Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.03

on December 4, 2013
I've become rather picky about my Christian historical fiction, as I feel most of the books are not literature quality. However, I snapped up a copy of A Home for My Heart, by Anne Mateer, because it's the story of an assistant matron at an orphanage. Sadie suddenly finds herself offered the head matron position and she has to learn how to balance her new duties with her desire to get married (matrons are not allowed to wed).

I really, really wanted to like this book. My heart is all about adoption these days as we navigate the adoption process to adopt our own daughter. I thought that this book would resonate with me but it fell flat. The main character kept insisting that she cares more about the children than her coworkers do, but she never really displays that love in her actions. I had hoped that the book would address her life in an orphanage but it could have been written about any type of administrative position. If you're wanting an ok beach read, this is it. If you're looking for something deep and memorable, keep looking.

Thank you to Bethany House for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinion.
88 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
4.5 Stars
Having read Anne Mateer's first two books, Wings of a Dream and At Every Turn, I was really looking forward to reading A Home for My Heart. I love the stories that Anne Mateer creates and I love the way her stories touch your heart and leave you yearning for more.

A Home for My Heart is the story of Sadie Sillsby. Sadie grew up in an orphanage, and now that she is older, she is working in the orphanage to give back to what the orphanage provided for her. Sadie absolutely loves the children and is willing to do anything for them. At least, that's what she thinks. When the matron of the home announces her plans to get married, she offers Sadie the job and Sadie is thrilled to accept. There's only one problem; Sadie and Blaine are hoping to get married someday but the orphanage matron is not allowed to be married. When Sadie chooses to become the matron, she soon faces trouble with finances and trying to rid herself of her feelings for Blaine. But nothing seems to work and Sadie must rely on God to provide for her future.

Oh my heart broke for dear Sadie and Blaine. They have known each other for so long, and pretty much loved each other just as long. But when things are thrown into their relationship, their friendship is definitely tested. I admired Sadie for her willingness to sacrifice her own happiness in order to provide the children what they needed. These characters were so dear to me and I loved getting to know them throughout the book. The story that Anne Mateer has created is a heart-touching novel and I was sad to see it end. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.

I received a free copy of this book from the author and Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest review. I received no compensation for this review and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions stated are my own.

Leah B.
Must Love Books
mustlovereading.wordpress.com
on September 19, 2013
A Home for My Heart by Anne Mateer was heartwarming, uplifting, and had me on the edge of my seat! I love Anne Mateer's writing style and was eager to read her newest book. This book is full of life! I loved the setting...a children's home in the early 1900's is a great setting for any story, especially to someone who is a teacher and holds children at the core of her heart .

Sadie is a character that you will fall in love with. She has issues from the past that must be resolved, along with her situation with Blaine. I will not give any more information because I do not want to spoil the plot for those reading this review. Sadie is a believable character with great determination and love for God and children. She takes upon herself a job that she believes she can do, but in the end she finds out things about herself that had to be apparent in God's time.

I think Mrs. Fore was one of my favorite characters! She was an older woman with great insight into all that went on around the house. Viola got on my nerves with her flirtatious ways and the way she did not care about the children. She was a very believable character for her background as a wealthy child who probably got all she wanted in life. Earl was a character I did not like from the start. I am glad he was woven into the book to help with the twists and turns and trials Sadie had to overcome.
I was on the edge of my seat through the entire book. I just could not wait to see what would happen next to the character. There is nothing bad about this book! Heartwarming, uplifting, a love story that will truly find a home in the readers heart for years to come!

*I received this book on behalf of the author and Bethany House Publishers to read and review.
on July 2, 2014
A Home for My Heart was such a sweet story. I really enjoyed Sadie and felt like I was right there with her during her trials and triumphs. Author, Anne Mateer, is a master at plotting ~ at the very beginning of the story, she placed Sadie and Blaine in a precarious situation with no wiggle room, which led the novel to have tons of conflict, and romance! I also really enjoyed learning more about orphanages back at the turn of the century. A must-read.
on February 3, 2015
This is the first book I have read from Anne Mateer and I will be reading more from her. This book is about the love that Sadie has for the children at the orphanage and the love story between her and Blaine.
on March 30, 2015
Wounded, abandoned yet not without God's provision Sadie's story is compelling, painful and encouraging. All the characters arise off the page, courageously making themselves known and even loved. Ministering to "the least of these" may cause tears but leave room for unexpected smiles. A very good read.
on July 15, 2014
I did not want this book to end! It was very good. I really enjoyed the way Sadie stood up for what she believed God calling her to do. Great book! I am going to see if I can find more by this author. Thank you!!
on May 8, 2014
A Home for My Heart is a sweet story of a woman who loves children and wants to make sure that they are cared for, even when their parents may be unable to provide that care anymore. Sadie grew up in the Raystown Home for Orphan and Friendless Children. Now she has accepted the title of matron, and all of the responsibilities that come with the position. One of the hardest tasks to attend to is the mending of her broken heart. As long as Sadie is matron, she can not marry her long-time sweetheart. Will Blaine be able to forgive Sadie for choosing the Home over him?

This book was easy to read and the love that Sadie had for the children really shined through. She made a hard choice and many times I felt that she was trying to solve things on her own strength rather than relying on God to carry her through. It was a lesson she had to learn. I also found it interesting to read this book completely through her point of view. Since I only saw things through Sadie’s eyes, I found myself worried about Blaine’s actions and intentions toward Viola, a young woman in the book. This is good book that left me with a hopeful feeling at the end.
on June 23, 2014
Uplifting... encouraging... I read it in a day. I have been working with dependent children in one capacity or another for 20 years and thought it might be time for a change. After reading this book I feel like I have been set straight... back on the right path.
on April 27, 2016
I loved this book from the first sentence. Every person in the book tugged at my heart. I really liked that the story took place around an orphanage. It touched my heart about all the hardships they went through but still had so much love to give the orphans and each other.