5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for a young person
Published on December 29, 2010 by ALLENthusiasm247

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly What I Expected
I expected a book with old time solutions to 21st century problems, which is how the book was advertised. I had hoped that there would be old reprints from Home Economics textbooks, as well as commentary on how women from that time viewed their role and their jobs as homemakers and wives.

nope. I got a cute little pocket sized book, entertaining for short...
Published on May 26, 2011 by K. Varraso

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for a young person, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household (Hardcover)
I recently sat down with my grandmother and asked her what college was like for her. She explained to me that she was a Home Economics major, which surprised me. I asked her what she learned and I must admit that I was jealous of her knowledge. I began a hunt for classic home economics books that may have been used in one of her classes. After a long search, I discovered that this little book perfectly represents everything that traditional home economics books taught. It is a beautiful compilation of classic concepts that many young people need to learn. As a college student, I love this book because it teaches me everything that I never learned. I would recommend this for young adults that want to learn all of the little things that no one ever taught us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Economics:Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household, April 3, 2011
I loved this book! I am a stay at home Mom with an attraction for domestic bliss. I skipped over the cooking section of this book as any older cook book can teach the reader how to make bread, etc.. What I needed help with was cleaning. I hate cleaning but love a clean house. I found the advice to be very complete and pointed out areas of cleaning that I had never thought of before. I found the overall advise of the book to be thorough and fun. Homemaking is my job and my vocation, I want to do a good job and to be joyful about it. I found this book to be very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Ec Revisited!!!, October 30, 2010
This book includes all that our children are missing at school - and even at home - unfortunately in this day and age, homes are not run as they used to be. Home Economics is a thing of the past. Sure there are a handful of classes and parents that teach a few skills - but, this has a little of everything. Great tool for me as a mom to use to guide my daughter and son with the proper tools (that I may have forgotten to mention) for their future. I bought an extra one and plan on getting more as gifts! These would make great gifts for graduates, brides etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable and practical, August 10, 2010
I saw this book reviewed in Coutnry Living magazine and had to have it. It's cute and useful too. I like the retro look with the old-timey illustrations. I thought it would be just a fun read but I've found it to be really good information, especially the sections on laundry and cleaning. I'm going to pick up a few more to give as gifts for friends too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly What I Expected, May 26, 2011

nope. I got a cute little pocket sized book, entertaining for short periods, but not a real commentary on women in times past. It's too bad, because by looking at the former roles of women, it helps me understand my role as a wife, mother and yes, homemaker (um make that home manager).

If you want entertaining, and a cute book, by all means purchase this book. If you're looking for something that feels important, or helps you look at your way of managing a home compared to our mothers and grandmothers and how they viewed their job, keep looking. This isn't it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Vintage" ideas on home EC for today's woman, May 7, 2011
I love this book! It has ideas on how to save money, recipes, sewing, organizing, cleaning and how to be a lady. All the tips are still applicable today and what's even better is that they use very basic materials, for example for cleaning, most of the mixture consists of baking soda, vinegar and borax. All eco friendly and budget friendly materials - none of the fancy brand name cleaning agents that are on the shelves today, but just as effective. I assume these are the things that they used to teach at home EC back in the days ( I didn't have home EC in school). It inspired me to try to organize my house better. I made my husband read it too since we both work and we both do the household chores. Old fashioned ideas for the modern family. A very charming book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned book to be enjoyed by you and your friends., August 16, 2010
Bought this book for a friend and made the mistake of reading it. Bought one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first site!, December 31, 2010
Kara (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This book is cute!! It's small in size, about half the size you think it would be. Small writing. Which, neither was a problem for me! And it's old time advice and help in a modernized way! After getting this I showed my bookworm mother, and she pulled out a book similar but it was my Great, Great Grandmothers from 1908! It has generally the same stuff, but I would still stick with this book, because I can only imagine the things people used to do to food or clothing, that we've found out isn't the greatest.

This is the perfect book for someone you know who's planning on being a Housewife / Stay at home Mom. It brings you back to how it used to be. And sometimes how it ought to be. Very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little companion to help you get started, June 7, 2013
I hated home Ec at school. In fact I failed it. This little book rekindled some long forgotten skills and renewed my interest in running my house properly. Its not too detailed and its very old school but an enjoyable little guide to get you started in taking care of your home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought it would have been more detailed, June 30, 2012
I was surprised at how much smaller it was then I expected.Wish it would have been more detailed. The book seem real simple , not in a vintage way but just in a basic way .I like it for the price(used) but would probably use this more for a school lesson , rather than someone whom is just married or married for years trying to get the swing of things.It was sweet but would have like more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›