series, and have loved each and every one! Can hardly wait on the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from one of my favorite authors, November 12, 2012
I've read this series in reverse order (most recently published first) and I'm wishing I read them in the order in which she wrote them. If you buy them all at once, do read them in publication order - it makes the personal interactions easier to understand and appreciate.

Aside from that the good news is that this is a fast paced, truly enjoyable read. Light enough to be fun, with a plot that holds the interest, and characters to love. Cam Dakota is the very talented photographer for Felix Dunn's (of High Heels fame) tabloid, assigned to take pix of heart throb and rising star Trace Brody. Cam is a much more believable character than Maddie Springer (although I'm definitely a Maddie fan, don't get me wrong), and the characters and plot are well-developed.

Now for the bad news: I have the Kindle version and whoever typed this or transferred it to e-reader format and proofed it needs new eyeglasses. If the book wasn't as good as it is, I would have stopped reading. The typos and formatting issues are down right annoying at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Discovery, March 4, 2012
Fun story! It was a quick, light read and perfect for my plane ride. I will definitely read more from this author. The main character was well developed and I found her believable. (but please give her a cookie if she is only 110 lbs. and tall! :) )

I believe this isn't the first book of the series and happily it didn't matter. I had no trouble getting into the character as it stood on it's on quite well. I would recommend this book to my girlfriends for a fast paced romance and look forward to reading more from Gemma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood, sex, scandle and fun!, February 5, 2012
Gemma Halliday's second Hollywood Headlines series book - Hollywood Secrets. We are introduced to Cameron Dakota, the staff photographer for the L.A. Informer, and she is the paparazzi in the designer clothes. She knows who is who, where to find them and how to shoot them for the cover story of the year. She is following Trace Brody, hot, sexy he-man movie star and his soon to be wife Jamie Lee, the actress of the year, for the inside scoop on the Hollywood Wedding of the year. But Trace is kidnapped. Her boss Felix Dunn (he is also in the High Heel Mysteries) thinks its publicity, but Cam thinks there is more. What follows is a wonderful romp, chases, inside scoops, excitement, romance and murder. Cam only has a short time to solve the riddle or have it dropped.

BTW, the Kindle version I have of this book is formatted well and while there is a spelling error here and there, nothing distracts from the story.

Again, this is so entertaining to read. Gemma Halliday has a way with weaving stories and making them enjoyable, fashionable and fun. And now, I'm hooked on the second series. I am going back to find the first book, so I can catch up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, September 22, 2011
This was a great series that I totally got sucked into. I got the first book on my Kindle because it was free and I wanted something to read on my vacation. I loved it and bought the next two right away and read through them quickly. They have interesting characters and a fun storyline with a who-done-it mystery aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fun read from Gemma Halliday, April 1, 2011
Patsy (Centreville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This is the second book in Gemma's Hollywood Headlines series and if you're a Gemma fan, you won't be disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really, really boring, June 29, 2014
Sue Averett (Cedar Hills, UT) - See all my reviews
I didn't like this book at all. It was boring, unrealistic,and the premise was stupid. I should have known by the title. Hollywood is boring, unrealistic, and stupid. The characters are shallow and uninteresting. What a waste of time. I like a good mystery (even if it is about Hollywood) but this isn't one. Don't even think about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series for fun, light reading, June 16, 2014
Kathryn (CHANDLER, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
Once I read one of Gemma Halliday's mysteries I was anxious to read them all. None of them disappointed. I love to read as a pastime, just a distraction from everyday life. I read all kinds of heavy literature in school and now I just want diversion. This is a great series to simply amuse oneself. Highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies