5.0 out of 5 stars An Accessible Cookbook by a High End Chef
Published on January 15, 2012 by DNH@UNC

1.0 out of 5 stars Gack.......
I had a sinking feeling I wasn't going to like this guy -- or his cookbook -- on reading the initial sentence of his book. "On my first drive up to Waccabuc, a rural town in upstate New York, I told my wife, Marja, that I probably wouldn't like the place. We had decided to buy a weekend home .... I had assumed we would find a house in the Hamptons. I love the...
Published 23 months ago by Dee Manding

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Accessible Cookbook by a High End Chef, January 15, 2012
DNH@UNC (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes (Hardcover)
This cookbook is beautiful, and the few recipes I have cooked from it so far have been delicious and surprisingly easy to prepare. Even though Vongerichten is a big name chef, these recipes really are geared toward the home cook - the ingredients are relatively easy to track down, and the preparations, for the most part, are not especially complicated. The book's recipes are also pretty unique, so it is worth having even if you already own lots of cookbooks. If you tend to shop at farmers' markets or get produce from a CSA farm, you will find this especially useful, as it contains plenty of recipes for vegetables. The quinoa with spinach, mushrooms, and goat cheese is very quick and very tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet Elegant, December 11, 2011
Susan B (Santa Fe, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I am an avid cookbook collector and I tend to read them like novels. Jean-Georges has so much to share with the culinary world with this latest contribution. The recipes are clear and easy to follow. Every one I have tried so far has been excellent. There are also anecdotes into his life that are charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, January 19, 2012
Hanna Davis "hannabell" (orange county, california) - See all my reviews
Having bought too many cookbooks that looked good while browsing, only to have many of them sit on a shelf, I now check them out from a library first. I expected another overwrought chefs cookbook but was delighted by the simplicity and the inspired seasonings. So, I have no choice now but to buy it, sigh...

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes for nutritious food, December 16, 2011
I will admit that I've only made the butternut squash with balsamic vinegar and panko topping, but wow, was it good. I feel a little silly admitting that I didn't know you could eat butternut squash seeds, but they really added to the topping. And the whole thing was a pretty healthy side for a nice piece of fish. I have my eye on several other vegetable recipes and some of the desserts. The main entrees look a little more difficult than the other recipes in the book, but I'll probably get around to trying those, too. Beautiful pictures, and a beautiful book.

3/29/12 - Update: I made the fettuccine with Meyer lemon cream sauce the other night... WOW. Normally any sort of alfredo sauce makes the whole dish heavy and fatty, but the Meyer lemon really cut through all of that and made it surprisingly light and refreshing. I definitely recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook, January 17, 2012
Wonderful cookbook. Great pictures and easy (or at least most) recipes to follow. Tried the asparagus with shaved parm cheese with lemon zest. Big hit in my family. Also, the mac and cheese is to die for.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you just read the names of some of these recipes, you will want this book, September 8, 2013
The movie was a block away, we were already at ABC Carpet, we had an hour --- why not have a quick dinner at ABC Kitchen?

For so-called sophisticates, we were rubes. We knew that Jean-Georges Vongerichten had hit New York as a prodigy: head chef of Lafayette at 29. That his restaurant, Jean George, was one of five restaurants in New York to have been awarded three stars by Michelin. And that, as Sam Sifton wrote in The Times, his empire was growing so fast he had opened "roughly 6,000 restaurants... on Earth and other planets in the last year."

ABC Kitchen, we imagined, was a casual restaurant. Well, for all its apparent informality, it's quite serious about its mission: "regionally-grown, organically focused cuisine that is rooted in cultivating a safe relationship with the environment and our table. "Or as Sam Sifton translated: "ABC Kitchen represents fantasy, wealth without guilt, socially responsible hedonism. Resistance is futile. Obey."

As we took seats at the bar --- our new discovery: sit at the bar --- we had no idea that a casual restaurant could be this good. Just reading the menu was a thrill. With difficulty (and with guidance from a bartender who had come to work at ABC Kitchen because he'd been spending a fortune here as a diner), we chose sweet corn with cotijac cheese and lime ($11), grilled maitake mushrooms with goat cheese and Fresno pepper vinaigrette ($12) household ricotta ravioli with herbs and tomato sauce ($15 for four, $23 for six) and roast carrot and avocado salad with crunchy seeds, souu cream and citrus ($16).

One of the all-time great meals? Yes, but that's a cliché. Better to offer specific praise: Although we chose small plates, we were completely satisfied --- indeed, we would have dishonored the meal if we'd munched popcorn at the multiplex.

That night, we learned that Jean-Georges writes cookbooks --- most recently, "Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes." The introduction is a revelation: three decades of l6-hour days, 6 days a week in restaurants. At 50, he buys a country house with a big kitchen and makes a monumental decision: He'll take two days off each week. Naturally, on weekends, he cooks with and for his family.

It is crucial that you understand that this master's idea of "home cooking" is not yours. Yes, there are simple, easy dishes you can knock off in a few minutes. But as a general rule: what is simple for Jean-Georges is a dish you'd cook for company --- many of these recipes require more ingredients and more time than the title suggests.

Worth it? The names will help you decide. Pea soup with carrots, chiles and mint. A mac and cheese --- quite simple, really --- with five cheeses. Pistachio pesto. Parmesan-crusted chicken --- amazingly easy. Pork chops with cherry mustard. Pan-roasted green beans with golden almonds. Cumin and citrus roasted carrots. Bittersweet chocolate Chantilly.

Can you resist? I couldn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as inspiring as his other books, but glad I bought it., December 24, 2012
I own all of his cookbooks - and must say that I find his recipes with an Asian touch most inspiring. It is a good addition to his collection of cookbooks. When I can't think of anything to cook for a few friends who stop by, I will use this one for easy recipes with easily accessible ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Cooking with Jean-George - Elegant Simplicity, December 11, 2012
Shoe Lover (New York City) - See all my reviews
Home Cooking with Jean Georges exceeds expectations. The most delicious food, in easy to follow recipes, with elegant presentations and beautiful photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Interesting Twists on Old Favorites, June 8, 2013
What a fun cookbook! I really enjoyed the peeks into his and his family's life.
Sometimes it's just being reminded of something we like but haven't had in a while...like the artichokes w/vinaigrette. Other times, it's something that perhaps I should have thought of, but never did...like summer squash w/Parmesan, and the tip to roast it on a rack to let the moisture drain so the pieces become crispy.

I also enjoyed varied ingredients, but focusing on home cooking the way I like to do it.

Recommended for all cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars just buy it!, May 1, 2013
This is my go to book these days, which is surprising to me since it is somewhat limited in it's selection. Yes, it has all the sections you would expect (appetizers, salads, fish, chicken, etc...), just each section isn't that big. Honestly, it doesn't matter because each recipe is so excellent everyone of them is a keeper - can't say that about most cook books. I have made at least half of the recipes in the book and truly loved each one. Unlike most of Jean-George's stuff, these are pretty simple preparations and most ingredients are easy to find. Whenever I make something from it, people ask for the recipe. I have purchased several of these as gifts as well.

If you have had the pleasure of eating at ABC Kitchen in NYC in the past year or so you will recognize many of the dishes as they are straight off the menu and often easier to make than you might guess.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes
Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes by Jean-Georges Vongerichten (Hardcover - November 1, 2011)
$40.00 $25.69