5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER WINNER FROM KRISTIN HANNAH
Published on November 28, 2011 by Maudeen Wachsmith

1.0 out of 5 stars From a military spouse
While I appreciated the focus on military families and PTSD, I was less than enamored of this particular family and their struggles with a deployment, an injury obtained in theater, the return of the military member, and just life in general.

Published on February 8, 2012 by AndreaF

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER WINNER FROM KRISTIN HANNAH, November 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ahhhh --- the newest Kristin Hannah book. Perfect for the day it came in the mail - a windy, rainy autumn day. I snuggled in knowing full well that once I got started reading, I wouldn't budge until I finished. The only negative thing about reading a Kristin Hannah book is knowing I'll have to wait a year until the next one. I have come to expect not only a quality read, but one in which I will be emotionally involved. As a reader I don't feel like I'm merely a spectator to the drama in a Kristin Hannah book. I become part of it. HOME FRONT was all I expected--and more.

After a tough childhood and the death of her parents, Jolene enrolled in the "high school to flight school" program. Now, 23 years later, she's a Blackhawk pilot with the National Guard. Married to Michael Zarkades, they are the parents of 12-year-old and four-year-old daughters, Betsy and Lulu and lead an idyllic life on the shores of Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington.

Michael, who recently lost his father and business partner, is a workaholic. He has been getting home later and later each night, leaving a resentful Jolene to make excuses for his multiple absences from family and children's activities. Things escalate until, in midst of a heated argument, Michael tells Jolene he no longer loves her. It's like a slap in the face.

The two are unable to reconcile before Jolene and her best friend and neighbor, Tami, are deployed to Iraq. Now Michael (with help from his insightful mother, Mila) is left to assume a role he has no experience in, with daughters he barely knows. When the unthinkable happens, will Michael swallow his pride and let Jolene know how he really feels before it's too late?

Hannah excels in the women's fiction subgenre of domestic drama; in fact, I don't know of anyone who does it better. Added in is the subject of PTSD and the commentary on how the VA in particular, and government in general dismisses the critical condition of the brave men and women who have served their country until many times it's too late. The lives of both Michael and Jolene finally come together when his client, an ex-marine accused of killing his wife is able to provide assistance neither one of them saw coming. Hannah is able to address the issues here without becoming political, something that could push many readers' buttons.

Hannah's keen observations of the human condition and family life along with her spot-on descriptions of the landscape further makes the reader one with the story. The mist on Liberty Bay is as keenly felt as the heat and sand in Iraq. Kristin Hannah is simply one of the best, if not THE best writer of women's fiction today. Read HOME FRONT and see why she is beloved by so many readers. I can't recommend a book more highly than to say I will be buying copies for my daughter and her daughter-in-law, whose husband (my grandson) has just recently returned from Iraq.

5.0 out of 5 stars RUN out and get it!, November 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I waited forever for this book... doesn't it seem like that with all the good ones?? I am soooo going to carry this book with me for awhile. Kristin Hannah writes about subjects that are very in-depth -- I know with Winter Garden I needed tissues after reading the ending. With Home Front, you will need tissues throughout! Just sayin!

We meet Jolene and Michael. Married with 2 girls. Michael is a defense attorney and Jolene is a woman helicopter pilot for the Guard. Michael has taken Jolene for granted and not really been there for her. It all comes to a head one night when he tells her he doesn't love her anymore. The VERY next day, she gets orders to go to Iraq.

Michael and the girls are all feeling different emotions, but Michael doesn't have a change of heart then. Can you imagine? Your wife or husband going to Iraq, who knows if they will return or not? And you don't tell them you were sorry and love them and support them.

So what happens from there? READ IT! You will tell everyone to read it after you are done. I never really thought about what happens when they come home. However, even though they are back in the States with such trauma as they are put into over there, PTSD is real over here.

More importantly, what are we doing to support our troops when they come home? That is a good question for all of us to ponder!

Thanks Kristin, for another outstanding read! Any book that makes you think like this, is an excellent book in my opinion!

I received this book for free from Amazon in exchange for my honest opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars From a military spouse, February 8, 2012
AndreaF (Oceanside, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)

I found Michael, the military spouse, to be extremely unlikable from the first "this war is stupid and I don't support you" moment. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Jolene was an army reservist before they even started dating; did he mention how he felt and she said, "okay, no problem, we just won't talk about it for twenty years"? If he was so anti-military, anti-war, etc, why on earth did he marry into such a situation in the first place?

Additionally, Michael was so lost regarding how to take care of his own children that I had to wonder: What ON EARTH did he do with his two daughters when his wife was gone one weekend each month and two weeks each year? In my opinion, this is a huge flaw in the book; if he was married to a reservist then the past 11-12 years (after the children arrived), there would have been these drill absences. Sooo... it would stand to reason that he would have some idea how to care for them on his own, wouldn't it?

Also, after nearly TWO DECADES together, he was such a putz that he didn't realize the caliber of the person to whom he was married? He had no knowledge of what being a military spouse entailed? There were no pre-deployment briefs, info, classes that he would have gone to? As a military spouse, I was inundated with information from the beginning of our marriage, and am still to this day, especially prior to deployments. My husband is active duty and in a different branch of service than Jolene, but my friends who are married to soldiers have plenty of support available to them, even if they don't go to the meetings.

When I read that Michael's mother, Mila, was going to be there to help a lot as well as to practically run his household during Jolene's deployment, I thought, "LUCKY!", but noooo... It was still a disaster. Do you know how many military spouses would love to have even 1/4 of the help Mila provided? The children were spoiled and not expected to contribute to the well-being of the family. Betsy was unlikable to the point that I wondered if it would be possible to just skip over every paragraph that contained her name, but found that to be unrealistic, so plowed ahead, cringing with every bratty comment and action. I could not imagine being at the deployment staging area and witnessing a child refuse to tell the deploying parent that they love them. Jolene's 20 years as a reservist should have taught these children plenty about her job, the military, etc, but somehow her whole family remained clueless.

The issue of being in Iraq was well written, for the most part. There were obviously a lot of details provided by a soldier who'd been there (yes, I also saw the acknowledgements). However, the representation of the former US Marine, and the corps in general left a lot to be desired. Jolene's return as an injured vet was spot-on.

I realize that many of the aspects of deployment, amputation due to a war injury, difficult homecomings and PTSD are probably over-stated to a certain extent in order to make a point regarding our military and some of the obstacles and difficulties they face, but the amount of tears, defeatist attitudes, and angst began to be redundant.

While I usually enjoy Ms Hannah's books, in my opinion "Home Front" was not recommendable. I felt that the book was not only a bit trite, it was predictable and, as others have mentioned, contained too many editorial mistakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stop the whining - end the book please, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)
I started this book with high expectations based on the positive reviews. I couldn't even finish (listened to audiobook version) because I became so exhausted with the never-ending unrealistic and depressing interactions between the characters. It dragged on much too long for me, the comments were predictable and I seriously got tired of the depressing atmosphere that pervaded the book. Sad relationship. Sad daughters. He doesn't love her. Of course, who didn't see the the helicopter thing coming. Feeling sorry for herself. Can't re-establish relationships. Young client who teaches her "the lesson", oh come on, seriously?? On and on...I no longer cared what happened...figured it would end with them all coming back together with the hubby learning his lesson and the mom becoming the deserving heroine. Whatever. Yes, this stuff plays out all the time in real life (I am a rehab nurse, seen lots of folks with these injuries and family dynamics). There are real life heros living this - but there was nothing real or satisfying that shone out to me in the book, it was just an endless and depressing, low-energy story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent new novel about war's affect on an American family, November 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When Jolene was almost eighteen, her alcoholic parents were killed in an auto accident on their way to a local bar. Never having felt part of a family, she found one on her own with the Army's "high school to flight school" program. She became a helicopter pilot together with her best friend Tami. Twenty two years later they are both in the National Guard - and flying Blackhawk helicopters.
Her husband Michael is anti-war, anti-military, and increasingly anti-marriage - at least his own. When Jolene's Guard Company is called up for deployment, Michael and their children Betsy and Lulu virtually demand that she not go. On the day of her departure, he tells her "I don't love you anymore."
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome is most often thought of in terms of our soldiers returning from combat. Ms. Hannah makes PTSD real for the whole family. She discloses how the absence of a mother from her family stresses everyone. When CNN reports a helicopter with a female pilot down in Iraq, it brings home the reality that they may never see her again.
Michael receives another jolt when he takes on the case of a young Marine charged with first degree murder in the accidental killing of his wife. As he prepares his defense, he must learn about PTSD in great detail. And then Jolene's helicopter is hit by an RPG and crashes.
One of the most important paragraphs in the book to me is ""We come home broken, she thought. No matter how strong we are... The military should have prepared her for it. There was so much training before one goes to war, and so little for one's return."
I couldn't put this book down. It is superbly researched - I'm pretty sure it is not autobiographical - and very well written. The lack of support for our returning heroes with PTSD should make us ashamed of ourselves.

SUPPLEMENT 01/09/2012: I have been listening to this audio in my car on the single-disc CD player that came with it. I find that while the story is identical to the book, listening in snatches whenever I'm driving leaves me less able to appreciate the story. I also find that I draw pictures in my mind when reading the story, but less so with the audio.
Fortunately, the audio system in my car will start where it left off if I turn the car off then come bakc to it. That is a definite plus. Conversely, there is no idnication when you reach the end of each of the 12 GDs, so you suddenly find yourself listening to the current disc from the beginning again. I found this annoying.
The audio version would be great if I were taking long trips, which would allow listening to more of it at one time. That would provide more continuity. When not taking such trips, I prefer reading the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most unlikeable characters I've ever met!, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)
I've read most of Kristin Hannah's books and enjoyed them very much...until this one. I plowed through as much as I could before giving it up; my jaw was aching from clenching my teeth! This was the most self-centered, unlikeable bunch of people imaginable! The self-absorbed lawyer husband who expects his career to be taken seriously (and uses it as an excuse for everything he doesn't want to do), but cannot be bothered to take part or interest in his wife's career because of his politics (again, all about him). The bratty kids they cater to at every turn -- heaven forbid they didn't get their own way! The world revolves around them -- and the other side of that, and what irritated me above all, were these two parents who repeatedly and constantly apologized and gave in to these little tyrants. A sequel to this book might be in order....when Betsy and Lulu grow up, how they handle the professor who doesn't make an exception for a late term paper, the boss who won't give them the day off they wanted, and their own little monsters who terrorize them with "I'm going to throw a tantrum" at every opportunity. The mother-in-law was a darling, but (as one reviewer noted) an absolute failure at making her son act like the husband and father he should be. I know that every book can't be filled with happy storylines and wonderful, thoughtful people (and I wouldn't want them to be -- what boring reading that would make!), but this one just seems overfilled with negative characters. I love to read for pleasure.... but this was no pleasure at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kristin Hannah fan but this one is a miss, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Home Front (Audio CD)
I've read most of Kristin Hannah's books and was a big fan of her past work. All this changed though with Home Front. I went through the audio version of this book absolutely loathing the characters. I can't remember any other time when I wanted to physically lunge through the CD player of my car and physically slap a fictional character. I absolutely loathed the teen daughter, Betsy, and the other daughter wasn't portrayed much better. While I was sympathetic to the main character's plight I just wanted to book to be over with as the predictability and poor me attitudes just dragged on and on. Honestly, I partly blame myself as I should have just stopped listening to it once I started becoming more annoyed vs. intrigued by the storyline and how unlikeable the main characters were.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)
I debated giving this 4 stars, but I had to go with my gut. I love Kristin Hannah, and my favorites are Firefly Lane and Night Road. This didn't live up. I read a few reviews that mention this, so I'll reiterate, but I didn't like Jolene at all. Contrary to what someone said, she's not the perfect mother or wife. She never spoke to her husband about feelings or issues, and she smothered her children. Her past was mentioned too much as an excuse for why she wasn't open with Michael, and after being married for at least 10 years one should realize that you need to actually talk with your spouse.

Her parenting skills were ridiculous. Betsy was a spoiled brat. When I was 12, I was making my own dinner and doing house chores. Betsy couldn't even get herself to school, and the outbursts when Michael wasn't home in time were incredibly immature. And the younger daughter, who was 4, acted like my 2 year old.

I did like the post-accident relationship building, and I enjoyed how everything came together at the end. But overall, very disappointing from a terrific author.

2.0 out of 5 stars These characters need a combat boot to the backside, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)
As an Army spouse with a husband away on his first deployment, I was so excited to see this book at my local library. At last, a novel to give civilians a window into the lives of those who serve their country and the families who wait for them at home! I expected to feel a real kinship for these people and the sacrifices they make.

Instead, I met an appalling clan so selfish and whiny that they wouldn't last a week in the life of a real military family.

As a National Guard helicopter pilot, Jolene is strong, capable, and dedicated. At home, though, she's a martyr. A difficult upbringing has given her a strong aversion to conflict, so she "sucks it up" to keep the peace instead of confronting the problems in her family. She constantly makes excuses for her emotionally checked-out husband Michael, who leaves all the work of running the household to her. She allows her tween daughter Betsy to belittle her work with nary a reprimand. Jolene puts forth a superhuman effort to serve both her country and her family, but she never gets (or commands) the respect she deserves.

Jolene's husband Michael is the farthest thing from a supportive military spouse. He is so petty that he won't even attend a social gathering with her team, the one thing she asked for on her birthday. He callously tells her that he doesn't have anything in common with "those people"--her battle buddies, her second family, the men and women ready to literally put their lives on the line for his wife at a moment's notice! Why Jolene never kicked this guy to the curb with a swift combat boot to the backside is beyond me.

Then there are the children. The younger child, Lulu, is only four, and her emotional reaction to her mother's deployment rings very true for a child that age. But the couple's older daughter Betsy is a horror. A snotty, insolent brat. Honestly, I wanted to slap Betsy for most of this novel. We're supposed to see her as just a typical teen going through a difficult phase, but instead she comes across as a mouthy little creep who's never been taught any semblance of manners or respect for one's elders. Betsy's outrageous rudeness to her mother would get most kids grounded for a week.

The challenges the family faces, and the dangers Jolene must face when her unit deploys, are true to life. But the unlikeable characters ruined the story for me. I'm disappointed by this novel's failure to portray the strength, endurance, and grace under pressure so evident in most military families.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite..., February 26, 2012
This review is from: Home Front: A Novel (Hardcover)
I love Kristen Hannah's books and am always waiting for the next to be published. However, this one missed the mark on so many levels. I too did not like Michael, but that was how it was written to give him character - so be it. It was the children that were so unbelievable. It was totally out of touch given their ages. Who carries around a 4 year old? Betsy's character was more like she was 15 or 16, certainly not 13. Children at their ages love their mothers unconditionally and for hers to even suggest they wished she hadn't come home or not be the least concerned or sorry when they hurt her leg was unbelievable. I started laughing at instances when I was half way through this book. I could go on and on but I have made my point - not my favorite.

Home Front: A Novel
Home Front: A Novel by Kristin Hannah (Hardcover - January 31, 2012)
Used & New from: $0.01