on March 6, 2007
Our gas bill for heating our trailer was $300 a month, here in Wisconsin for the last 3 months. We bought TWO of these (only two!) and turned our gas furnace's thermostat down to 50 and then put one of them in the back and one in the front of the place. I don't know why people are saying the heating area is small? Maybe the fan isn't blowing much, but the two little heaters we got have actually kept our WHOLE place around 70 degrees.

Okay so yeah, I guess there was a smell when we first turned them on, but that quickly went away.

For as little as they cost I'd have to say they are definitely worth the buy. The cost in electricity is STILL far less than what we were paying for our gas bill.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had this Holmes heater for over 5 years. I rely on it during winter months for heating my master bedroom, which measures about 13' x 15'.

As with a lot of heaters, this unit may give off an offensive smell initially - If you run it for a few hours in a well ventilated area, the smell should gradually diminish and eventually cease.

The heater has 2 heat settings. Amazingly, it's able to heat up my entire bedroom at the high setting. I don't have the manual anymore, but if my memory serves me, the lower setting is 750 W and the higher setting is 1500 W. The lower setting is ideal for for providing you with localized warmth where you need it most. Although the fan isn't very strong, it does an adequate job of dispersing the heat. In freezing temperatures, it takes the unit anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to warm up an average-sized room.

The thermostat is somewhat fickle and doesn't regulate the temperature very consistently -- that's to be expected from analog thermostats on portable units like this one. I usually leave it on for extended periods anyway, and if it gets too warm, I simply turn it off.

The heater is lightweight and portable, so you can easily take it with you from room to room.

---
The Holmes Compact Ceramic Heater is very well-constructed and durable. It may compact but it's powerful enough to warm up a good-sized room. If you need a portable heater, I'd definitely recommended this one.

[Update 2013-04-28]
The heater finally conked out a couple of months ago. There was a loud pop and a puff of smoke when I turned it on -- the unit had shorted out. I've had a good run with it (almost 8 years), so I have no complaints! My next heater will undoubtedly be a Holmes!
on December 6, 2005
I returned the HCH4051 I got to go under my desk. It was a handy size, and I could probably have dealt with the rather high noise level, but I couldn't handle the smell! Even after running it full-bore for HOURS outside, it still gave off a nasty chemical odor. It smelled like pesticide, like 2,4-D or something. That was unacceptable.
on January 18, 2011
I recently discovered the source of the smell. The plastic nearest to the ceramic element is melting. This is not quality work and now is a potential source of a fire. I am currently holding on to it waiting for a recall.

I have pics if anyone would like to see the melted plastic on the heater.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2010
I bought this heater from a local hardware store and have been very happy with it even as I unpacked it and found that it was packed with recyclable pressed paper inserts instead of nasty ol' Styrofoam. The heater works wonderfully and even on the lowest setting in my old, drafty house keeps me quite toasty as I work at my desk. I like that it is very small and easily portable and will pack up and store quite nicely in the warmer months. It puts out as much heat as my big ol' "Milk barn" heater and seems to be more stable... tho the milk barn heater will shut off if it tips and this Holmes model will not... which is the only thing I don't particularly like about the unit... but it sits low and quite stable so hopefully that will never be a problem.
on January 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have to say that I was very disappointed in this. Unless you are less than a foot from the heater you aren't going to feel any of the heat that it produces.

This could never be a main heat source or be used to heat a room. This is more like extra heat in an already heated room. I find that in my office, even if the room itself is heated, my feet will get cold under my desk so this would be perfect for that purpose.

It's small and you could fit this anywhere like on a crowded desk or dresser which is really convenient. I keep a small fan on my desk at work at all times and I can do the same with this if not for the fact that it's so loud. It is very loud especially considering the small size.

To be fair, I've noticed that if I shut my bedroom door while this heater is on, I wake up to a warm room even if I went to bed cold. So it basically takes 8 hours to heat a 15x15 room but only if the door is shut to trap the heat.

If you are looking for a very small heater to heat a whole room, I would recommend a 10 inch Vornado heater. I didn't realize how good it was until I tried other heaters. The Vornados are amazing, amazing heaters. They are quiet and the outside of the unit is well made. The problem with them is that the heating element is extremely fragile and the 2 I bought both died after just about 3 months of use.

My search for the perfect heater is still going. With the Holmes heater, it is really well made, a convenient size, but it doesn't heat well. The Vornado heats well but the heating element is very cheap and unreliable.

At the end of the day, I regret purchasing the Holmes and am unhappy with it so I can't recommend it. I would highly recommend the Vornado if not for the defective heating element that dies way too quickly.
on February 2, 2008
I've had this heater for just over 3 years, and it works pretty good and heats my 10x12 room up quick, but the knobs are made from cheap plastic. One of the knobs broke after about 2 years, and I've contacted Holmes about 4 times now and no one there seem to know what the heck I'm talking about and they just keep referring me to different numbers. My heater is the exact same style as this, but it says 'Titan' instead. But the warranty card states that it's manufactured by Holmes. This frustrates me to no end, to have a heater w/ a 3 year warranty, but have the manufacturer say that they don't have the model in their system and that they can't do anything. They don't even seem willing to help in figuring the problem out. Don't you love mega-corporations. The thermostat is touchy too, and is hard to set for a particular temperature.
on April 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this heater for use at my office (under my desk) because it is usually freezing there. This little heater has saved my life. I no longer have to wear a coat while at work. My coworkers have even asked where I got it because they're freezing too and want to get one.

It has 2 dials: one for selecting fan (with no heat), fan (with heat), and stronger fan (with heat); the other dial is for controlling the temperature. I usually set the first dial on fan with heat, and the temperature dial between the first and second mark (it has 5), and that is more than enough for heating my whole cubicle.
on March 27, 2012
Although this heater may be small (about 6 in. wide, 6 in. long, and 7 in. tall), it does the job well. The strongest fan/heat setting gets really hot within seconds, and is great for a small to medium sized room. Sometimes, I even feel that it gets too warm and have to turn it down to the lowest fan setting. For the price, I think it's an excellent heater.
on March 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
I like this little heater, but I would recommend that customers be alert about some things. It is inexpensive and very compact and lightweight, yet it is a remarkable little space heater. One possible initial concern is that it is fairly fragile. If you are a little handy, it is a simple device that you can probably deal with easily, should a need arise, but if you are not at all handy, then be somewhat cautious.

When I received the heater, it was already broken. It had been packed in the corner of a box, with padding only on the internal sides, and it had apparently fallen hard during shipping; therefore, the fan motor was torn from its plastic mount. The motor mounting screws were tight, but they held on only to broken pieces of the housing. Send it back for repair? That would require more in time, trouble, and shipping than the heater cost in the first place. Instead, I took the heater apart and cemented the broken plastic back together with Loctite Plastic Bonder, a specialized super glue with primer, which I will watch to confirm that it gives a permanent bond. For the immediate future, I won't leave the heater running when I'm not in the room.

Some people have complained about the heater causing a smell. I don't see why this would happen, unless something was broken or jarred in shipment, causing wires or plastic from the case to be moved into the heat stream or to touch hot parts. When the heater is properly together, it seems to be a little gem, with its simple and economical design seeming more of an engineering victory than a liability. It takes the chill off my basement TV room nicely, the heat path is clean, the fan sound is barely noticeable, and the plastic case warms only mildly, very touchably, in a few places. My thirty year old soldering iron has a stronger smell when it heats up, and that is very mild.

If you receive this heater with all its parts in the right places, or you can get them there, then you may well appreciate this straightforward device. Once you have it, there seems no reason that much would go wrong, or that repair would be difficult, or that, in the worst case, a replacement would be unaffordable. Unfortunately, shipping may be the high moment of risk in the life cycle of this product.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations