5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant memoir
Ms Perry writes another fantastic read of a single woman coping with 21st century L.A. A must read for anyone who sometimes feels like a victim of time, place, and Los Angeles. Well written and a seminal insight into the brilliant mind of the author.
Published on December 18, 2009 by Eric C. Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love the sequel...
Published on May 26, 2010 by Kathleen Kibblehouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant memoir, December 18, 2009
This review is from: Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Book to Curl Up With, December 29, 2009
Lola Violet "Hello Kitty Girl" (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I sat down with this book on Christmas Day with a glass of wine and ended up reading it straight through. I didn't want to put it down! I am a fan of Laurie Perry's blog, Crazy Aunt Purl, and of her first book, Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair. In her second book, she is still navigating life as a 30-something in Los Angeles, but she is stronger, more confident. Reading her second book is like chatting with a good friend as she writes about dating, trying to grow a square watermelon (yes, really!) , joining a gym, creating a vision board, traveling solo, bikini waxes and spray tans. It is all there plus some awesome knitting patterns at the very end. This is a book that will speak to a lot of women (cat ladies and dog ladies), and is done with a great sense of humor. A fun book to curl up with!

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny story, well worth reading., December 31, 2009
Laurie Perry's "Home Is Where the Wine Is" offers the reader useful advice for getting to - and past the age of forty, and also tells her readers that they should live their lives to the fullest, no matter what happens to them.

Her lessons on life and meditation are really funny, and can be considered a type of guide to doing everything better. She writes in a clear style that is easy to follow. Her tone is conversational and it is as if she is your best friend in the room with you. By reading each chapter, labeled as resolutions, you get the feeling you are reading her diary, and following her inner most thoughts. Her life is one realistic adventure, and she always comes out on the positive end of the experience in the end.

I would recommend this book to a wide range of readers, especially female women or teens. In this story the author envisions how she should spend the rest of her life, including the spaces between and around the dots she connects. She advocates self love, and overall the book is meant to inspire us in the little pieces that make up our daily lives.

Ms. Perry's relationships in the book are interesting and completely believable. I felt as if I could relate to her friendships on every level, and thought I had definitely met these people myself, at some time or another in my own past (especially the section about the competitive gardeners, the internet dates and the people she met while traveling).

This book is a guide to showing us how to live our lives to the fullest. After reading it, I wanted to live my life differently too. I wanted to be more conscious of what it takes to live fully each day, and I wanted to begin my New Year with a few resolutions of my own. Overall, it was a good read, highly recommended for the New Year.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love the sequel..., May 26, 2010
I really wanted to love the sequel to the first book, but there just was no substance here. Even the knit patterns were a disappointment. I think the journey of the "starting over" in the first book provided that good reason to see how it all came together. Not enough in the second one. It was funny and the author has the ability to write like she talks, which might make it fun beach read for some.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just plain funny stuff!, February 2, 2010
Sheila A. Dechantal (Brainerd, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
What a funny book! Timing is everything on this read and it is a perfect vacation style book. It is a quick read with funny antidotes and day to day life of author/blogger Laurie Perry. The book description said if you like cats and knit this book is for you! Well cats make me a bit stir crazy and I have never knit in my life..... BUT if you like funny stories on working out and falling off ellipticals, poor dating choices and the list created so as not to repeat them, the ever existing quest for a square watermelon, gardeners who kill everything they touch, and vacations that bring out the self tanner experience...then by all means - pick this book up!

The book ends with several patterns including how to make an island beach bag, a braided kitchen run - and more. That is kind of a fun idea!

4.0 out of 5 stars So funny, January 16, 2010
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Okay, reading Home is Where the Wine Is felt like the author was writing about my life. She is single, loves cats and is constantly questionning herself and everything around her - but with a healthy dose of humor!!

I love that author Laurie Perry has a somewhat sarcastic but always funny take on so many ordinary events. This book is loaded with random musings about things and events that happen to her (or don't happen). She somehow manages to take alot of the drama out of life and this was such a welcome change of pace.

The writing, as always is fun and it feels as though you are talking with your BFF - she does not hesitate to share some personal stuff with us and does so in an honest and forthright manner!!

My particular favorite story was definitely her take (and her cats) on meditation! hilarious. As I read, I found myself laughing out loud with actual tears!!!

Perfect read for this crummy time of year!! (or actually for any time of the year).

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed and laughed and laughed, December 27, 2009
I can't say enough good things about this book - I absolutely loved it. Ms. Perry has a way of drawing you into her world and making you feel a part of it. Reading it is as therapeutic and fun as a night out with your closest, most hilarious friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Humorous but too short., October 11, 2010
Stephanie "waterbaby3" (Northern Virginia, VA) - See all my reviews
This book is still the humorous and witty Crazy Aunt Purl that her first book was. It was an easy read but lacked some depth and I think it should have been longer. Given her blog, she definitely has more that could be written to create a longer length read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and insightful, February 25, 2010
I was so excited to see Lauria had a another book out! This book is not only funny, but is full of content a lot of people can relate to. It's like she says things the rest of us are thinking. I appreciate that it's a "light read" with insightful content. I'm already looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book from one of my favorite bloggers, February 16, 2010
Crazy Aunt Purl is one of the 3 must-read blogs I check out every day. This book from the blog author is a delight, a longer look, a more drawn out conversation with one great writer. Laurie is so personal and funny - so even though I'm 60, happily married for decades, living in the dreary northeast with "lake effect" weather for months, and have only a love of cats and knitting in common with her, she is a must-read. Whether she is flat-out belly-laughing funny, or thoughtfully introspective and reflective, I love how her crazy mind works! We're lucky to have her on the scene. This book is a super dose of life from a never-boring perspective.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›