4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read
I was a little hesitant purchasing this title. I've enjoyed the author's fantasy novels and Home Front is a departure from that genre. I was pleased to find that I fell right into this story and never looked back.
Published on March 10, 2003 by D. Commandatore

2.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the good writers gone?
Published on May 30, 2003 by ratthing

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, March 10, 2003
D. Commandatore (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
Not only does it have a great opening line that hooks the reader immediately, the protagonist is highly likable (in a crotchety kind of way). Those familiar with Mr. Rosenberg's "Keepers of the Hidden Ways" series will recognize many of the colorful residents of Hardwood, ND. I enjoyed seeing Doc Sherve and Jeff Bjerke again.
One of the things I enjoyed most was the dichotomy between the ways of Hardwood and the attitudes of Minneapolis.
The story ended a little abruptly, for my taste, but left me wanting to hear more about this great cast of characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best opening line I've ever read., February 27, 2003
Bob Anderson (I'm in an airport lounge at the moment. They're all the same, and all dreary.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
"Thirty years later, the phone rang."
I am, of course, a great fan of Joel Rosenberg's books, and this one is even more terrific than usual. Ernest "Sparky" Hemingway is one of the most intriguing characters in detective fiction, and each and every one of his friends and neighbors seems to jump off the page.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Credible fun, April 12, 2003
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
As a recovering Midwesterner, I was fascinated by the depth and accuracy with which Rosenberg shows small-town life on the plains.
And then there's the characters. Small towns are filled with characters, and Ernest "Sparky" Hemingway is as fun a curmudgeon as you'll ever find.
My only criticism of this book is that the sequel isn't out yet. There will be a sequel, I hope? Many of them, if Rosenberg can maintain this level of quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, August 29, 2006
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
I really like this book so much so I went and bought the second before I finish this book.

Yes the bit with famous names is over done, but then all the good series have some points that are well just kind of in jokes with the reader. This is after all a mystery story not great literature. I disagree about it being the story's central plot on the color of Tenishia Washington's skin, it is more about how the writer feels a small town of white folks would deal with the fact they have what to them is even more odd an outsider that happens to be black. I think the hero handling of was a little too PC, but I liked book all the same.

The book made me think of Blue Deer Thaw of the Jules Clement series by Jamie Harrison with it setting in a small town out in the wide open spaces of the upper Midwest and with mystery driven by the characters' and setting like in the Montana Mystery series featuring Gabriel Du Pre by Peter Bowen and Tony Hillermans books in southwest. If you like this book then I bet you like these and vice a versus

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, September 7, 2007
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
This book clearly has the best opening line of ANY book I have ever read. The author sent me a copy of the first chapter before he finished the book. It just about killed me waiting until I could buy it.

This book is a, well, how would I call it? A crochety old editor (Close to Archie Bunker, but no, not really) that has the ability to throw out lines of dry humor that cause you to run around and read them to your friends, who then run out to get their own copy of the book.

This author has a cult following of many of his other books. I have read many of them and I see the attraction. Personally, I think that this is his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not his fantasy world, but, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
Joel is such a great writer I enjoyed this book as much as his fantasy books. It is such a shame we have lost this great tallent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the good writers gone?, May 30, 2003
"ratthing" (Madison, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Front (Hardcover)
It seems the majority of my favourite authors are just cranking out books per contract lately, and this one is unfortunately no different. Like Joe Haldeman and Stephen King, it seems Joel Rosenberg has been getting by on reputation in his past several books. I loved Rosenberg's early work, and was hoping some of the old Joel would shine through in this break from the Guardians series. This non-"skiffy / fantasy" novel doesn't break the trend for Rosenberg.
As a Midwestie I found the "East Dakota" bits compelling enough, and I was actually quite interested in those parts of the book. Other than that the character development and main plot (particularly the ending) were embarrassingly contrived. The book reads like a movie written, directed and *narrated* by Stephen Segal.
It seems this book is going to be the first in a series -- I'll probably buy the subsequent novels out of a sense of duty, but I don't expect to enjoy them unless Rosenberg stops mailing in his work. And please, Joel, for the love of God, put the Guardians series to rest.

Home Front
Home Front by Joel Rosenberg (Hardcover - March 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01