5.0 out of 5 stars A great item--but Amazon shouldn't have had a "goes with..."
Published on November 11, 2004 by Heidi the Homeschool Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Snapshot Design
Published on August 15, 2006 by Diva Nana

5.0 out of 5 stars A great item--but Amazon shouldn't have had a "goes with...", November 11, 2004
This review is from: Home Quick Planner: Reusable, Peel & Stick Furniture & Architectural Symbols (Paperback)
This is a wonderful item. It has "clingy", reusable stickers so that you can reuse them over and over--like the old "Colorforms" we had as kids. They are also quite detailed, so that although they are only in black and white, they are fun to look at. You have so many options, and the scaled paper is roughly 16" X 22", and treated so that the "stickers" stay on well, but can be taken off just as easily. And both sides are that way. Not sure if you can actually do one side, and, without removing the stickers, flip it over and do the second side. Haven't tried it, I guess. We purchased this as part of our homeschool curriculum for our 16 year old.

My biggest gripe is that Amazon listed a "goes with" item--the "Room and Furniture Layout Kit" by Muncie Hendler. The trouble with that is that the "Home Quick Planner" is scaled at 1/4"=1', but the "Room and Furniture Layout Kit" is scaled at 1/2"=1'. My suggestion would be not to get the "Room and Furniture Layout Kit" anyway if you are getting the "Home Quick Planner", since it is just punch out cardstock shapes. It isn't that bad, but after having the very detailed stickers of the "Home Quick Planner", these are very boring.

A really neat item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and very helpful, December 14, 1999
By A Customer
This little interior design kit is well worth the money. In contrast to many computer programs, it's simple and easy to use. There are multiple of symbols for every room and item in your house - appliances, kitchen and bath fixtures, windows, doors and other architectural elements and of course furniture. You'll even be able to mark switches, outlets and phone jacks on your floor plan. The best thing about this kit is that it reminds me of my grade school days and all the fun I had with just scissors, paste and paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need - almost, November 9, 2006
Ricks picks (Salem, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This was almost perfect for what we were looking for -- which was to lay out the furniture placement for home we are building. We had our floor plans in the scale of 1/4" =1' (be sure you have your drawings in this scale - otherwise the product is basically useless for this purpose) and simply peeled them off and placed the images of the furniture on our floorplan. The floorplans were in the form of blueprints that we received from our architect. The stickers were able to stick well enough to stay put on the drawings -- although I think with repeated removal and replacement, the adhesion might be reduced to the point where you would need to hold the stickers with tape.

My wife found them very useful to get a feel for not only how we could/would arrange our furniture but also to get a real sense of the size of the rooms etc. She does not have the ability/aptitude to mentally convert the architectural drawings into a picture of what the rooms will look like when completed -- and this really helped her to vizualize and understand what the rooms would look like when furnished - and also to determine where we would need additional furniture.

Only significant issue was that there were not enough bed stickers - only one queen size bed sticker and I think, only one king size. Would have been great to have had 2 (or more) of each as we will have 2 queen size beds in the house.

Otherwise, was easy to use and very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product -really helps in planning!, September 2, 2006
Home Quick Planner:

Recommended by my builder, September 3, 2006

Reviewer: Hands-on designer (Atlanta, GA) - - This planner is a professional-quality design tool at a very affordable price. The reusable peel-and-stick symbols adhered directly to my floor plans, which helped me layout my design and show the builder and decorator exactly what I wanted. For the kitchen and bath, I used the 1/4-inch scale grid sheet that was included. The symbols are extensive and nicely illustrated. The planner also has design notes with room layouts and important dimensions, and this helped me save wasted space. Highly recommended and lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interactive Design for Real People!, September 15, 2007
As an Interior Designer for 20 years, the problem I have with computerized design programs is that you can't take them with you. The Home Quick Planner is one of the few things that really is easier and more efficient without a computer. These planners allow me to easily come up with several different design options for my clients, and perhaps more importantly, gives my clients the flexibility to play around with different layouts and furniture placement on their own. In addition, their 1/4" scale makes them a perfect fit to be dropped right into standard architectural plans. I have found these to be an invaluable, time saving tool. They just work better, and my clients love them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Snapshot Design, August 15, 2006
Diva Nana "Imaginal Maven" (La Habra, California United States) - See all my reviews
The product usage was very simple. The two problems I had were: with even using clean hands or tweezers to place furniture shapes, "stick residue" rubbed off on some of the shapes. This force me to use double tape to hold in place. The table and cabinet sizes are limited. I ended up creating the size needed by using two or more of different sizes that were available. Would I purchase this item again? Probably only if the price went down because of what you get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in planning, February 19, 2007
Rosanne Katilius (Scottdale, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I knew what I wanted in a design and could not find it, so this is a helpful tool to plan a home. Needed more windows for the design we wanted & wished the grid paper had more of a coating so the paper does not come off when rearranging things. I was able to photocopy the plan & tape together, then rearrange rooms/items to give various planning options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a teacher, October 28, 2008
My students at Mount Holyoke College's SummerMath program have had great success using the Home Quick Planner. These are high school students and they use the planner to design their own dream homes, as part of the Architecture and Mathematics Workshop. The planner's wonderful array of symbols expands their design options, as they see many new possibilities. Using the variety of symbols provided, the students are able to find the sizes and shapes they want, and when a particular symbol is not available, they typically improvise, sometimes combining two other symbols to meet their needs. The planner's attention to detail is impressive, for example, there are over 400 feet of walls, half-walls, and symbols for marking removal of walls for a remodeling project. The planner provides a wealth of learning experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful and enjoyable to use, November 5, 2010
Initially we were considering using a computer based tool to assist us in designing the layout of our unfinished basement. In trying to find the best software and/or website to conceptualize our layout, we did a search on a home planner and found this product. On a whim we purchased it. The kit includes easily removable furniture, tables, sofas, lighting, outlets, everything. What makes this product ideal is that it enabled us to fully visualize the space and easily make changes. We were also pleasantly surprised that this was a fun project that we could accomplish together - away from a computer. Overall, for us this is a product that is practical, simple, and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful product, June 4, 2009
I like the idea of this product. It's so easy to "mis-estimate" the size of a room and the things it can fit. This product keeps you honest, and definitely saved me time. I did find the "decals" sometimes difficult to peel back off the laminated grid that comes with it. After a few peels of the actual grid, I decided to put the grid under a glass frame and stick the decals to that. They were a bit easier to grab, and saved the grid. Our project was small, and it was still a help.

Home Quick Planner: Reusable, Peel & Stick Furniture & Architectural Symbols