5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Mom
Oops,

Published on November 25, 2006 by Chuckles

3.0 out of 5 stars Down Home Reminisce
This is not an analysis of home, or the concept of home. It is a series of essays that reminisce on what childhood homes were like. Some of the essays are by famous people, others by less famous average people types.

Published on May 1, 2007 by MrTwistoff

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Mom, November 25, 2006
Chuckles (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
Oops,

I made this a reply above, so I'll repeat it here. I bought this book for myself and quickly realized that my Mom and Mother-in-law would LOVE it. All of the profits are going to charity. Most other politicians use books as a way of raising money for upcoming races. Donors who are limited to $2000 in direct donations can buy 1000 books and the profits go to the candidate. But, John Edwards is giving AWAY all the profits. That's something different, and something special.

5.0 out of 5 stars This captures what it means to be at Home, November 15, 2006
J. Taylor "lokapala" (Directly over the center of the earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
Until I read this book, I had given up on the Democratic Party. It didn't seem to have any visionaries. This book is a vision of Home, of what we're all trying to find, a place that makes sense of the world, a place we belong. Okay, I'm staying with the Dems, for now. One John Edwards makes up for a lot of drones in the party.

3.0 out of 5 stars Down Home Reminisce, May 1, 2007
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)

Although the book provides a few insights into personal meaning for each of these people, it does not approach the larger issue of Home and what it might mean to us as a people. This is a coffee table book at best, not one for reading through and through.

It's not that the book is bad, it's just that I found little meaning in it apart from understanding these people's history a little better. It didn't challenge me to examine, to understand, it was listening to friends reflect on the smell of bread in the kitchen. Not a bad activity at all, but don't expect great significance to arise from such a down home exercise.

If you want something that explores the subject deeply, I highly recommend "House As A Mirror of Self."

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, family type book, February 18, 2007
Charlotte Harrell (Milledgeville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading about the family of well known people and seeing snapshots of their growing up years.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY BOOK, February 10, 2007
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
THIS IS A LOVELY COFFEE TABLE BOOK. THE STORIES THAT ARE RELATED ARE PRICELESS AND BRING BACK CHILDHOOD MEMORIES.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book., February 4, 2007
M. Moe (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
Heartwarming and poignant stories told by people from all over America about their childhood homes and what the home and the family means to them.I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home: The Blueprints of Life, January 25, 2007
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful book. I loved everything about it . The author is exceptional. An inspiration, to us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOPE when most NEEDED, January 20, 2007
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
Gave this book as our Christmas gift to our family and friends. When there seems to be so many problems (war, global warming, crime, poor economy, etc.), this book helped us refocus on relationships. THAT we have direct control over. We CAN have loving, supportive, happy homes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland and boring like cardboard, January 29, 2007
Bette (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
I agree with most reviewers who have said they expected more and found the book to be boring. I want to add that if you are like me, someone who is into place and space, architecture and homes/houses, Bachelard, Casey, etc., this is NOT a book for you. It could have been better if the writers were all on the same page with a unifying theme. I suggest you seek out a library copy and save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, April 20, 2009
This review is from: Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives (Hardcover)
This is one of those books that sneaks into your mind and lodges under the table only to peak out every once in a while to remind you of what a great childhood yours was and how it affected your adulthood.

Many of the stories such as the one about Danny Glover's simple chidhood from which he came and the girl who grew up on the dairy farm in upstate New York showed us all how alike and yet different we are.

I was facinated with the photos of the different homesteads and the stories surrounding them. I truly enjoyed taking my children on an imaginary tour of where we have been and where we are likely to go. Thank you for sharing.

Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives
Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives by Jonathan Prince (Hardcover - November 14, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01