5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best New Bible Dictionaries
This is probably the best new bible dictionary to come along in some time. It contains over 700 full-color photos, illustrations, charts, and maps. And these are not just "eye-candy," they are meaty and well thought-out. For example, under the topic of "Revelation" there is a 5-page chart which summarizes how each of the major interpretive views...
Published on November 29, 2003 by Anthony Garland

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Buyers Beware
Unfortunately Amazon included all of the hardback reviews in the Kindle section. All of these glowing reports omit the fact that navigation in the kindle version is very difficult. the Table of Contents takes you only to the first letter of the word you are seeking, after that its "scroll baby scroll". The search function does not take you to the primary topic entry, but...
Published on July 22, 2011 by KenMor

‹ Previous | 15 6 716 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked the PC and Hard Copy better., March 6, 2013
I have the PC and hard copy of this dictionary and have really enjoyed using them for class or just personal study. I figured having this on my tablet would be a great help. The info is the same but the navigation for specific articles needs a lot of work. If I do a search for lets say Noah, it gives me every instance of Noah in the book and I have to figure which one I want or go to the N section and turn one page at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars My #1 Study Resource !, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
HOLMAN HAS DONE A TREMENDOUS JOB IN PUTTING THIS ALL TOGETHER IN ONE VOLUME! IT'S LARGE AND HEAVY, SO DON'T PLAN ON CARRYING IT AROUND A LOT. BUT FOR HOME STUDY, IT'S QUICKLY BECOME MY FIRST CHOICE OF REFERENCE BOOKS! THE ARTICLES ARE CONCISE AND THE THEOLOGY IS BALANCED BUT CONSERVATIVE. THE ONLY REASON I DIDN'T RATE IT 5 STARS IS BECAUSE THE BINDING ISN'T HOLDING UP AS WELL AS IT SHOULD. (MAYBE THEY SHOULD DIVIDE THIS WONDERFUL WORK INTO A 2 VOLUME SET...) HARD TO GO WRONG HERE, ESP. FOR THE PRICE! Chaplain Dan Brodek

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Bible Dictionary, September 6, 2010
T.P. (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary is wonderful. The word "dictionary" just doesn't do it justice. To me, it is so much more than that. Yes, it helps you to spell correctly and learn to pronounce things properly (like King Artaxerxes etc.!), but the majority of things you look up have detailed information, often lenghty - and enlightening. For each book of the Bible, there is a nice overview. For instance, look up Acts and there are 2 pages for it (which I enjoyed thoroughly).

I bought this dictionary about 2 months ago and I find myself reaching for it frequently. I was hesitant at first to spend the $20. because I have a couple smaller Bible dictionaries (not often used), but I am so happy I did. I will be giving the other dictionaries away, but the Holman dictionary will never be put on a shelf, and I will probably wear the pages out! My one and only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantanstic resource book, August 29, 2008
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
This is an excellent resource book and provides many references that are not found in other Bible dictionaries. It would make a wonderful gift for any srudent of the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible Dictionary, February 11, 2008
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
Great book; has pictures of glossary terms that bring the book to life. Great Amazon product!

2.0 out of 5 stars No search capability, June 6, 2013
Very frustrating. The cornerstone of a dictionary is that it is searchable. One has to "thumb through to find a word or phrase. Really unsatisfactory. Wish I could return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, May 18, 2007
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
We had an individual giving lectures at our church on how to properly study the bible. This book he recommended and now that I own one I can see why. Indepth, very informative, did not anticipate such reliable, indepth, historic it was. I was recently asked to teach our lesson study at church and by looking up the backgrounds of the hisstites, amorites, etc., etc. I was able to inform the class on the backgrounds of some of these tribes, very happy at this purchase and knowledgable information. A must for people who want answers to deep questions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Everyone..., November 22, 2013
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
Be careful, this bible dictionary is not for everyone. Very disappointed with the heavily-slanted editorial commentary associated with the names and terms, commentary which very often was not in harmony with my spiritual understanding of those Bible characters. If you are looking for a fact-based bible dictionary, this is not for you. Returned my copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bible Dictionary, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Hardcover)
It is extremely comprehensive, although it was missing some words that were in the King James version of the Bible. Overall an excellent reference. I would definitely recommend to those who are serious about studying the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
great product

‹ Previous | 15 6 716 | Next ›

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary by Terry L. Wilder (Hardcover - October 1, 2003)
$29.97 $18.34