Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Home for Christmas
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

Home for Christmas tells the story of a naughty troll who doesn't want to do his chores. After a brief visit to some other families (owls,otters, moose, and bears), he learns that his family was pretty great after all! When he learns his lesson and loses his tail, something that happens to all GOOD, helpful little trolls, he joins his family for a lavish Christmas celebration that is beautifully illustrated with Brett's trademark detail.

It's impossible to look at a Jan Brett creation and not marvel at the artistic skill on display. The illustrations for Home for Christmas are as beautiful as ever, with enough sidebars, embellishments and flourishes to keep kids coming back for more. Unfortunately the storytelling is not all that spectacular or original, so this is not one of my Brett favorites. Our troll learns a good lesson, and it is a heartwarming tale for Christmas, but it just didn't have the impact I was expecting. This is a must have for the Brett enthusiasts out there, just not my first choice for Christmas.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
We bought this at a Jan Brett book signing and haven't stopped reading it since. My almost-4-year-old asks me to read this to her at least twice a day! She really identifies with Rollo and wants to be a troll for next Halloween. We love looking at the pictures and the beautiful insets for which Jan Brett is famous. "It has wonderful illustrations and perfect storytelling" (from my 7 year old). "What I like about it is that I really love the pictures - they're so beautiful" (from my 3 year old). Our favorite bits: check out the pig's ear-hat and the cat's toy at the end. A definite warm-hearted must for the holiday season!
on November 11, 2011
This is the charming story of Rollo, a naughty young troll, who runs away from home in order to evade his chores, has some wonderful adventures with a variety of northern animals, and learns the value of family and kindness. The story closes with a beautiful Scandinavian Christmas celebration. Each page is rich with detail and brings alive its Swedish folklore setting. It's also a wonderful introduction to the lives of northern animals: owls, bears, otters, lynx, and moose.

Jan Brett's illustrations are as magnificent as ever. Each page has an intricate birchbark "frame," with smaller pictures tucked into the side of the frame which point to other parts of the story. They're perfect illustrations for allowing the child to help tell the story: much of the detail one notices in the illustrations isn't repeated in the text. While the storyline is more predictable than The Hat or The Mitten, it's charming and good for reading aloud.

Curl up with your child and some mugs of cider and enjoy this book together on a long winter evening.
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2011
I'm a huge fan of Ms. Brett. Her artwork is fantastic and so full of living detail. In this book, she teaches the lesson that everyone needs to help at home to make things work right. When the little boy decides that it would be nicer to run away from home than have to do chores, he finds out that it's not that easy on your own. Brett's books usually always have a main storyline going on across two pages and the sub-story going on in the pictures in the margins. I don't actually buy these books for kids anymore as much as I collect them for myself. This is a must have for every child and child-at-heart on your Christmas list. Fall in love with Jan Brett like I have and you'll have to get all her books, too.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2011
What I like about the book: I loved the illustrations. I always love Brett's illustrations. Not only is Home For Christmas full of Brett's trademark illustrations it also contains a valuable lesson on kindness and responsibility. In true picture book fashion, as much of the story is told in the pictures as in the text. We see Rollo's adventures in the main pictures and text while seeing his family's story in the heart shaped vignettes included in the borders of the pages. This is a great holiday picture book for readers of all ages.

What I didn't like about the book: LOVED it all!

Recommended for pre-school and up.

AR Reading Level: Not an AR book as of November 28, 2011

Mrs. Archer's rating: 5 of 5! I have already added this to my next book order for the school library.
on June 9, 2013
We received this book when my now 3 year old was 2 1/2. It has been her choice for a good night story since we got it! My five year old also loves it. In fact, I do too: I havn't gotten tired of it yet. We like the different animals that Rollo meets along the way. There is some information about how each animals lives, eats or shelters. We enjoy the details and interesting drawings, that are so alive.

Most importatnly, the story sends a wonderful message about family and the work it takes ALL OF US to do, to make a house a home. My kids have chores, just like I do, no allowance, no praise: we all have to work to make it happen. Home for Christmas makes it clear that a house is a happy home when we all work together.
on December 12, 2012
What can I say...children love Jan Brett's stories & exquisite detailed watercolors. Tells the story in pictures & poetic words beautifully. Added to my collection that started for my grand-daughter & continue for her daughter.
on December 28, 2015
I got this book to use in my classroom and to read with my grandson. It is a really cute story about a troll who doesn't like to do chores at home and he often misbehaves so he hasn't lost his tail like good trolls do. He decides to leave home and do his own thing but he soon finds that it is not all he hoped it would be and wants to be home for Christmas. It has beautiful illustrations and teaches a good lesson on doing your part.
on December 28, 2011
I'm a big fan of Jan Brett's books. Her illustrations are absolutely incredible!
I especially love the way she shows what's happening next , with her side illustrations.
Home for Christmas is a cleverly written story. The illustrations did not disappoint.
Children will delight in both the story and illustrations!
on January 24, 2013
I love Jan Brett Books! They are so beautiful! There is so much to look @ on every page. I keep seeing something new! One of the things I enjoy as a grandmother is reading to my granddaughters, especially around Christmas. This was easy when we lived close to each other, but now we've moved :^(. I bought each one a book "Home for Christmas" / "The Hat" / Gingerbread Baby. I won't be there to read to them like I want to, but they will have the books. I'm big on Traditions!