5.0 out of 5 stars Secure dog is cool
Published on August 16, 2008 by Lizard

1.0 out of 5 stars Secure Dog Alarm
I regret to report that my Secure Dog alarm IS a "dog." I purchased on the basis of very favorable reviews, but after I attempted to utilize this unit (selecting the barking option)I discovered that it usually malfunctioned.

Published on July 16, 2008 by Allen T. Ansevin

1.0 out of 5 stars Secure Dog Alarm, July 16, 2008
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)

There is one good feature, that the variability in barking frequency is quite realistic. However, the electronics is unreliable, usually giving a drum beat roar as the volume switch is first advanced. Occasionally this malfunction can be bypassed so that the alarm appears to work, but it rapidly fails so that later it gives only a nearly inaudible bark.

Finally, when the sound is operatiing, the quality of the speaker is extremely poor, so I doubt that most adults will be fooled -even when the unit is working.

Allen Ansevin

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure dog is cool, August 16, 2008
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
I bought one and I liked it so much I bought another. Especially when you have two devices it sounds like a FRENZY of angry dogs--sooo cool! Supposedly the speaker (front) part is where the sensors are. If you walk close to the rear it also barks. I suppose you can bypass this by shield it with some kind of metal barrior in the back. It's no big deal for me because I have an on-off switch I use and turn it on when I go to bed.

It's a novelty item, and these are hard to find.

You can switch it to a pleasant stream/bird/forest sound instead which is good if you have a business-it will alert you when someone comes into the door-and is really really excellent.

Be sure to buy some "BEWARE OF THE DOG" signs. Sound quality: VERY realistic. You can turn it up and it's quite loud and it WILL set off the neighborhood dogs. I think it is supposed to sound like german shepard. (If the person gets closer, the barking dog will bark more frequently). I wish they had growling pit bull sounds.

Still, the barking in this device is impressive.

It appears to be a very well built device-not cheap or flimsy. I wish it had a stereo plug--I would LOVE to plug it up to loud speakers LOL
Still, it's impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will swear that there is a huge dog waiting to rip you apart., May 10, 2007
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
It is very powerful, and it is very threatening. It works great. Usually products like this are junk, but this is high quality. I gave it as a gift to a lady who lives alone, and she tells me she sleep much better each night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!!!, March 23, 2012
After reading reviews on this I was left with a 50/50 feeling about ordering it myself. Everyone complained about the difficulty of getting it set just right and the many false alarms. But finally I decided to order it.

When I got it I wanted to hang it on the wall but decided to test it first by using a ladder to experiment with it at different heights. I was surprised that the radar penetrated through our wall, which was stucco, which is pasted over a metal meshing since the instructions say it won't penetrate very well through walls with metal in them. But it penetrated very, very well. In fact too well.

The instructions say that it should be at a height of 0.8 to 1.5 meters ( about 31 to 59 inches) above the floor. I put it at the upper height and after adjusting the sensitivity down to cover all of the outside porch it seemed to be working fine, that is until after dark when we turned on the porch lights. Then it started going off intermittently when there was no one outside on the porch, even when I turned down the sensitivity further until it would almost not detect the movement of a person outside. It took me a while to figure out what was happening but it wouldn't start to give off false alarms until about 30 minutes after I turned on the lights. But what was setting it off were the large moths that the light attracted. Also, when a cold front came in one night, the moths went away but the thing was still going off. I tracked that down to the fact that we had two large hanging lights on the front porch and the wind started making them move back and forth ever so slightly, which set the alarm off.

With all the movement up at the ceiling of the porch setting off false alarms, I decided to move it down to the lower end of the suggested height, 0.8 meters (31 inches) and test it a few days. That absolutely solved the problem. The alarm sends out a conical beam from the back of the unit and lowering it to 31 inches kept the beam from picking up movement at the ceiling level but gave me good coverage on my entire front porch at the level where people would be moving. So I've now mounted it on my wall at 31 inches and I've had no more false alarms. The thing works perfectly.

The sound of the barking dog, when turned up high enough, sounds like the real deal on the outside. In fact, we had a water company employee come to knock on our door yesterday to test our water meter and when she came onto the porch and rang the doorbell the alarm started barking so ferociously she got scared when I opened the door and asked me if my dog might run through the small opening in the door and try to bite her.

Anyway, I love this alarm and I'm going to buy another to cover the back porch. This alarm does require some work planning where you put it and adjusting it on the buyers part. Its not going to work perfectly out of the box. Be advised that it not only sends a conical radar beam out the back of the unit, but also a much, much shorter conical beam out the front of the unit and even the sides (its explained in the owner's manual), which means if you put it in an area where your dog, cat, spouse, kids, etc constantly walk in front of it within about a foot or more, depending how high you set the sensitivity, its going to be set off falsely. So you need to put it in an area where there's not a lot of foot traffic on the inside of the house but where it can cover the area on the outside of the house you want covered. I would recommend also it be set at the lower end of the recommended height to avoid the false alarms of large insects buzzing around on outside light in the covered area.

I love this thing. When adjusted correctly, it is very realistic sounding and if any burglar decides to break into your house after hearing this thing go off then he should be given a medal either for bravery or stupidity.

3.0 out of 5 stars angry dog, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
It does work, however if you are trying to use it to protect against intruders to your home it will not pick up anyone on the outside of your house if you have aluminum siding. I set mine on a large window ledge behind drapes and it does very well that way. It also seems more sensitive when approached from the rear so I have the back facing out to the deck. Sounds like a big angry dog from out side, and when testing it the first time with the back door open it got all my neighbors dogs barking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in Range, July 2, 2010
L. Wilson (East Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
I was really disappointed in its "through the wall range".
I have a wood wall, no metal involved.
I get maybe a 2 foot range, almost all but useless.
Seems to work better in an open area but that is not what I bought it for.
For the price of this unit it should work better.
I would not recommend this unit for a through the wall alarm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, May 6, 2011
Although this electronic barking dog costs more than some others, it's worth the additional cost. It sees through walls as advertised and has what I think is a pretty authentic bark. Although the first unit they sent didn't work well, the company paid for me to return it for a replacement, which has been working fine for about three months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound was too mechanical and fake, sensor was not stable..., December 18, 2011
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
2 problems were found: 1. The barking sound was too mechanical and fake, hope it can be little random and real. 2. One of the sensors was not stable. It was set to about 80% for 5 feet away, but without changing anything, two days later, it stopped working anymore. Anyway, it is very interesting product but needs significant improvement. Hope I can receive my refund soon as I have returned via UPS one week ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT a dog, but might work, March 5, 2010
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
I bought the Electronic Barking Watch Dog as a present and only tested it to see if it works. It does work, and is very simple to operate. Uses a LOT of batteries as a backup, and is pretty loud. The barking is OK but not great, I think anybody who had a dog or two and heard other dogs barking will recognize or at least suspect the sound to be "fake" after 10-20 seconds but I think that might just be enough. Coupled with other measures of protection it may be just what you want when you can't have a real. In big apartment complexes thieves who "probe" the doors one ofter the other to see if one is open, would probably be deterred effectively (they probably won't stop at a door on the other side of which there is a lot of barking). A determined burglar however will not be averted but they would just use pepper spray on a dog, anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than a dog, June 11, 2009
This review is from: Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog (Electronics)
highly sensitive security alarm, i had to put aluminum foil in front of it to block it from household activity in the kitchen yet still guard the walkway to the front door. my father can hear the barking but he cant hear the door buzzer.

Home Safe EWD-1 Electronic Watchdog