5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Translation
Published on April 1, 2006 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Kindle Version
The NLT is my favorite translation of the Bible. I have paper copies, but, I wanted a version for my Kindle.

Unfortunately, there are two problems with it. The red letter sayings of Jesus are rendered a light gray, almost unreadable. In addition, the Chapter links are not arranged wisely. Making it difficult to navigate to certain sections.

Very...
Published on October 1, 2008 by R. Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Translation, April 1, 2006
I started reading the New Living Translation while working through an upper level course on Greek exegesis. I was simply looking for a version that emphasized a sentence-by-sentence translation as opposed to a word-for-word translation (because I was required to do this type of translating for my assignments). I was pleasantly surprised with the NLT. It is a very impressive work, and makes for very smooth reading. The translation team also made the wise decision to translate the dates in the text into their modern equivalents. So, whereas previous translations might read that a certain event happened in, say, the twelfth year of a certain king, the NLT will (based on historical data) read that it happened in "586 BC" or "on April 22nd, 722 BC" They have also done the same thing with other forms of measurement (including currency, weight, and time). This makes the events seem much easier to relate to.

For these reasons (and others too) I think this is a really good version. So, if you are looking for a translation that focuses more on the overall meaning of each sentence, and not just the meaning of each word, I heartily recommend this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Kindle Version, October 1, 2008
This review is from: Holy Bible Text Edition NLT: New Living Translation (Kindle Edition)

Very disappointed with the rendering. With some minor adjustments by the publisher, this would be an excellent addition to a Kindle library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Edition of the Word, May 1, 2007
I find that reading different translations of the Bible helps to keep it "fresh" for me and give me new insights. This NLT is one of my favorite translations for regular reading because it flows so smoothly and I discover new meanings and nuances that I did not realize in reading other versions. The "contemporary" language (things like weights, measures, time, etc.) gives it a modern immediacy that helps me to integrate it into my everyday experience in the secular world.

Several of us at my church use the NLT - and I've noticed that whenever someone reads an NLT aloud in adult Bible class, it seems like at least one other person in the room comments on what a good rendering that was, and asks "what translation is that?"

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version -- what were they thinking?, December 31, 2009
I am chiming in on the Kindle version's very unfortunate choice of gray lettering for the words of Christ. It really makes reading the gospels a labored experience, trying to discern the gray lettering on the Kindle's light gray screen background.

The obvious decision should have been to make ALL the text black. Some NLT print bibles do just that, so why wasn't that followed?

I do very much like the New Living Translation, a great balance of accuracy and readability in it's dynamic-equivalence approach to translation. It makes for a great reading Bible (versus a more literal study translation).

However, a possible work around for Kindle users is to use the NLT for everything other then the gospels. For the gospels, I would recommend The Voice New Testament, that is also a great readable translation for reading large portions of the bible at one time.

Also, if you own an iPhone, be aware that a free Kindle program is available for it so you can read all your Kindle books. The iPhone renders the words of Christ in red and the white screen background provides great contrast. The iPhone, surprisingly, isn't that bad of an e-reader and may be all you need for a bible study or class. The soon coming iPad also promises to be a great device for this type of problem with it's ability to render color like the iPhone.

Hopefully, Tyndale will get the message. (And while I am at it, I wish the Kindle Bible producers would address the issue of the superscript verse numbering that makes the line spacing very uneven and choppy. As a web designer I know that is an easy fix.)

Update: I now own an iPad and would say, for the Bible, this is the ticket. Olive Tree's NLT app is the answer to all the above mentioned problems. The Words of Christ are robustly red with an option to turn them into any color you want. The superscript verse numbers do not force the line spacing into uneven, choppy paragraphs but keeps all lines nice and consistent like your print Bible.

Best of all, the app has a very fast navigation system to find passages quickly. You'll be able to take it to a Bible study or even keep up with the pastor's sermon. Also, highlighting and note taking is the best I've seen in an eReader yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars No magnifying glass needed, November 13, 2004
Giant print Bibles can be anything from 10 to 14 point font size, so check first before you buy. This is truly in giant print; a 15 point font size! It is very easy to read without magnifying glasses.

The NLT (New Living Translation) is very easy to understand, because it's the English that's spoken today. It does not veer away from the King James version at all, in my opinion.

This Bible is attractively hard-bound, in a creamy color and texture. It resembles a school textbook, rather than the familiar leather that's common in most Bibles.

So whether it's a bookcase Bible, or a Sunday-go-to-meetin' Bible, this will do quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful work of Art, May 12, 2007
Pam Reed (My Business, USA) - See all my reviews
There's no other bible like it on earth! This bible breaks every single scripture down for clear and concise understanding. It totally reads like a book and it's so difficult for me to put it down. I love it! I highly recommend this bible to all who are ready to accept the knowledge within. This bible is a true blessing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Translation, April 1, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Holy Bible New Living Translation Red Letter Large Print (Hardcover)
As a young reader of The Bible, the NIV was really hard to understand and I found myself falling asleep reading, and getting nothing out of it. This little handy Bible is just amazing, it is written in an almost today language, it totally opened my eyes and mind to God's word. This Bible totally changed the way I feel about reading it DAILY! I love this little Bible, it's compact, easy to use and bring with you everywhere, it has a beautiful red and alligator leather bound cover, and it's gorgeous with it's gold pages. As for the stuck pages, all I had to do was bend the Bible pages one way then another and WHIOLLA in two quick seconds the beautiful gold paged Bible was ready to use, no need to separate one by one. It was no big deal, really! Yes, there is a slight transparency to the pages but you only see it where there is no lettering between chapters and paragraphs, I have two other Bibles and they are both the same exact way. Again, no biggie comparing to my eyes being open to the word of God in such a tremendous way. :)

I would recommend this product to anyone, in fact I told my husband he needs one!

Marta Joy

4.0 out of 5 stars Comment on Red Lettering, April 8, 2009
JGA (Boiling Springs, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This comment is to aid others planning to get this edition of the NLT and not to aid with an opinion of the translation itself. The words of Christ are dim but readable on the version I downloaded on April 7, 2009. However, they are very readable and I perhaps don't see this as big a draw back as others have. I look forward to reading it and comparing it to other versions of the Bible I have on the Kindle 2 presently. I agree with another reviewer that various translations keep you very interested in reading the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars NLT Bible, February 24, 2006
I was looking for a Bible easy to read for both translation and type setting. This Bible was excellent in both categories. I can now read my Bible without my eyes squinting or getting tired and read longer because the translation is in modern terms so I don't have to ponder on what the message is really saying. This would be a great Bible for new Christians who are eager to understand the word of God without constantly looking up references.

Rate and Discover Movies