5.0 out of 5 stars Up to date and terrific!
Published on November 18, 2010 by R. Danley

Published 20 months ago by barleypopmaker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Beginners Homebrewing Book, but it's not about Beersmith, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Home Brewing with BeerSmith: How to Brew and Design Great Beer at Home (Kindle Edition)
Let me preface this by saying I love beersmith and Brad's podcasts and blog are outstanding. That being said,I was a bit mislead by what the book would be, and I admit a part of that was my fault. I was expecting the book to cover some basics on brewing and mostly be a down and dirty in depth user manual for the beersmith software. After all, the title of the book is Home Brewing with Beersmith. In reality there is not a whole lot about Beersmith in the book. While I don't agree with some things in the book, for example the recommendation that using bleach and rinsing is still acceptable in homebrewing (Sanitizing and rinsing after is like washing your hands before you clean up poop. Why use bleach solution you have to rinse with when there are so many great and affordable no-rinse sanitizers available today? There is some great information for someone new to or looking into getting into homebrewing and a lot of the information is current, unlike some of the iconic brewing books by Charlie Papazian. The content is also easy to understand. I'm giving it a 3 stars rating based on the name of the book being very misleading. It felt like he was using the popularity of the software just to sell a how to brew book. He could easily have named it something more appropriate and put in there "Written by Brad Smith, creator of Beersmith" So if you were looking for nice down and dirty print version of all the ins and outs of the Beersmith Software, this book is not for you. If you want a decent how to homebrew book, then this is a good read for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to date and terrific!, November 18, 2010
R. Danley (Champaign, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I am an avid homebrewer, and own, and have read, many homebrewing books. This book has more usable tips for a homebrewer than any other book I own. Because this is a new book, the information is totally up to date. I recommend it highly for the brewer trying to up his or her game. Don't be put off by the name. The information is geared for all levels of homebrewers, and doesn't require the BeerSmith software. Of course, the author shamelessly promotes his BeerSmith software, but he should. It's excellent. If only it was available for the Macintosh.(sigh)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disapointed, February 6, 2013
Let me start by saying that I'm a huge fan of Beersmith! I use the software to design and follow up all my brews. That's why I bought his book.

The book however does not deliver what the title implies : I expected a good detailed handbook to use Beersmith but got a rather high level beginners book on homebrewing. There were some good tips available in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most useful homebrewing book!, September 21, 2013
Terry Lail (Vancouver, WA, US) - See all my reviews
I've long been a fan of the BeerSmith software and love Brad's podcasts and email articles on homebrewing. So I was excited to get this book when it came out. I hoped it would be down-to-earth useful and practical and was delighted to read through it! Unlike some of the other reviewers I was glad that it wasn't just a how-to book for using the BeerSmith program -- though that might be a good book to have from Brad too. Instead I was impressed with Brad's restraint in not pushing his software on every topic.
From beginning to end I found the information easy to understand, very useful for me in my brewing and expanding my brewing knowledge, and delightful reading. I only wish the book were bigger.
Brad touches on just about every subject in homebrewing and goes into surprising depth on some subjects such as water chemistry and water additions.
Even if you've received all of Brad's email homebrewing articles, having them compiled in this book in concise order and indexed makes it a great buy.
I own most all of the essential homebrewing books but would rate this one at the top with John Palmer's How To Brew for having good practical information for homebrewers from beginner to advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brew in a Bag Book, Kindle Version, June 12, 2013
Very instructional book on all-grain home brewing. The book includes instructions on brewing in a bag. It is searchable also which isa major pro for kindle type books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips for a beginner, January 6, 2013
As others have mentioned previously, since this is written by the author of the BeerSmith software program it's to be expected that he will be pimping his software throughout the book. It's not overly annoying, but I was really looking for less actual brewing tips since I've got more/better books on that subject. I was really hoping for a more hands-on usage guide and tips for the software, in which it is somewhat lacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick start, July 9, 2013
As I continue reading other sources I am still expanding my knowledge but I am surprised by how well this book started me into brewing and put me at a level where I can communicate with others and understand what they are telling me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The brew's the thing., March 11, 2013
H. J. Shockey (Grangeville, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
Years ago, I had gotten into extract brewing when the go-to book was Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." There is still a lot of good info in Charlie's work. But, it hasn't been updated in the last ten years. So, when I decided I needed to get back into brewing - and, to include all-grain into my plans - I looked for more current info. All trails led to John Palmer's "How to Brew" and the Beersmith software. Well, it just didn't seem right to get Beersmith without getting this accompaniment by Brad Smith.

It could have been a sort of Beersmith instruction book. I would have been happy if that's all it had been. It actually is much more than that. It turns out that Smith's software is so well supported that it doesn't really need an operators manual. I've had a ton of playing with the program and I haven't even started my comeback batch, yet. (Still building equipment.)

This book is not so much about how to use the software; but, more about what you use the software for. You can create a recipe or import one. You can take a given recipe and tweak it. The software makes it easy to do the tweaking and this book explains what your tweaks will do and what you might expect as a result. Beyond the what lies the why. Perhaps the best thing about this book is its approachability. Never mind that Smith is a Ph.D and has brewed countless batches of beer. He talks about the process in a friendly, understandable way. He even has occasion to recount times when he has gotten so caught up in the science of it all that he forgot, for a moment, it's supposed to be fun! Can you imagine?

I would have to say that every home brewer will find some indispensable knowledge in this book. And, a new brewer, in particular, must have this book and Palmer's. With these two books and properly cleaned equipment, I think it would be very difficult to make bad beer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an intermediate brewer, December 9, 2010
Petr Bachan (Andrews, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This book gave me a lot of very useful information.
Together with the program, you can design your own recipe, and check if it falls into the category of lets say English Ale by color, SG, alcohol content, etc.. Very valuable tips are scattered all over the book.
I now actually understand what the specialty grain is for, I am all excited about growing hops next year, etc
I have been brewing for one year starting with How to Brew book, which is very good. I now own a few more books, but have to say that some of them are fairly useless - recipe books for clone beer and brewing classic styles - if they mention only base malt, and "add specialty grains" - they do not say which ones, how much, all of the malting temps are the same - very generic.
On the contrary, this book is very concrete: it describes which specialty malt does what, how to mash at different temps for different body, how to hop, how to filter,and lots other tips.
Indispensable for intermediate brewer !
My best brewing book buy so far !

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of articles, August 2, 2012
The best part of this book is that it is entertaining. A little dis-jointed, but clearly states that this is a collection of articles previously published on his web site. None the less, interesting and helpful information. Not too heavy, easy to read. Recomended for beginer to intermediate brewer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›