Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 15, 2012
This cookbook is beautiful, and the few recipes I have cooked from it so far have been delicious and surprisingly easy to prepare. Even though Vongerichten is a big name chef, these recipes really are geared toward the home cook - the ingredients are relatively easy to track down, and the preparations, for the most part, are not especially complicated. The book's recipes are also pretty unique, so it is worth having even if you already own lots of cookbooks. If you tend to shop at farmers' markets or get produce from a CSA farm, you will find this especially useful, as it contains plenty of recipes for vegetables. The quinoa with spinach, mushrooms, and goat cheese is very quick and very tasty.
on January 19, 2012
Having bought too many cookbooks that looked good while browsing, only to have many of them sit on a shelf, I now check them out from a library first. I expected another overwrought chefs cookbook but was delighted by the simplicity and the inspired seasonings. So, I have no choice now but to buy it, sigh...
on December 11, 2011
I am an avid cookbook collector and I tend to read them like novels. Jean-Georges has so much to share with the culinary world with this latest contribution. The recipes are clear and easy to follow. Every one I have tried so far has been excellent. There are also anecdotes into his life that are charming.
on December 16, 2011
I will admit that I've only made the butternut squash with balsamic vinegar and panko topping, but wow, was it good. I feel a little silly admitting that I didn't know you could eat butternut squash seeds, but they really added to the topping. And the whole thing was a pretty healthy side for a nice piece of fish. I have my eye on several other vegetable recipes and some of the desserts. The main entrees look a little more difficult than the other recipes in the book, but I'll probably get around to trying those, too. Beautiful pictures, and a beautiful book.

3/29/12 - Update: I made the fettuccine with Meyer lemon cream sauce the other night... WOW. Normally any sort of alfredo sauce makes the whole dish heavy and fatty, but the Meyer lemon really cut through all of that and made it surprisingly light and refreshing. I definitely recommend this one.
on May 1, 2013
This is my go to book these days, which is surprising to me since it is somewhat limited in it's selection. Yes, it has all the sections you would expect (appetizers, salads, fish, chicken, etc...), just each section isn't that big. Honestly, it doesn't matter because each recipe is so excellent everyone of them is a keeper - can't say that about most cook books. I have made at least half of the recipes in the book and truly loved each one. Unlike most of Jean-George's stuff, these are pretty simple preparations and most ingredients are easy to find. Whenever I make something from it, people ask for the recipe. I have purchased several of these as gifts as well.

If you have had the pleasure of eating at ABC Kitchen in NYC in the past year or so you will recognize many of the dishes as they are straight off the menu and often easier to make than you might guess.
VINE VOICEon February 25, 2013
Jean-Georges tells us that this is the simple fare he likes to prepare for himself and his extended family when he is not tending to his international restaurant empire, and we have no reason to disbelieve him.

And the recipes are indeed simple, some, like turkey and bacon sandwiches, and bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese, embarrassingly so. However, the majority of the recipes are for savoury, easily prepared dishes, often with a burst of innovation such as an oriental spice or fruit here and a touch of lavender there. And the photographs are lovely.

Surely, this attractive book will inspire the home cook at any level of competence to head to the kitchen and cook something delicious. That is the highest praise for any cookbook.
on September 8, 2013
The movie was a block away, we were already at ABC Carpet, we had an hour --- why not have a quick dinner at ABC Kitchen?

For so-called sophisticates, we were rubes. We knew that Jean-Georges Vongerichten had hit New York as a prodigy: head chef of Lafayette at 29. That his restaurant, Jean George, was one of five restaurants in New York to have been awarded three stars by Michelin. And that, as Sam Sifton wrote in The Times, his empire was growing so fast he had opened "roughly 6,000 restaurants... on Earth and other planets in the last year."

ABC Kitchen, we imagined, was a casual restaurant. Well, for all its apparent informality, it's quite serious about its mission: "regionally-grown, organically focused cuisine that is rooted in cultivating a safe relationship with the environment and our table. "Or as Sam Sifton translated: "ABC Kitchen represents fantasy, wealth without guilt, socially responsible hedonism. Resistance is futile. Obey."

As we took seats at the bar --- our new discovery: sit at the bar --- we had no idea that a casual restaurant could be this good. Just reading the menu was a thrill. With difficulty (and with guidance from a bartender who had come to work at ABC Kitchen because he'd been spending a fortune here as a diner), we chose sweet corn with cotijac cheese and lime ($11), grilled maitake mushrooms with goat cheese and Fresno pepper vinaigrette ($12) household ricotta ravioli with herbs and tomato sauce ($15 for four, $23 for six) and roast carrot and avocado salad with crunchy seeds, souu cream and citrus ($16).

One of the all-time great meals? Yes, but that's a cliché. Better to offer specific praise: Although we chose small plates, we were completely satisfied --- indeed, we would have dishonored the meal if we'd munched popcorn at the multiplex.

That night, we learned that Jean-Georges writes cookbooks --- most recently, "Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: My Favorite Simple Recipes." The introduction is a revelation: three decades of l6-hour days, 6 days a week in restaurants. At 50, he buys a country house with a big kitchen and makes a monumental decision: He'll take two days off each week. Naturally, on weekends, he cooks with and for his family.

It is crucial that you understand that this master's idea of "home cooking" is not yours. Yes, there are simple, easy dishes you can knock off in a few minutes. But as a general rule: what is simple for Jean-Georges is a dish you'd cook for company --- many of these recipes require more ingredients and more time than the title suggests.

Worth it? The names will help you decide. Pea soup with carrots, chiles and mint. A mac and cheese --- quite simple, really --- with five cheeses. Pistachio pesto. Parmesan-crusted chicken --- amazingly easy. Pork chops with cherry mustard. Pan-roasted green beans with golden almonds. Cumin and citrus roasted carrots. Bittersweet chocolate Chantilly.

Can you resist? I couldn't.
on January 17, 2012
Wonderful cookbook. Great pictures and easy (or at least most) recipes to follow. Tried the asparagus with shaved parm cheese with lemon zest. Big hit in my family. Also, the mac and cheese is to die for.
on December 24, 2012
I own all of his cookbooks - and must say that I find his recipes with an Asian touch most inspiring. It is a good addition to his collection of cookbooks. When I can't think of anything to cook for a few friends who stop by, I will use this one for easy recipes with easily accessible ingredients.
on June 5, 2014
As an experienced cook, I can appreciate that this man takes his seriously advanced skills for granted. He effortlessly turns out these amazing dishes as if it were nothing at all. I have learned to tweak the recipes to suit my own home cooking. Sometimes he obviously just estimates on the quantities he's using. However, there's a lot to be learned from cooking from these recipes.