Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 12, 2014
This book sucked me into it from the get-go. How delightful to "hear" what the psychiatrist thought while actively engaged with his clients . . . not only his conversations with them, but his thoughts. Such fun!

The bonus medical complaint against him turned into a compelling story that the author wove well into the psychiatrist's interaction with his clients. I felt sorry for him and feared for his livelihood as the complaint grew and as his legal fees mounted. What a nightmare he endured.

The character development was entertaining.

A++
on July 24, 2012
This is a fine book, that grew on me quickly, although it felt a bit stiff in the beginning.

Much like the show "In therapy," it follows the sessions of a psychiatrist and two of his clients over a period of time, from the perspective of the therapist. Also, much like in the TV show, the therapist is burdened with his own problems - perhaps a few too many, if you want to be picky, but overall I found him to be a likable character. The two clients grabbed my interest more readily, and I really enjoyed how they came to life with time.

There were a few editing errors, but nothing major. In general the text flowed well, especially once the 'introductory' period was over. I'm not certain that this is necessarily "low brow" litterature, like an other reviewer has suggested: The writing is on par with most popular crime novels that I've read. It's not the most difficult read, but I certainly found it an enjoyable way to spend a couple of evenings.

All in all, I'd say that this book can be recommended to anyone who enjoys good character portrayals, and is interested in psychology.
on July 24, 2012
Not the work of a professional author. But the work of a professional. It has elements of a medical drama, a detective story, two pythonesque tragicomic subplots about the bizarre things that can go wrong in the law and the building profession, but mainly provides an introspective look into psychiatry. Oddly enough, it all hangs together, at least as much as real life does.

It left me wanting more.
on July 24, 2012
I've been in psychotherapy for 8 years. I like to read all sorts of books, but books where there's something in it that reflects a part of me, a part of my life, a part of my experiences, are something I go out of my way to find. I have not found any fiction book that does nearly as much to show what psychotherapy is like (and in an interesting, engaging way no less), not even blockbuster author Stephen White's crime fiction, most of which star a Colorado psychologist. His books are good, don't get me wrong, but at most you get snippets of therapy here and there, and in some books, barely a peek or two. So, if you either want to read something you can relate to because you've been in therapy, or are really curious as to what therapy CAN feel like, Home Inspection is good for you!

If you like a good love story, with elements of the coincidental ways peoples' lives can intersect, this is a book for you.

If you like fiction from the doctor's point of view, you will probably like this. At the same time, with the therapy of several people in this book, you get their points of view as well. It's a great way to get a variety of people's views, without the often-used method of alternating points of view every chapter that can be a little jarring. The psychotherapy obviously lends itself well to the presentation of a variety of peoples' points of view, and I really like that. In part because of this, I'd really want to see other life situations played out in this type of setting/narrative structure, because it's ideally suited for that.
on July 31, 2012
I'm dissapointed. It's not terrible but I don't think I'll be able to finish it. I do have a great interest in all things psychological, but I'm just too bored with the therapist, Tom and Polly. If this is as interesting as psychotherapy gets then I'm glad I'm not a psychotherapist. I've read much better, more interesting accounts of therapy though such as Rob Dobrenski's writings in his blog "Shrink Talk." I was hoping it would be as interesting and entertaining as that but it's not.
on December 11, 2013
Great and detailed, some of the best!
Sorry but my last review was lost by amazon so I only submit short ones from now on.
on July 24, 2012
Perhaps you need to have a certain affinity for psychotherapy, which I do, to have an extra-special appreciation for this book. You really do feel like you're in the room (insert your therapist's office visual here), in the skins of the three main characters, and along for their journey. Perhaps there could be a part 2 and part 3, with commentary from the character Polly, then commentary from the character Tom. I'm curious how that would layover the therapist's mental wonderings and assumptions. This is a good book with a steady and pleasurable pace to it. Perfect to pick up and put down as often as you need to, and interesting enough to keep you hooked.
on August 24, 2012
I don't usually do reviews, but I really did enjoy this book and saw that it doesn't have many reviews, so wanted to lend my 2 cents' worth.

I don't at all think this is for a "very low brow audience with a high tolerance for poorly written fluff" as I saw another reviewer said. The book is engaging and entertaining, and I became interested right at the beginning. This book reminded me a lot of the brief HBO series "In Treatment," as we see the parallel lives of a psychiatrist and 2 of his patients.

I would really like to see a sequel to this to see how their lives worked out in a longer time frame, what issues came up, how they were resolved.

I did receive this book free here on Amazon, but if I had purchased it I think it would have been well worth the money. I just today noticed there is another book by this author here, and I do plan to purchase that one.
on June 11, 2013
I enjoyed the pace of the book and the behind the scenes look at the life of a psychiatrist. I would recommend this book to friends.
on July 16, 2012
This was a wonderfully enjoyable, engaging and well written book. I found myself pulled in right from the start and I was really rooting for the characters who I came to love. I'm looking forward to reading more by this terrific author.