Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: True 1026 Private Preserve
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Set of 1|Change
Price:$9.75+ Free shipping

on December 22, 2010
About 15 years ago when I became interested in wine I went early one Saturday morning to a liquor store that had one of the biggest selections of wine I have ever seen. I was basically the only person in the store, wandering around picking up various bottles of different types of wines when a dapper gentleman came over to me and asked if he could help. I told him I was just getting started with wines and any "tidbits" he could share with me would be welcomed. He showed me several things to look for on the wine label, at what temperature the wine should be stored and drunk, and what type of wineglass should be used when drinking the various wines.

I had seen people put the cork back in a bottle that they hadn't finished drinking. That didn't seem to work well, so I bought a vacuum pump system. I mentioned to the gentleman that I was now using a vacuum pump system to reseal any bottle of wine I didn't completely drink. He said, "I should not be using a vacuum pump because a vacuum pump will pull the bouquet out of the wine." I had noticed that the wine didn't taste as good the second day using a vacuum pump and thought that's just the way it was.

He went over and got a tall can, handed it to me and said, "Now this is what you should be using." It was Private Preserve.

I got the Private Preserve and the bottles of the wine he recommended. On the way out I asked the dapper gentleman who was kind enough to spend his time with me for his business card. It was Chip Cassidy, the world renowned wine authority, teacher and author.

I've been using Private Preserve ever since and recommend Private Preserve very highly. I can honestly say that the wine tastes just as good the second, third or even the fourth day, especially the 1.5L size bottle. I've never had a bottle of wine go bad ever since I've used Private Preserve and a good bottle stopper.

Thank you Chip!!! How lucky was I that Saturday morning??
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2010
It takes me a week to drink a bottle of red wine. I tried this wine preservation gas and it works well, but you have to add the gas after each pour -- so the gas doesn't last very long. When you pour a glass of wine, you also pour out some of the gas and you have to add more gas. I bought a wine stopper/pourer combination made by Oxo. After I open the bottle I pour a glass of wine and put on the stopper. Then I add plenty of the wine preserver gas through the stopper valve and close the stopper lever. When I pour the next glass, I invert the bottle first and then open the stopper lever gradually. This lets the wine trickle out and prevents any of the gas from escaping. I don't have to add more gas. It works well for me. The gas includes Argon, which is heavier than air and settles on the surface of the wine after each pour. Store the opened bottle upright on a stable surface, not in refrigerator door.
on January 5, 2014
A year ago I purchased Private Preserve and the can held 0.34 oz of gas. Just got another can at about the same price as a year ago and it only holds 0.29 oz. New can is quite a lot smaller in size and is made of steel rather than aluminum as before. Both cans say "120 Full Uses", but how can that be with 15% less gas? Don't expect to get 120 uses per can. I'm getting about 30 uses following their directions. Also, old can lists Argon first and new can lists Argon last of the 3 gases present. Argon is much more expensive than Nitrogen or Carbon Dioxide, the other 2 gases present. Argon is also the heaviest of the 3 gases and hence protects the wine best. This new gas mixture still works to help preserve the wine, but you pay more and get less with the new can.
on July 27, 2011
This stuff is pretty straightforward, you spray it into the bottle when you want to recork it and it prevents your wine from oxidation. The directions say a half second spray immediately followed by 4 short sprays, though I use about a one second spray. I've used it for other alcohol too, like sake. It says you can get 120 uses per can, and based on my usage, I'd say that's accurate. Highly recommended.
on January 8, 2009
I love wine. My husband does not love wine. I cannot drink (nor should I drink) a bottle of wine my myself every night and manage to feel human the next day. This saves me the guilt of pouring my darling vino down the drain. I've used it a couple times. I opened a bottle, went out of town for a WEEK, and decided to see how the red wine had fared when I got back. Not GREAT, but not BAD. I've had this same type of wine become undrinkable in just a few days (I'm picky), so I know this inert gas helps. It's not a miracle... or, maybe it is!
on March 14, 2014
This stuff really works. No longer do you have to finish a bottle of wine or risk losing it's flavor over a day or two. I can now regularly drink my half bottle, knowing the rest of the bottle will be just as good when I go back to it in a day or two. I've used a vacu-vin for years; this is so much better for preserving an open bottle of wine.
on December 20, 2014
Great product. I use this to keep my whole coffee beans fresh (i.e.: freshly roasted beans, not from the super market)

Coffee beans off-gas CO2, which keeps the bag fresh before you open it. I use this product to keep that same new bag smell and taste.

Using inert gas prevents coffee bean oils from going "rancid" and interacting with the oxygen. A bag smells great for a longer period of time, instead of the first 2 days.

Steps

1. I carefully squeeze the bag shut starting at the end closest to the beans
2. Then, I apply 3-4 squirts into the semi-closed bag.
3. After that I wrap it up to close the bag.
on August 26, 2015
Interestingly, the last cans of this product I bought for less than this price were a larger size! This can is ONLY 8.2 grams, the cans I bought last time, here on Amazon, were all 9.7 grams. Looks like they have increased their profits by selling less product for the same price. Also, the golden cap is now larger, original product has a slimmer cap (and can is a bit taller). If the picture of the product is correct at least one can tell with a glance that the can is the NEW SMALLER version (by the wide cap). Original product was $5.67 per 9.7 grams (case of twelve, shipping included in that price). Too bad the price has gone up, this is a great preservation system that I have used for many years.
on August 21, 2014
My partner does not like wine. I do. I really should not drink an entire bottle of wine in an evening, and I haven't found a bagged/boxed white wine that can be favorably compared to its bottled counterparts. Being able to keep an opened bottle of wine around for a couple of days, then, is in my best interest.

I am very cheap, and thought that a can of compressed gases was a rip-off until I saw this article on The SweetHome, where the authors bench tested the Private Preserve product to an array of vacuum systems and fancy plugs. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-way-to-keep-open-wine-fresh/

Bottom line? A can of Private Preserve is cheaper than everything else that they looked at, and the only thing that did any better than just throwing the wine in the fridge.

If you don't overdo it, you should be able to get 120 uses out of one can. I can't confirm or deny this yet. So far, I know that you can get at least 5 so far. If the claims are true, your cost per bottle should be between 7 and 8 cents per use, which is a huge bargain when you compare it to having to discard the un-drunk wine after it sits in the fridge and turns to vinegar.

The only caveat: I often say "Oh, I'll have another glass tonight, so I shouldn't spray the bottle just yet." only to find the next morning that I forgot to spray the wine at all.
on November 30, 2014
I have no doubts about opening expensive bottles of wine for just one glass anymore. This will keep a bottle in drinking order for atleast a week. Just keep filling with the gas after each time you open and are done drinking. This has truely changed the way I decide on which bottle to open for a glass. Love love love this. I give it as a gift with every bottle of wine I give to someone.