5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop reading this...
Published on November 11, 2011 by Bibliophile

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic illustrations, just okay storytelling
Published on November 6, 2011 by J.Prather

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic illustrations, just okay storytelling, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
Home for Christmas tells the story of a naughty troll who doesn't want to do his chores. After a brief visit to some other families (owls,otters, moose, and bears), he learns that his family was pretty great after all! When he learns his lesson and loses his tail, something that happens to all GOOD, helpful little trolls, he joins his family for a lavish Christmas celebration that is beautifully illustrated with Brett's trademark detail.

It's impossible to look at a Jan Brett creation and not marvel at the artistic skill on display. The illustrations for Home for Christmas are as beautiful as ever, with enough sidebars, embellishments and flourishes to keep kids coming back for more. Unfortunately the storytelling is not all that spectacular or original, so this is not one of my Brett favorites. Our troll learns a good lesson, and it is a heartwarming tale for Christmas, but it just didn't have the impact I was expecting. This is a must have for the Brett enthusiasts out there, just not my first choice for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop reading this..., November 11, 2011
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
We bought this at a Jan Brett book signing and haven't stopped reading it since. My almost-4-year-old asks me to read this to her at least twice a day! She really identifies with Rollo and wants to be a troll for next Halloween. We love looking at the pictures and the beautiful insets for which Jan Brett is famous. "It has wonderful illustrations and perfect storytelling" (from my 7 year old). "What I like about it is that I really love the pictures - they're so beautiful" (from my 3 year old). Our favorite bits: check out the pig's ear-hat and the cat's toy at the end. A definite warm-hearted must for the holiday season!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated winter tale, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
This is the charming story of Rollo, a naughty young troll, who runs away from home in order to evade his chores, has some wonderful adventures with a variety of northern animals, and learns the value of family and kindness. The story closes with a beautiful Scandinavian Christmas celebration. Each page is rich with detail and brings alive its Swedish folklore setting. It's also a wonderful introduction to the lives of northern animals: owls, bears, otters, lynx, and moose.

Jan Brett's illustrations are as magnificent as ever. Each page has an intricate birchbark "frame," with smaller pictures tucked into the side of the frame which point to other parts of the story. They're perfect illustrations for allowing the child to help tell the story: much of the detail one notices in the illustrations isn't repeated in the text. While the storyline is more predictable than The Hat or The Mitten, it's charming and good for reading aloud.

Curl up with your child and some mugs of cider and enjoy this book together on a long winter evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Illustrations, November 28, 2011
Beverly L. Archer (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
What I like about the book: I loved the illustrations. I always love Brett's illustrations. Not only is Home For Christmas full of Brett's trademark illustrations it also contains a valuable lesson on kindness and responsibility. In true picture book fashion, as much of the story is told in the pictures as in the text. We see Rollo's adventures in the main pictures and text while seeing his family's story in the heart shaped vignettes included in the borders of the pages. This is a great holiday picture book for readers of all ages.

What I didn't like about the book: LOVED it all!

Recommended for pre-school and up.

AR Reading Level: Not an AR book as of November 28, 2011

Mrs. Archer's rating: 5 of 5! I have already added this to my next book order for the school library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jan Brett scores again!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Ms. Brett. Her artwork is fantastic and so full of living detail. In this book, she teaches the lesson that everyone needs to help at home to make things work right. When the little boy decides that it would be nicer to run away from home than have to do chores, he finds out that it's not that easy on your own. Brett's books usually always have a main storyline going on across two pages and the sub-story going on in the pictures in the margins. I don't actually buy these books for kids anymore as much as I collect them for myself. This is a must have for every child and child-at-heart on your Christmas list. Fall in love with Jan Brett like I have and you'll have to get all her books, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite book with an important message, June 9, 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
We received this book when my now 3 year old was 2 1/2. It has been her choice for a good night story since we got it! My five year old also loves it. In fact, I do too: I havn't gotten tired of it yet. We like the different animals that Rollo meets along the way. There is some information about how each animals lives, eats or shelters. We enjoy the details and interesting drawings, that are so alive.

Most importatnly, the story sends a wonderful message about family and the work it takes ALL OF US to do, to make a house a home. My kids have chores, just like I do, no allowance, no praise: we all have to work to make it happen. Home for Christmas makes it clear that a house is a happy home when we all work together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children love Jan Brett, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
What can I say...children love Jan Brett's stories & exquisite detailed watercolors. Tells the story in pictures & poetic words beautifully. Added to my collection that started for my grand-daughter & continue for her daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
I'm a Jan Brett fan and I always love her books. I love the pictures and the stories are always fun, or inspiring, or have a message without being boring. She doesn't disappoint in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Jan Brett!, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
If you have a school-age child, then you have probably heard of and read Jan Brett books. Teachers love her books! The artwork is amazing with so much detail. Her books need to be savored, turning the pages slowly and making sure you see everything going on in all of the borders. Home for Christmas is a cute story about a little troll name Rollo who doesn't want to do chores. He hasn't lost his tail yet, because he needs to do his chores and be kind and helpful. Brett takes us on a journey through the Arctic North of Sweden (where she travelled to do research to write this book) with Rollo, as he meets new animal friends, and comes to realize that he wants to be home with his family for Christmas. It was fun having the kids identify the animals as Rollo met them. And I can't reiterate enough how beautiful the illustrations are. Definitely a worthwhile holiday read!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Home for Christmas", January 9, 2012
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Hardcover)
Jan Brett delievers another great story with beautiful pictures. My family still buys all of her books even though everyone has grown up!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Home for Christmas
Home for Christmas by Jan Brett (Hardcover - November 1, 2011)
$17.99 $10.47