"Tim Patterson is one of the best contemporary writers on wine in the United States. His easy-to-read, engaging prose transforms even the most complicated aspect of making wine and makes it comfortable and understandable. Reading Home Winemaking For Dummies
-- like having Patterson by your side as a personal mentor-is the absolute best way to tackle the very satisfying process of making your own wine." —Karen MacNeil, Author, The Wine Bible
"A thorough, practical, and entertaining guide, this text takes tips from the pros and brings common sense and approachability to the art of winemaking. Mr. Patterson's vast experience and contagious passion for the subject make Home Winemaking For Dummies an enjoyable read while the format makes it an excellent reference and allows the reader to delve as deep into the subject matter as he or she wishes. Whether problem-solving or pursuing stylistic ideals Mr. Patterson holds the reader's hand when needed but still encourages creativity within safe boundaries. From sourcing fruit to healthy fermentation habits straight through aging, bottling, and even enjoying home-made wine this guide has you covered at every step - I even learned a few things myself! This book would be a welcome addition to any wine enthusiast's library and is equally accessible to novice and connoisseur."
—Ondine Chattan, Winemaker, Geyser Peak Winery
"As a 20-year amateur winemaker with an addiction to winemaking books, I now have a new ‘go-to' book for my first reference! After the excellently accurate coverage of basic winemaking, Tim's tome takes the wonderful turn of emphasizing the subtle, and not-so subtle, differences that make the distinctions between the popular varietals - all in one place! Home Winemaking For Dummies is now prominently on my shelf in front of all the textbooks!"
—Dave Lustig, President, Cellarmasters Home Wine Club Los Angeles
"Tim Patterson is able to express his knowledge and passion of winemaking in a vey understandable, humorous, and practical way. If you follow the advice in this book, you will be able to produce wine that will likely be better than inexpensive commercial wine, and could be as good as any wine ever made. I applaud Tim's effort and wish this book was around when I started making wine."
—Kent Rosenblum, Consultant Winemaker, Rosenblum Cellars, and former home winemaker
From the Back Cover
- Master every step of the winemaking process
- Select the perfect grapes for your wines
- Craft a delicious range of red and white varietals
- Create sparkling, rosé, and dessert wines
Enjoy making (and drinking) your own first-class wines
Making high-quality wines is fun and easy. This must-have guide gives you easy-to-follow instructions in everything from selecting the right grapes and the proper equipment, to the crush and fermentation, to aging and bottling your wine. Award-winning home winemaker Tim Patterson provides tips on how to make every style of wine red, white, dry, sweet, and bubbly. Soon, your family and friends will be toasting your delectable creations!
- Equip yourself get the tools you need and design a functional winery, no matter how small your space
- Choose great grapes explore your options, from fresh to frozen, and figure out the quantity you need
- Make reds that impress learn proven techniques for red wines, including bold Bordeaux and ravishing Rhône wines
- Create delicious whites make Chardonnays and Sauvignon Blancs like the professionals, thanks to expert advice
- Explore other styles of wine think pink with refreshing rosé wines and indulge your sweet tooth with delicious dessert wines
- Age your wine to perfection weigh the merits of storing your wine in glass or barrels, and calculate the ideal aging time
Open the book and find:
- Winemaking hints and secrets from professional vintners
- Affordable grape varieties that make tasty wine
- How to test and tweak your juice before fermentation
- The yeast strain that's right for your wine
- Mistakes to avoid and trouble-shooting tips
- Minor wines with major appeal
- Whether to use American or French oak or any oak at all
"Tim Patterson is one of the best contemporary writers on wine in the United States. Reading Home Winemaking For Dummies is the absolute best way to tackle the very satisfying process of making your own wine."
Karen MacNeil, author of The Wine Bible