4.0 out of 5 stars Use Bacteriostat and the filter will last for the season
Published on October 9, 2011 by Choco Tuftytoes

1.0 out of 5 stars Regret selecting this humidifier
We have owned this unit for approximately 3-4 months and have had to change the filter four times now. At about $10 per filter, the cost of ownership is just not worth it. After about a month of use, the filters begin to smell musty or moldy, requiring us to change them (or fill the room with musty smelling moisture).

As humidifiers go, the unit is a bit...
Published on March 11, 2010 by VA Engineer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Use Bacteriostat and the filter will last for the season, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
We have 2 of these humidifiers, and they work very well. We require the white noise for sleeping, so we love that it is loud. The tank lasts for two nights (about 24 hours running time. We add a capful of Holmes Bacteriostat to the water each time, and no mold grows on the filter. This product is basically peroxide, and the bottle lasts all winter for two humidifiers. My only complaint is that there is no way to clean off the fan blades, and after three years of use we need new machines. Still, I think they are a great value and they help eliminate stuffy noses at our house!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud, but I like it, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
I actually like the fact that it is loud. I bought it for my kids' room. I like the white noise factor; it helps them both sleep.

I keep it upstairs and I can't hear it downstairs. Doesn't bother me at all. Easy to clean and fill.

1.0 out of 5 stars Regret selecting this humidifier, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)

As humidifiers go, the unit is a bit loud, although as another reviewer said, the 'white noise' type of sound doesn't bother our sleep.

We're definitely searching for a new humidifier - this one is becoming to expensive to continue using.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job., November 14, 2013
Ali M. Jaafar (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
I brought this humidifier for my wife (then girlfriend) over four years ago and it's still running great. I just wanted to take the time to address a couple of common complaints that I've been reading:

1) Filter going bad quickly - when I first bought the humidifier, the filter when bad after a few days. That's when we realized that the filter wasn't air drying quickly enough to prevent mold. My solution: When i wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is take the water tank off the humidifier and turn the fan on high. This will dry the filter in about 35 minutes increasing the life of the filter. We can usually get 1 1/2 - 2 months out of one filter.

2) Noise. This is clearly a matter of preference, as we love the white noise the fans makes

3) cleaning the fan. I 'll give you that one. Cleaning the fan is a bit tricky, but you don't have to disassemble the entire thing to clean it. Just pop the grey part off of the top and clean the blades with a Clorox wipe. Pop the top back on and you're good to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, August 8, 2012
Sandra L. Rowe (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
This humidifier is easy to use, easy to clean and works well without spewing white dust all over the place. The only complaint is that the fan blades get dirty after a few months and they are hard to get to to clean. I just got a screwdriver and took the thing apart, cleaned the fan, and put the unit back together.

4.0 out of 5 stars great machine, April 16, 2013
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
I bought this for my son on suggestion from his doctor to get a cool mist humidifier to help with his dry nose, asthma and allergies. I have had no problems with the machine. the water lasts thru the night and gives off just enough noise to filter out the noise from the rest of the house. we've been using this for 2 weeks and i must say what an improvement with my son's issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars love holmes products but not this one..., October 30, 2008
I have a lot of Holmes products, so when I was looking for a new humidifier, I purchased this one. It is so loud! On high it sounded like a snow blower at a ski resort. If you are looking to put this in a bedroom or a place where you don't want loud noise, look for a different model.

5.0 out of 5 stars best humidifier for my baby's nursery, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
I have gone through about a half dozen humidifiers, warm and cold, for both my bedroom and my 8.5 month old. I LOVE this one that we have in the baby's room now. It's cool mist which is recommended by doctors because the warm mist ones can easily grow mold that gets blow into the air.

This humidifier also doubles as a fan for background noise in my son's room, which we like, but if you're looking for one that is completely silent this might not be for you. It also happens to be one of the least expensive of the many I've tried. The water tank can hold 2 night's worth of water (depending on the level of mist you choose).

Holmes definitely makes the best humidifiers in my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
This humidifier is loud, just what I am looking for for a baby and kids room. This will be the second one I buy, and it is easy to fill, and hasn't broken like many past models I have owned. I have had it over a year, and am satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All It Claims To Be, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier HM1761-NU (Misc.)
The Holes humidifier works great. I've been using it for 2 weeks and have no problems. I would recomend this humidifier to anyone looking for a single room model.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›