Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Home For Christmas
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 10, 2012
This album is definitely one of their best. It... may even surpass the first Christmas album. *gasp* While the first was more solemn and traditional, this one boast of more range and spirit. Here is a rundown of the songs:

1 I'll Be Home For Christmas: Amazing. Lisa Lambe's voice puts SO much emotion into it. It seems so cozy. :)

2 Hark The Herald Angels Sing: As this has always been one of my favorites, I might be biased. But this is obviously one of the best versions out there. (Along with Jewel's version.) Their voices belnd perfectly, and the choir gives it quite the hint of celestial grace.

3. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town: Chloe is perfect for this. When it says 'Be good for goodness sake.' you can see her wagging a finger. This is one of her more mischievous songs. So fun. :)

4. Silent Night: I believe this one was on the first album, but it sounds even better now. The harmony of the music and voice is ...again... perfect. And thank goodness Meav was back!!!! (If only for the album. Oh well.)

5. We Three Kings: I honestly, was never to fond of this song. Maybe from the semi-traumatic experience of trying to learn this on the harp, or just the usual solemnity of the song... but this made me like it. It has more of an intense feeling.

6. We Wish You A Merry Christmas: OH MY GOODNESS GOLLY. I want them caroling at MY house... especially Mairead. The fiddle in this song is the best part, I swear. (Which, to a fiddler, it usually is, but hey... It's grand, kay?)

7. What Child Is This: Also one of my favorites, Meav sings this amazingly. Her voice has such a range that you manage to have that puppy-eyed-kid-in-candy-shop look for the whole entire song.

8. Adeste Fideles: Latin, I believe, for 'O Come All Ye Faithful.' Chloe sings this one, and it is the right song for her. She sounds extremely majestic singing in Latin. Gotta love it. :)

(I put a lot of smiley faces, don't I??? Hmmm...) SCOWLY FACE!!! .... Not possible on a Celtic Woman review.

9. Winter Wonderland: Another favorite... I never run out... This is sung, probably the best I have ever heard. The beginning, when they are whispering, and then reach a semi-climax, is AWESOME.

10. Mary's Boy Child: I had never heard this one before. But it struck a chord, as it manages to clearly tell the true 'meaning of Christmas.' I love this one, and their voices blend seamlessly.

11. Auld Lang Syne: (Roughly translating to 'For Old Time's Sake') Now possibly a top favorite. Lisa Lambe sings with the perfect degree of nostalgia and sweetness that it is.... ahhhh... (Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat....)

12. Joy To The World: OH MY GAWSH. The ORCHESTRA.... the voices... the fiddle....
*dies*
*sits back up, furiously typing*
This is work of art in itself.

Just get it. Get it right now. It... is awesome. Superb. Amazing.. PERFECT.
Celtic Woman's latest CD, their second holiday album entitled "Home for Christmas," has nothing but the very best of holiday music and I'm very impressed. This is my very first Celtic Woman album and it certainly won't be my last! Chloë Agnew, Lisa Lambe, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha all sing wonderfully; and Máiréad Nesbitt plays the fiddle just about better than anyone! The quality of the sound is excellent and even the artwork is terrific.

There's not a bad cut on the CD; this music is all THAT good! "I'll Be Home for Christmas" charms me with its beauty; Lisa Lambe sings this with great sensitivity and the music fits in perfectly with her vocals. "Hark The Herald Angels Sing" is another special number; I really like that choir, too! "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" has a fine arrangement; Chloë never lets go of a single superfluous note and that's grand. "Silent Night" couldn't have been done any better; and "We Three Kings" is lovely. "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" features Chloë Agnew, Lisa Lambe and Méav Ní Mhaolchatha harmonizing at their usual very best and fiddler Máiréad Nesbitt does a great job to enhance the ballad even more.

"What Child Is This" is very poignant to say the least; and "Adeste Fideles" features Chloë singing this in Latin to make it very memorable. "Winter Wonderland" is yet another gem and the splendid "Mary's Boy Child" is easy on the ear. "Auld Lang Syne" adds a real touch of nostalgia to the track set and the album ends with a magnificent version of "Joy to the World" complete with orchestra! It leaves me wanting more!

"Home for Christmas" is one of those very rare Christmastime albums that will always sound pleasant at any time of the year. This is a must-have for fans of Celtic Woman; and people who appreciate superb holiday music will not be disappointed. Catch them live in concert if you can; I certainly intend to do so!
on November 21, 2012
I have every Celtic Woman CD, so I've obviously been a fan from the outset. However, they've never been able to recreate the magic of that first album. And as many others have noted, they do recycle a great number of songs on each successive CD. This Christmas album is worth purchasing, but their attempt to inject Irish musicality into the classic standards is becoming redundant. Some of the songs just sound rushed to market, with smooth melding of Irish musicality becoming an afterthought.
This album is great ambient Christmas music for a home or party; just don't expect it to be another breakthrough album of magical Celtic Woman tunes.
1515 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
Those who love to listen to the beautiful lilting voices of Chloe, Lisa, and Meav, not to mention the brilliant and inspired fiddling of Mairead, will gladly add this CD to their treasured Celtic Woman collection. The songs are traditional Christmas carols familiar to any American and don't really try for much of a "Celtic sound", unless you count the occasional pipes in the background, or Mairead's fiddle dashing in and out. But the songs are beautifully done and will add more joy to anyone's holiday. One thing that I always regret about the CW CDs is that you can't see Mairead cavorting about the stage like a beautiful pixie. See them in person and she's the one that will capture your attention and your heart.
on November 12, 2014
Sandy Patty could fit in this group real easily. It sounded like her on many of these songs. It's a good, but not great Christmas album because of the similarity of the sound all across the songs and the lack of emotion in the voices..
on August 10, 2013
I love it. I am so glad I got this CD. It has Maeve, Chloe, Lisa Lamb, and Mairead. Its wonderful. I am such a grand Celtic Woman fan and now I have all the original music cds and the DVDs. I am so thrilled to have this in my collection.
on February 22, 2015
This is one of my favorite Christmas traditions! We heard Celtic Woman on a PBS broadcast several years back and realized over the last few years how we find ourselves searching for their annual shows. Beautiful harmonies from talented musicians just seem to be part of the season for us now. Their musicianship is phenomenal. The show is terrific overall, but it would be nothing without their voices and MS. Maeve's fiddle! I would highly recommend this album for anyone searching for a new Christmas favorite!
on April 23, 2015
It is a very good Christmas album. It is a very good Celtic Woman album. Standouts include Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, We Three Kings, and What Child is This. I would have liked a stronger Celtic influence in the music. Still the arrangements can be breathtakingly beautiful. I think fans of Christmas music or of Celtic music will enjoy this CD.
on November 14, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Celtic Woman so that may color my review a tad. I've got every CD they've made and this is a very nice addition. I miss Lisa Kelly on this disc, but the other members are very good. If you like Celtic Woman then buy the disc. You won't be disappointed.
on March 21, 2013
I first heard them on public TV and fell in love. They are so gracious, beautiful an sing like angels. My husband and I got to see them in concert in Norfolk, VA and it was wonderful. If you like this type of music you'll love Celtic Women. My husband is so wonderful, he also took me to Ireland last October and I fell in love with everything about it. Well the driving on the wrong side of the road takes a bit of getting use to but the people are soooooo nice. Love Americans, the leaves were changing but the landscape was green and flowers were blooming. The seafood is to die for. I honestly think that if I wanted to move to another country just for say 2 years to experience the life there it would be Ireland. Anyone that has an opportunity to go, please do so-you won't be disappointed. We also lost our Ipad and thought it was gone for good. The day after we got home the rental car company called to ask if we were missing anything and sent it right back to us, and never even looked inside. That's now nice they really are.